YouTube Won't Play...

darita

Jul 19, 2007
Whenever I try to play a video from YouTube, the iPhone tells me "This movie could not be played." I have the lists of movies, but cannot play them. Any solutions?

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
Is it every movie you try to play or just one?

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Whenever I try to play a video from YouTube, the iPhone tells me "This movie could not be played." I have the lists of movies, but cannot play them. Any solutions?
yah that happens to me a lot too. my guess is there are no solutions yet but it is probably on youtubes part. maybe they didn't encode it right or something

mdixon1988

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
springfield, missouri
you know what, mine did that too.....i downloaded that ibeer video to show people at work, after it played it said would you like to delete to conserve space? so i answere yes, then it said you may now play you tube.....then the you tube started working again after a hard reboot....don't know why....

iJohn

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Long Island, NY
johnburke.tumblr.com
you know what, mine did that too.....i downloaded that ibeer video to show people at work, after it played it said would you like to delete to conserve space? so i answere yes, then it said you may now play you tube.....then the you tube started working again after a hard reboot....don't know why....
Thats very strange, I don't see the connection between a video that you downloaded to your ipod and the functionality of YouTube.

I have also experienced this problem with a few videos, and agree it is probably something to do with improper encoding, etc.

darita

Jul 19, 2007
Called iPhone support. He had me reboot and the problem is solved. I can now play YouTube videos.

fosterhere

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Cold Spring on Hudson, NY
I cant view MY OWN youtube videos I get a message that the video can not be played. Whats up with that ? Are there some youtube videos that are in a special iPhone encoding ?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I cant view MY OWN youtube videos I get a message that the video can not be played. Whats up with that ? Are there some youtube videos that are in a special iPhone encoding ?
Yes indeed: the ones that work on the iPhone have been re-encoded, and not all are done.

I believe I read that all will eventually be converted, perhaps not until fall however.

And mine don't play either. I don't share mine, they are mostly for friends and family (i.e., they haven't been viewed by others too often). I suspect they are converting the older stuff based on popularity (WAG).

--
Mike

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Mine recently started doing this - certain movies that DO appear on the iPhone's YouTube widget give me this error.