zboost cell phone extender

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Someone please google and link the results for this. I know its $170, and is said to boost cell phone reception. Which includes......EDGE!

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
These boosters do not work (at least it did nothing for me). It is also only designed to boost voice not data. You need a cell repeater with an outside antenna to do the job. Those will set you back 3 to 5 hundred.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
These boosters do not work (at least it did nothing for me). It is also only designed to boost voice not data. You need a cell repeater with an outside antenna to do the job. Those will set you back 3 to 5 hundred.
For starters this device does use an external antenna, and it did (does?) cost $300.

Second, the review in the NY Times, as well as a few other reviews I have read, claim it works well.

So to me Zboost would be very attractive if I wanted better cell reception at home. Heck if I can find this for $170 I might buy it.

--
Mike

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
there is a $300 external I believe. But I'm talking about a smaller "stick on your window" type device. They said the small one boosts edge. And this was in la where apparently AT&T has horrible reception. They highly recommended it. (both iPhone users) It was on g4.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
there is a $300 external I believe. But I'm talking about a smaller "stick on your window" type device. They said the small one boosts edge. And this was in la where apparently AT&T has horrible reception. They highly recommended it. (both iPhone users) It was on g4.
The reviews on that cheaper model are not nearly as impressive or consistent.

If you buy one make sure you can take it back.

--
Mike

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
Let me rephrase a bit.....

You have to have a good signal to see a boost with these cheap devices. Even the instructions will tell you that this is the case.

So if you have a solid 3 bar signal, you will see 4 and might (loosly stated) see 5.

If you have 1 or 2 bars you will not see any appreciable change. Unless you mount an outside, and high up antenna.

Finally, the antenna provided with zboost is meant for attic install. It is also not the best design of cell antennas (there are better ones).

My direct experience with these, and I bought it after reading positive reviews, it that it does not work for those folks who really need it (weak signals).

My testing was with ATT in Maryland. Areas and signal frequencies vary.

The only real way to consistently boost a weak signal is to buy a repeater with an amplifier built in, and mount an external antenna. A repeater, will however, still work reasonably well with an inside antenna.

Here is a reference to this equipment:

http://www.mycellularsolutions.com/DB_wirelessmobile.html

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Let me rephrase a bit.....

You have to have a good signal to see a boost with these cheap devices. Even the instructions will tell you that this is the case.

So if you have a solid 3 bar signal, you will see 4 and might (loosly stated) see 5.

If you have 1 or 2 bars you will not see any appreciable change. Unless you mount an outside, and high up antenna.

Finally, the antenna provided with zboost is meant for attic install. It is also not the best design of cell antennas (there are better ones).

My direct experience with these, and I bought it after reading positive reviews, it that it does not work for those folks who really need it (weak signals).

My testing was with ATT in Maryland. Areas and signal frequencies vary.

The only real way to consistently boost a weak signal is to buy a repeater with an amplifier built in, and mount an external antenna. A repeater, will however, still work reasonably well with an inside antenna.

Here is a reference to this equipment:

http://www.mycellularsolutions.com/DB_wirelessmobile.html
That's a car product. The zBoost device is for a home or office.

We took a gamble on the zBoost product, installed it right after the winter holidays and it’s done an amazing job of solving our cell phone reception problems. Jason reports that it’s practically doubled his Motorola Q’s battery life (Verizon service). I can comfortably take and make calls on my cell phone sitting at my desk (Cingular service) — no more needing to step outside and battle with the noise of traffic. For anyone considering getting one of these things, I highly recommend the zBoost product. We bought ours from here at Wi-Ex for $399.
http://rake.sh/blog/2007/01/31/zboost-cell-phone-signal-booster/

The zBoost Dual-Band grabs cell signals and strengthens them inside homes and businessses, often bumping up the signal display on a phone by two or three bars. The system supports G.S.M. and C.D.M.A. phones, so it works with all systems except some Nextel phones. It is available online at www.wi-ex.com and other sites for less than $400.
Installation is fairly simple, and unless you have experience in radio engineering there is little need to tweak things. The system comes with a large outdoor antenna and a long cable. You mount the antenna to an outside wall or just stick it out a window. Then you move the receiver to your low-signal zone and plug it in.
In a test in a basement that has traditionally been a dead zone, reception improved from one or two bars to a full four bars. Cave dwellers now have one less excuse for being antisocial.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/30/technology/30cell.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

--
Mike

JWilliams

Feb 16, 2008
I have the zboost zp (the $170 unit) on my desk at work and it works great for me. i wasn't getting any of my messages and my phone kept dying by the end of the day because the battery was working so hard to find signal. i read a lot of articles about it before i purchased and from what I've gathered they work with all smart phones. considering the phone was more expensive than this booster I've thought it has been a great investment. Here are some of the articles I read:

http://www.iPhoneatlas.com/2008/01/29/increase-in-dropped-phone-calls-under-iphone-113/

http://blogs.pcworld.com/tipsandtweaks/archives/006240.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/10/AR2008011004286_2.html

They sell them all over the internet but I just bought mine direct from the manufacturer because they honor a guarantee (though as of now I don't think I'll need it). Obviously they can explain the ins and outs much better than I can. www.wi-ex.com

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
Tinman, Its a wireless product that will work in the home or in the car. Search the site as there are many other options.

I can only tell you my experience for my situation. I tried numerous products and all of them did not work.

The repeater/amplifier product I noted was $595 when I was looking. If I was staring today, I would start with a repeater/amplifier.

If the zBoost works for you, then great....it did not work for me at all.

psherris

Aug 30, 2008
zboost only improves my reception when I have 3g turned off. The same was true for my son's iPhone so I don't think it's my handset. With 3g on I have one bar or no connection, with it off I get 5 bars. With 3g on I cannot make calls, with it off no problem. Is this Apple or Zboost?

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
zBoost only works on certain frequencies so it could be the boost.

I would buy a real cell amplifier/repeater....and mount an antenna. I don't think anything else will work.

Zboost cannot help 1 or 2 bar folks.

soilsample

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
South Louisiana USA
I have a zboost set up at home.
If you have one area where you can get a steady signal (even one bar) it will boost that signal and broadcast it to a much larger area.
If you have no signal it will not help.

The unit is shipped with a non directional antenna. They offer a "yagi" antenna which is supposed to allow you to aim it at a tower for better performance.

inate08

Jan 20, 2010
No zBoost waste of time, Go Wilson Electronics instead

I too purchased a zBoost and it didn't work for me. So before I purchased anything else I wanted to be sure that what I did get would definitely work.

I did my research and found that Wilson Electronics was the best in the cell phone signal boosting businesss. I called them and they referred me to one of their dealers a company called www.Unwiredsignal.com. After being tranferred them I talked to the main tech guy there. He was very polite and knowledgeable. He asked some questions about my situation, then he made a recommendation based on my answers.

I purchased the kit the recommended (Wilson's Dual Band Pro 841262 Kit) only cost me about $630 including shipping. Its dual band so it works for all providers except Nextel. Once I set it up and plugged the amp in, my cell phone went from no bars inside to full bars... it not only took those two bars from outside and brought them in it also boosted it! :eek:k:eek:k I have had my kit for over 3 months and have no complaints.

I am completely satisfied with my booster... this one acutally did what I needed it to do. The guy at www.Unwiredsignal.com knows what he is doing and what he is talking about. I recommend them to all who need to solve their cell phone signal issues. Call them and see what they can do for you... you'll just be another satisfied customer like me!:)

Hope this can help some one.
Nate :028:sarge

Anderson3G

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
in my case, zBoost works well ... home in northern WI where AT&T coverage sucks, but on the outside of the house (northeast corner) you could get 4-5 bars of Edge service if you stand still; while inside, and mostly due to double studded construction, ziltch or maybe 1 if you're standing w/ your arm pointing toward ... you get the point ... by placing the antennae in the attic on northeast corner, and the broadcast unit in family room, we now get 4-5 bars of Edge service ... to be completely honest, there are glitches every so often but much better than before.