ZiPhone 2.5 just released

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
I didn't quite understand why Zibri said not to fear the 3.9BL over the 4.6 version?

I'm not an unlocker, do I need to care what bootloader I'm on?

amiroo79

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Southern California
I didn't quite understand why Zibri said not to fear the 3.9BL over the 4.6 version?

I'm not an unlocker, do I need to care what bootloader I'm on?
I think if you have BL4.6, you won't be able to unlock after the jailbreak... so maybe you don't have to worry about it since you're only concerned about jailbreaking it... but, perhaps it is better to wait for now to see how it goes.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
no.

with BL 4.6, it is very difficult to downgrade the baseband should you ever want to go down a step on a firmware, i.e. from 1.1.4 to 1.1.1 and be able to get service.

S

Starry

I'm scared to ask what is ZiPhone?

S

Starry

ok so I Nates to 1.1.3 do I wanna do another jailbreak or is that not jailbreaking? What do I need to do to have the latest and greatest?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
ok so I Nates to 1.1.3 do I wanna do another jailbreak or is that not jailbreaking? What do I need to do to have the latest and greatest?
Ideally, you want to get to 1.1.4 in case there is anything in there that is needed in order to run post-SDK official apps. To do so, you'd want to start by getting your phone to a 'clean' restored state on 1.1.3, then update to 1.1.4, and then run ZiPhone latest version. That's my quick take on it anyway, others may chime in with other ideas ...

S

Starry

Ideally, you want to get to 1.1.4 in case there is anything in there that is needed in order to run post-SDK official apps. To do so, you'd want to start by getting your phone to a 'clean' restored state on 1.1.3, then update to 1.1.4, and then run ZiPhone latest version. That's my quick take on it anyway, others may chime in with other ideas ...

Can't I just do the update on iTunes? or does that not give me 1.1.4?
I'm cornfused :(

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
You need to do a restore rather than an update in order to make your phone cleaner before running the new jailbreak. At least that is my impression of how things have been for both the 113 and now 114 jailbreak scenarios ...

S

Starry

OK now your talking GREEK to me I haven't a clue LOL

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
OK now your talking GREEK to me I haven't a clue LOL
Generally, if you're jailbroken already, doing an update and then trying to JB again, leads to problems - not least with things like apps that are not available to uninstall, but are still there taking up space and preventing you from running them properly. So, it is better to do a full restore, wipe the iPhone, before jailbreaking with the latest ZiPhone.

The good news is the restore will be the longest part of the process, since ZiPhone is ridiculously quick ...

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines

First, Re install the 1.1.3 so that you have a fresh 1.1.3 non-jailbroken phone. Then upgrade to 1.1.4 through iTunes. Then go to ziPhone jailbrake. That simple......

S

Starry

First, Re install the 1.1.3 so that you have a fresh 1.1.3 non-jailbroken phone. Then upgrade to 1.1.4 through iTunes. Then go to ziPhone jailbrake. That simple......
I never had the 1.1.3 I was already jailbroken back when Chris posted how to do it. like months ago! I'm sorry :( I don't know what your talking about and will this make me lose my themes and things? :(
Like ok how do I get to the first part? I'm blonde go slow! LOL

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
go to this link..http://www.modmyi.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=6 and get your 1.1.3 firmware and put it on your desktop. Go to iTunes and push the shift key while you press the RESTORE button on iTunes. This will allow you to navigate to your desktop and get the 1.1.3 firmware and reinstall it to the iPhone. Then do it again but don't push the shift key and let iTunes put the 1.1.4 firmware on. Then go to ziPhone to jailbrake.

I forgot to mention to reinstall wahtever firmware you currently have first. You'll also have to download that firmware from the same site as well

S

Starry

NOW I GOT YA!
Thank you !

paa79594

Silver
Jul 23, 2007
Los Angeles
www.theplasticguys.com
I was on 1.1.3 jailbroken and recently updated to 1.1.4 waiting for this release. Is it recommended I FIRST restore before I jailbreak again, or can I go right into it.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Latest, greatest, easiest jailbreak method for firmware 1.1.3 and now 1.1.4 - in many people's opinion ...
I have to disagree on the "easiest" part. Jailbreakme.com was the easiest.