ziPhone killing the battery

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
anyone notice after running ziPhone and installing some apps that the battery goes dead A LOT FASTER? i mean its understandable that if it is processing more things, then it will use more battery, but before i ran ziPhone i could surf and do everything i needed to do, now if i surf and do stuff on it it will be close to dead in 2 hours? i know the battery isn't bad because it was fine before i ran ziPhone 2 days ago. just wondering if anyone else encountered this and if you figured out any tricks to fix it? i have blue tooth off, wifi off unless i am using it, and brightness turned down.

Tsn223

Bronze
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago, IL
I have a large amount of third party apps on mine, but I haven't had any decrease in battery life. It doesn't seem odd though that that could be a possibilty.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I have a large amount of third party apps on mine, but I haven't had any decrease in battery life. It doesn't seem odd though that that could be a possibilty.

I'm with you TSN... I have not seen any battery problems as of yet.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
If you leave SSH on, then yes, you'll drain your battery a lot faster.

Use BossPrefs to turn SSH off when its not in use.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
thanks man, i'm just installing the app right now, appreciate it

what exactly does ssh do, i mean i know i had to have it to get customize to work, but when should i turn it on to do stuff, and when should i have it off? kinda like turning the wifi on when i'm gonna use it know what i mean?

thanks again.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
It opens a line of communication with your iPhone. When its on, its listening for a connection. You only need to use this when you plan on moving files to and from your iPhone that you couldn't normally do through iTunes. Therefore, when you're not transferring files, keep SSH off to save your battery life. :)

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah, I have everything turned off as I did back on 1.1.2 (went from 1.1.2 to 1.1.4) even the auto brightness. The battery still drains amazingly quickly now. I will leave the phone on overnight to wake me up and after about 6 hours of sleep in standby my battery will have gone from 98 to 58%. This only happens sometimes. Its weird other times my drain will only be 4% over those few hours. Same with daily usage. Back on 1.1.2 my battery life was amazing.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
maybe you could try backtracking and start removing a diff app each day or couple of days and work at the problem that way.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, I have everything turned off as I did back on 1.1.2 (went from 1.1.2 to 1.1.4) even the auto brightness. The battery still drains amazingly quickly now. I will leave the phone on overnight to wake me up and after about 6 hours of sleep in standby my battery will have gone from 98 to 58%. This only happens sometimes. Its weird other times my drain will only be 4% over those few hours. Same with daily usage. Back on 1.1.2 my battery life was amazing.
sounds like your battery life indicator is out of sync with reality. do you often charge up with over 25% battery left? If so, try draining it once then fully charge it. That should more accurately portray the real battery life.

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
sounds like your battery life indicator is out of sync with reality. do you often charge up with over 25% battery left? If so, try draining it once then fully charge it. That should more accurately portray the real battery life.
I'll try this, I often do this to condition the battery (old habit) every 2 weeks to one month and I haven't done it for a while. Thanks.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
great idea, i'll do it tonight, i generally never let it get past half before i recharge it. thanks for the advice