ZiPhone/Power Button

zer0dmb

Nov 8, 2007
Hi Board:

I am currently running jailbroken 1.1.1 FW. I was thinking about upgrading to 1.1.3 and using the ZiPhone jailbreak method. Anyway, my question is the shutdown/power button on my iPhone is broken, does not work, is it a bad idea to use this method to jailbreak, since all instructions require using the button. Anybody have any ideas for a work-around?

Thanks in advance,
zer0

amiroo79

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Southern California
I don't know of any ways to do this because a lot of these steps require you to shutdown after a restore which means that the phone is in a locked state and in the activate screen.

I think it's impossible to remedy for 2 reasons:

1) Say someone were to write a program you can get via installer. How would you use it if your phone is in lock mode and in the activate screen?

2) Say someone were to write an ibrickr type of program that shuts it off via cable. how would you restart it without the button? It's not like you can do it via cable anymore as the phone is in an "OFF" state.

Can you get it repaired? All you'd have to do is look around for ways to pop it open and then repair the button. Shouldn't be too hard as it is a mechanical button so it's gotta be noticeable. Try googling "how to open up iPhone" as many have had to get a pry tool to get to the battery or replace the screen.

Good luck.

zer0dmb

Nov 8, 2007
Thanks for the reply! I can actually turn it off, as you may know, when you exit out of Installer after updating/installing an app, it brings up the shut down screen(red slide across the top). I have shut it down before, and it will restart after I plug in the cable, but to be honest, I almost never shut it down for fear it won't restart. I have looked at opening it up, but if kind of freaks me out. Jailbreaking is one thing, but I am worried about permanently breaking it up if I open it.

Does anyone know if you upgrade via iTunes to a normal 1.1.3, if it requires a shut down?

Thanks,
zer0

amiroo79

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Southern California
Ok....

"I can actually turn it off, as you may know, when you exit out of Installer after updating/installing an app, it brings up the shut down screen(red slide across the top)."

?

I have never seen that before. :confused: Has anyone else seen the red slider for shutoff after installing an app?

As far as opening it up, yes, I understand its risky and if not done right, the case will not close tight once you put it back together.