ZiPhone Question? Look here before you post a new thread!

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
UPDATE - SOME DAY IN AUGUST (yes I'm that lazy))

DO NOT USE ZiPhone. it can cause irreversible damage, that require incredibly long hours to fix. not fun.

right. this is aimed at nobody in particular, I'm just sick and tired of 10-15 new threads every day about the SAME THING. I recommend you read this before even thinking of doing a jailbreak/unlock.

Note: if you ever restore after using ZiPhone, or you ever want to return your phone to a truly stock state and avoid all problems that may arise in the future, select "Set up as NEW phone in iTunes when it asks you for instructions following a restore. This is called a "new partnership". Also, before you click that restore button, make sure everything you need is synced, as your backup in iTunes will be deleted as soon as you click "Set up as New Phone", so be aware you will lose EVERYTHING. you will, however, be able to get back most of it, if you synced your things correctly.

Info about Firmwares

1.0.0 - first release. ancient.
1.0.1/2 - minor fixes
1.1.1 - first major update, adds iTunes music store, double clicking of home button, and TIFF exploit - easiest one to jailbreak and unlock - until ZiPhone.
1.1.2 - minor fixes, patched the TIFF exploit (meaning jailbreakme.com doesn't work anymore) louder sound.
1.1.3 - amazing update. adds the wiggly icons, LocateMe in GoogleMaps, ability to use gift card codes in WiFi iTunes music store, ability to play rented movies, chapters in movies bought from iTunes.
1.1.4 - minor bug fixes.

Q&A Section.

Q: What is ZiPhone?
A: ZiPhone is a tool released by Zibri, an Italian hacker. it unlocks, jailbreaks, and activates all firmwares of the iPhone, and, I have heard, the iPod touch. Most recent version is 3.0

Q: What setups will ZiPhone work on?
A: ZiPhone does everything
1.0.0-1.0.2 - jailbreak only
1.1.1 - Jailbreak and unlock
1.1.2/3/4 OTB - jailbreak and unlock, downgrade BL to 3.9
1.1.2/3/4 upgraded - jailbreak and unlock.

Q: What is the chance I will get a brick after using ZiPhone?
A: Incredibly small. Zibri claims not a single iPhone has been bricked using his process.

Q: Where can I download ZiPhone?
A: Here - www.ZiPhone.org, then click Download ZiPhone.

Q: I GOT NO SOUND AFTER USING ZiPhone WHAT DO I DO OMG?!?!
A: go to settings-->general-->reset-->reset all settings if that doesn't work, restore and try again.

Q: what if I want to just jailbreak as I am a legit AT&T customer?
A: use the button "Jailbreak Only"

Q: I want to use a jailbroken and unlocked 1.1.3/4 from unjailed and unlocked 1.0.2. what do I do?
A: Restore to 1.1.3/4 and use ZiPhone, press Do It All.

Q: My notes don't save, my pictures don't save, and safari doesn't remember where it was.. what's going on?
A: You selected Restore from a previous backup. restore again, and make sure you set up as a new phone.

Q: Installer doesn't download anything! it just says "Package download failed!"

A: Go to All Packages, install Community Sources.

Q: What does "Refurbish" Do?
A: Removes all locks from iPhone, so that you can restore to any firmware. Refurbish does not = restore.

Q: Why doesn't my Mail.app work?
A: download the 1.1.4 Mailfix.

Q: YouTube errors out, saying "Cannot Connect To YouTube"

A: You need to add i.unlock.no to your sources, then use YouTube Fix from the Unlocking Tools category.

Q: Can I use this on a Mac?
Q: Yes. when downloading, use the Mac link.

Q: After ZiPhone, iFuntastic, INdependence, and ibrickr tell me by phone isn't jailbroken although it is.. What is this?
A: For some reason, after Jailbreaking, the above mentioned programs don't recognize the iPhone unless you add i.unlock.no to your sources, and download ZiPhone ibrickr fix from the Unlocking Tools Category.

Q: What is the difference between BL 4.6 and 3.9?
A: No real difference - except 3.9 is easier to unlock. 3.9 will let you have the most current baseband, unlocked, whereas with 4.6 is more dangerous in this sense. 3.9 is better.

Q: iTunes opens up and displays messages about how iPhone needs to be restored while ZiPhone is working. Does it matter what I do with it?
A: No. disregard all messages until ZiPhone is finished - then close all messages, and within a few seconds, iPhone should reappear in source pane - provided you haven't disconnected it - as a regular, activated, iPhone.

Q: Must I first restore my iPhone with iTunes before I can use ZiPhone to jailbreak/unlock?
A: Yes.

Q:Ok, I'm done jailbreaking - what should i do now?
A: Download BSD subsystem, first and foremost. A large amount of programs use it, so its easy to download.

Q: How do I properly restore from a jailbreak without losing my contacts, calendar, and bookmarks?

A: There are several different ways you can sync with iTunes. The first listed here seems to work but is not the best method. Do #2.

1.Every time you connect and sync your phone, iTunes will make a backup. This will contain ALL the settings and data in your phone (EXCEPT media... but this can always be resynced via iTunes). When you restore from a jailbreak and select to restore from a saved backup, you will get your data back via this sync method. HOWEVER, this is NOT good enough... read on.

2.When you connect your iPhone and go to the Info tab in iTunes, you will see options to sync the data on the phone with various external applications (outlook, ical, address book... depends on what you have installed). You need to get and use one of these programs to sync your data OUTSIDE of iTunes. This way you can properly RESTORE AS NEW iPhone, resync with these external apps, and you'll have everything back minus settings.

In conclusion, One must understand these two things: 1. To restore to absolutely stock condition (for example, to safely upgrade to the new firmware in June), you NEED to select "new iPhone" when reactivating. And 2. Doing this will result in loss of contacts/calendar/bookmarks UNLESS YOU SYNC THEM to something other than iTunes. If you set it all up right, all you will ever lose is your system settings, which are pretty easy to redo.

Where can I find the iPhone firmware files?
In my opinion, 1.0.2 and lower are obsolete firmwares.
This is why i will only post links to 1.0.2-1.1.4. just click on the firmware you want to download it.

Thanks to Dave for the last Q&A.

have a good day.

baybay27

Mar 6, 2008
right. this is aimed at nobody in particular, I'm just combining the countless question threads that are created.

right. this is a Q&A type of thing.

Q: What is ZiPhone?
A: ZiPhone is a tool released by Zibri, an Italian hacker. it unlocks, jailbreaks, and activates all firmwares of the iPhone, and, I have heard, the iPod touch.

Q: What setups will ZiPhone work on?
A: ZiPhone does everything
1.0.0-1.0.2 - jailbreak only
1.1.1 - Jailbreak and unlock
1.1.2/3/4 OTB - jailbreak and unlock, downgrade BL to 3.9
1.1.2/3/4 upgraded - jailbreak and unlock.

Q: What is the chance I will get a brick after using ZiPhone?
A: Incredibly small. Zibri claims not a single iPhone has been bricked using his process.

Q: I GOT NO SOUND AFTER USING ZiPhone WHAT DO I DO OMG?!?!
A: Restore, and try again.

Q: what if I want to just jailbreak as I am a legit AT&T customer?
A: use the button "Jailbreak Only"

Q: I want to use a jailbroken and unlocked 1.1.3/4 from unjailed and unlocked 1.0.2. what do I do?
A: Restore to 1.1.3/4 and use ZiPhone, press Do It All.

feel free to ask more questions.

have a good day.
good day! i have an unlocked iPhone.,it's 1.1.2..i used installer and installed a lot of applications then i lost the installer icon..i found out that i have to install summerboard or dock to have access on the other apps that i installed..what should i do?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Good thread. I would maybe add one thing to your FAQ section:
Large number of people have had issues when they do not elect to setup a new partnership in iTunes with this method. Many common issues seem to get resolved via a restore and then making sure new partnership is established.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
good day! i have an unlocked iPhone.,it's 1.1.2..i used installer and installed a lot of applications then i lost the installer icon..i found out that i have to install summerboard or dock to have access on the other apps that i installed..what should i do?
i can't think of anything for you to do except restore to 1.1.4, and use ZiPhone to unlock and jailbreak..

phred26

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
Oakville, ON, Canada
wow i have been trying to find this mysterious youtube fix for so long, people kept telling me to go into all packages but it was never there! (only the 1.1.4 was there but I have 1.1.3), thank you so much!

Also, is the 1.1.4 update really that necessary? i am completely terrified to update cause my iPhone is unlocked and i really don't wanna have a brick, i plan on waiting till the 2.0 update so its worth it.

baybay27

Mar 6, 2008
themanofthedark please help me..i tried to restore my firmware to 1.1.3 but it says that it cannot restore..i keep on getting error 1012..what can i do?:(

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I first could not connect to youtube at all. I did the youtube activation install and it didn't fix the issue. I did a restore and then youtube came up before ziPhone. I jb'ed with ziPhone and the message comes up that I can't connect to youtube but after I click ok I can see the video's. Any suggestions?