Jun 16, 2010
Reception... compared to 3GS

Speaker phone loudness...compared to 3GS

Thanks a ton

IPhone warrior

Bronze
Jun 24, 2010
Las Vegas
Both are way better on I 4. I have talked 4 hrs 56 mins today which driving all over town and not 1 dropped call! Well done Apple, well done! Battery life is amazing also. I'm very satisfied.

Potter

Bronze
Jun 16, 2010
Thanks all so far,

So why already a statement from Apple regarding poor reception? I have a 3gs and have zero reception problems, it's been great. However...the 3gs speakerphone I have found to be the worst speakerphone of all.

Thanks again

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
Thanks all so far,

So why already a statement from Apple regarding poor reception? I have a 3gs and have zero reception problems, it's been great. However...the 3gs speakerphone I have found to be the worst speakerphone of all.

Thanks again
I think it may have been a manufacturing problem with the band around the phone using it as an antenna not really sure though knowing Apple they will jump on it and fix it right away though. I really don't understand how they can fix that issue in a software update though.

iMercer

Jun 17, 2010
Whole day at work without dropping a call... can't tell you the last time that happened with 3GS. Speaker on 4 not as good as 3GS.

Potter

Bronze
Jun 16, 2010
Apparently from what I'm reading at Gizmodo, Engadget, etc... Apples statement is to hold the iPhone 4 from the top when making a call, not the bottom...How in the heck can you hold on to the iPhone from the top? I tried it with my 3gs on a 4 minute call to a friend and I gotta tell you...no way.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Hard to believe that they didn't see this in testing, but it certainly makes a difference if you don't your fingers over the two black lines on either side. Great reception so far though if I only avoid those two areas. I can see some SNL skits coming up showing Steve holding the iPhone with a pair of tongs or something.

iPerry

Bronze
Jun 15, 2010
Central Massachusetts
That would be a great skit! Lolz but 3GS speaker was garbage I couldn't hear anything if there was anyone talking in the same room or anything at all matter fact.

iPhone 4 speaker is spectacular but I wish some sounds were louder like lock/unlock typing and what not

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
I actually think the lock/unlock is too loud. Hence while I will mute them in settings. The softer the better, but that is due to personal preference....and I can not stand typing clicks - again, personal preference.

Speaker is much crisper and the audio is louder and less muffled. AmbiSounds (app that plays whitenoise, etc - use it to help sleep at night) sounded clearer than it had on 3G for sure. Pandora sounds MUCH better. iPod/MP3 is not much different to me - but that might have been just been the songs that came on. However, it is still a pinhole speaker. It is great for what you got, but it ain't no boombox. ;)

Connectivity/speed vs 3G is AMAZING! I speculate it is faster than 3GS (wife has - never used much myself). The quick reaction time switching between apps and loading content is blistering fast. One of my most cherished improvements.

No dropped calls - but I've only made a couple, so I am not a reputable source in that manner.

Perplex

Silver
Jul 5, 2008
Columbus, GA
www.myspace.com
Hard to believe that they didn't see this in testing, but it certainly makes a difference if you don't your fingers over the two black lines on either side. Great reception so far though if I only avoid those two areas. I can see some SNL skits coming up showing Steve holding the iPhone with a pair of tongs or something.
lol but look at the good part of it. If someone calls you that you really don't want to talk to....Bam, instant excuse.

"Hey man your breaking up, ill call you back later!"