30-pin to Lightning Connector Issue

Jerome G

Bronze
Jul 12, 2010
We can; we're just saying it would be convenient to have a reverse adapter. Apple has switched to Lightning for all the new products, but some of us who have held onto one of the older devices could get rid of all of our 30 pin cables if this product existed.
Not trying to be argumentative but just trying to understand why the scenario would be more convenient. You need a cable and an adapter, why does it matter if it is lightning to 30 pin or vice versa ?
I have devices that use the 30 pin also but don't feel the need for the reverse adapter, the one the have now is fine. I still wouldn't throw away my old 30 pin cables if the reverse product came out.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Not trying to be argumentative but just trying to understand why the scenario would be more convenient. You need a cable and an adapter, why does it matter if it is lightning to 30 pin or vice versa ?
I have devices that use the 30 pin also but don't feel the need for the reverse adapter, the one the have now is fine. I still wouldn't throw away my old 30 pin cables if the reverse product came out.
Because I have about five Lightning cables connected to various things (computer, USB chargers, wall adapter, etc.). I primary use Lightning since I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad mini. Occasionally, I use my 4S. When I do, I have to find the 30 pin cable, disconnect the Lighting cable, and connect the 4S. If I had an adapter like the OP wants, I could get rid of my 30 pin cables and not have to disconnect the Lightning cables - I could just connect the adapter to the Lightning cable and plug in the 4S. Like I said, it would be more convenient. For, having an adapter for the device that is the least used would be the most convenient.

Jerome G

Bronze
Jul 12, 2010
Because I have about five Lightning cables connected to various things (computer, USB chargers, wall adapter, etc.). I primary use Lightning since I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad mini. Occasionally, I use my 4S. When I do, I have to find the 30 pin cable, disconnect the Lighting cable, and connect the 4S. If I had an adapter like the OP wants, I wouldn't have to keep any of the 30 pin cables or disconnect the Lightning cables - I could just connect the adapter and plug in the 4S. Like I said, it would be more convenient.
OK, I understand your situation now.
Would it have been more cost effective to just use 30 pin cables with lightning adapter instead of getting extra lightning cables (assuming you bought extra ones) ?
Then you can just unplug the lightning adapter when you wanted to charge the 4S

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
OK, I understand your situation now.
Would it have been more cost effective to just use 30 pin cables with lightning adapter instead of getting extra lightning cables (assuming you bought extra ones) ?
Then you can just unplug the lightning adapter when you wanted to charge the 4S
No, it wouldn't have been more cost effective because I would have needed five adapters (see my earlier post - the whole point for this setup is convenience). The adapters are $29 and the cables are $19. Also, I wouldn't want a bunch of adapters connected to 30 pin cables. I'm moving forward with Apple and I want to give away all of my remaining 30 pin cables. I'd rather just use a Lightning cable directly for my 5 and mini. I rarely need to charge that 4S, but when I do it would be nice to have a Lightning to 30 pin.

Jerome G

Bronze
Jul 12, 2010
You would still need the adapters (reverse) and 30 pin cables are cheaper than lightning.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You would still need the adapters (reverse) and 30 pin cables are cheaper than lightning.
No, they are not more expensive. 30 pin cables cost the same exact amount as Lightning cables. I would only need ONE reverse adapter. Since I rarely use the 4S, one adapter would be plenty. The point is that I could get rid of my 30 pin cables if it existed.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
If you're interested in digging more, here's what I searched for. Looks like a lot of other Apple forums have similar threads looking for such an adapter...

Last edited by a moderator:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If you're interested in digging more, here's what I searched for. Looks like a lot of other Apple forums have similar threads looking for such an adapter...
Since I prefer apple-made adapters and cables and know they don't make one, I hadn't even Googled it. The reason I prefer Apple products is that they are typically higher quality, always pass audio, and are less likely to cause problems with restores. I should have clarified in my first post that I probably wouldn't buy one unless it was made by Apple. Thanks for the links, though. The OP might be interested in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingstar

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
So. Cal
Yes Apple ($$$$$$) does make the adapter cord I need (30 pin female to lightning male) but they want $39 + shipping. Any other sources? Thanks