3D iPhone

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
My problem with 3D movies is that they are now designed and written for 3D, which means less storyline and more nauseating flybys and dizzy action scenes. The quality of the actual plot has dropped significantly as a result.

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
I have a Nintendo 3DS, I think that's cool, but I'm glad I can adjust the 3D-ness of it, so quite often I find myself turning it off completely. I don't think I'd ever use it on my phone if it ever came with it.

Phil DeLong

Bronze
Jan 16, 2011
IN
3D would actually turn me away from getting the next iPhone. I personally feel like it's more of a fad at this point, I don't need it by any means and find it somewhat annoying.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
3D would actually turn me away from getting the next iPhone. I personally feel like it's more of a fad at this point, I don't need it by any means and find it somewhat annoying.
Oh I agree! 3D is an awesome get meat in seats marketing tool for the movie houses, but dag on it man! Please let it die a quick painless death by the end of summer when everyone goes back to school!

3D will not be on any iPhone! Stevie just won't have it. :D

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
Oh I agree! 3D is an awesome get meat in seats marketing tool for the movie houses, but dag on it man! Please let it die a quick painless death by the end of summer when everyone goes back to school!

3D will not be on any iPhone! Stevie just won't have it. :D
I wonder if any Apple execs read this board? I hope so.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I wonder if any Apple execs read this board? I hope so.
They don't need to see this thread. I'm sure they already know that adding 3D to the iPhone is a bad idea and that it's not a feature that most people want or care about.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
They don't need to see this thread. I'm sure they already know that adding 3D to the iPhone is a bad idea and that it's not a feature that most people want or care about.
Perhaps, but then again they added a gyro...I didn't see that coming at all, and I personally never use it for anything, nor do I ever see any apps that really utilize it (maaaaybe GPS apps? Oh, and Jenga).

Phil DeLong

Bronze
Jan 16, 2011
IN
Perhaps, but then again they added a gyro...I didn't see that coming at all, and I personally never use it for anything, nor do I ever see any apps that really utilize it (maaaaybe GPS apps? Oh, and Jenga).
I find the gyro to be much less intrusive and annoying than 3D technology on a phone.

Reactions: Smarty2600

Phil DeLong

Bronze
Jan 16, 2011
IN
You've got a point there, unless you can disable the "3D" like you can on a Nintendo 3DS.
The Evo 3D (I believe it's called?) has that ability as well. And I agree, that would certainly be nice, in my personal opinion I'd rather just leave it out altogether though. My opinion is biased towards a certain type of use of the phone though. I use my phone primarily for communication and productivity enhancement, so 3D which is aimed more at media consumption just doesn't appeal to me. Someone who watches movies and records video/photo though would be much more inclined to want such a feature I assume.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
It would be cool in the sense you could show it off to your friends for 30 seconds every week or two. Just remember.. Apple make indisputable machines and gadgets. Not gimmicks.

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
I hope no 3D.

I wouldn't mind the bigger screen though. Isn't there a rumor that the viewable screen size is larger but the glass is the same dimension?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I can't even see why this is a discussion. Consensus is that 3D is not wanted or needed for the iPhone - except for the OP.

coolio865

Jul 18, 2011
IMHO Apple should AT LEAST put the feature in the iPhone, but just have it there for people that want to use it. I don't see why including the feature would make someone not want the phone if you won't use it. That's just like a person saying they wont buy a phone simply because games are on it. They don't have to play the games, so why would they have a problem?

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
^because it'll probably effect something. Either price, size or as someone mentioned earlier it seemed that when a 3D EVO was on 2D the screen looked fuzzy

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
IMHO Apple should AT LEAST put the feature in the iPhone, but just have it there for people that want to use it. I don't see why including the feature would make someone not want the phone if you won't use it. That's just like a person saying they wont buy a phone simply because games are on it. They don't have to play the games, so why would they have a problem?
Games are software. You have the choice of installing them. This is hardware. Hardware that wastes space and adds to the cost of the device. Every millimeter of space is well thought out in the iPhone so they can maximize specs while making the phone as small and thin as possible. Any extra space is going to be devoted to the battery, not something gimmicky like 3D. The high resolution display is one of the iPhone's strongpoints. If a 3D screen takes away from that, even a little bit, it's compromising something people care about for something they don't want.