3D iPhone

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
WOW! I didn't expect this response from this forum. lol So what if they add a feature that you may not use or care about. If you don't like it, don't use it. At least it will be on there for people that want to use it. Geez! This is a phone to make calls. Everything else is "gimmicky". Do we need 3D on a phone? No. Just like we don't need an iPod, camera , accelerometer, gyroscope, exposed antenna(FAIL), etc on a phone. But we like it because it has those hardware features even though all of us may or make not use them as much as the next owner. If Apple is able to implement 3D without additional battery drain and keep the retina display or better with a bigger screen, why not? I believe the LG Optimus 3D can record in 3D 720p with it's dual stereoscopic cameras and connect to a 3D HDTV via HDMI and playback in full 3D. I wouldn't mind having that feature. You don't like it? Then record in 2D like you normally do. Simple as that. No need to get all upset about it.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
3D is for kids but here we are hurling birds at pigs, slicing fruit, trying to get a bird with abnormally small wings to glide as far as it can, feeding a little green monster some candy, etc. lol

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
If Apple were to put a more powerful processor, better display and improved iOS but also had the 3D feature (that can be turned off) in the next iPhone, you would still dislike the new iPhone because it has that one hardware feature that you don't have to use? I would certainly hope not. That's like me saying I'm not going to like the next iPhone because it may have dual network support for both AT&T(GSM) and Verizon(CDMA) even though I'm not going to be using Verizon. I understand it's everyones opinion but I just think it's kinda weird how one feature can totally turn someone off even though they have total control of how they want it to affect them.

Hillbilly

Bronze
Feb 9, 2011
Unfortunate to some if the arguments here, adding 3D does likely affect the usability of the phone. One might "turn" 3D off but the display will have been designed for 3D with some trade-off for 2D. I say get a Nintendo if you want 3D gaming.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
WOW! I didn't expect this response from this forum. lol So what if they add a feature that you may not use or care about. If you don't like it, don't use it. At least it will be on there for people that want to use it. Geez! This is a phone to make calls. Everything else is "gimmicky". Do we need 3D on a phone? No. Just like we don't need an iPod, camera , accelerometer, gyroscope, exposed antenna(FAIL), etc on a phone. But we like it because it has those hardware features even though all of us may or make not use them as much as the next owner. If Apple is able to implement 3D without additional battery drain and keep the retina display or better with a bigger screen, why not? I believe the LG Optimus 3D can record in 3D 720p with it's dual stereoscopic cameras and connect to a 3D HDTV via HDMI and playback in full 3D. I wouldn't mind having that feature. You don't like it? Then record in 2D like you normally do. Simple as that. No need to get all upset about it.
"Everything else" is not gimmicky. We do need a camera, iPod, accelerometer and a compass. These are incredibly useful features that add to the functionality of the device. The gyroscope probably isn't necessary, but it works well for its intended use and enhances certain games. There is less hardware and cost involved with the gyroscope than there is with 3D. 3D on a small phone screen looks nothing like it does in a movie theater. It's more like a diorama. And it's nauseating and blurry unless viewed from a dead-on angle. This is difficult to do for more than a few seconds on a small screen. So, in my opinion, it's just a useless feature that adds to the cost.

Reactions: Smarty2600

kcschultz

Apr 1, 2010
Not happening on iPhone 5, however, Apple just applied for a patent on a multi-layer 3D screen. It's likely is coming, not soon though.
Link to article by Cnet.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
"Everything else" is not gimmicky. We do need a camera, iPod, accelerometer and a compass. These are incredibly useful features that add to the functionality of the device. The gyroscope probably isn't necessary, but it works well for its intended use and enhances certain games. There is less hardware and cost involved with the gyroscope than their is with 3D. 3D on a small phone screen looks nothing like it does in a movie theater. It's more like a diorama. And it's nauseating and blurry unless viewed from a dead-on angle. This is difficult to do for more than a few seconds on a small screen. So, in my opinion, it's just a useless feature that adds to the cost.
I'll have to disagree. We don't "need" those features to commicate on phones because the purpose of a phone is to speak to someone on their phone. Anything else on it is not needed which are just features that add entertainment and convenience in our lives.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'll have to disagree. We don't "need" those features to commicate on phones because the purpose of a phone is to speak to someone on their phone. Anything else on it is not needed which are just features that add entertainment and convenience in our lives.
The iPhone is a smartphone, not a flip phone that does nothing but make and receive phone calls. It has always had more than one purpose. We are a nation of overspending consumers, but I'm not going to get into what we truly need. This discussion isn't about all the things we could do without in our daily lives. I'm talking about what we want and 3D isn't a high-demand feature for the iPhone. There is limited space in the iPhone and I think they should pack it with the highest resolution screen, fastest processor and biggest battery, while leaving out the expensive (useless) stuff most of use would never use.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
What exactly do I need 3D for, the toilet pic. Thread?
Fuggedaboudit!
Or attempting to impress kids. Except it would probably turn out like that EVO commercial where the kids all think the guy is lame for trying to record a good 3D video.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
With something as well-designed and popular as the iPhone, any change in hardware will come down to priorities. I highly doubt 3D is a priority. If they had the space for a 3D screen, they'd rather devote it to the battery, believe me. Almost every hardware change to the iPhone so far has been to the benefit of the battery subsystem.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Or attempting to impress kids. Except it would probably turn out like that EVO commercial where the kids all think the guy is lame for trying to record a good 3D video.
lol sounds like smartphone making people do dumb things. I love that commercial.

Syamil

Bronze
Jan 31, 2011
Singapore
It's good enough my iPhone 4 is recording HD vids..
3D is suitable for gaming and movies, as we focus all our attention on it. But 3D on a small 3.5 inch touchscreen? A big NO.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I thought that the screen already WAS lcd... Did you mean LED? or AMOLED?

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
It's good enough my iPhone 4 is recording HD vids..
3D is suitable for gaming and movies, as we focus all our attention on it. But 3D on a small 3.5 inch touchscreen? A big NO.
I try not to settle for just good enough. If it doesn't have 3D, cool. If it does = more fun for me.