3G iPhone Owners: Does GPS show latitute and longitude coordinates?

SAFX

Jul 11, 2008
Does the new phone display latitute and longitude? I want to take the phone hiking with me and use it up in the mountains.

C130

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
Does the new phone display latitute and longitude? I want to take the phone hiking with me and use it up in the mountains.
I don't think it does, can't find it anywhere anyways and I believe I read that it did not. Hopefully with some of the Navigation Apps this feature will be available.

SAFX

Jul 11, 2008
I don't think it does, can't find it anywhere anyways and I believe I read that it did not. Hopefully with some of the Navigation Apps this feature will be available.
That's what I'm hoping for as well. If the GPS feature uses satellites, then the coordinates are definitely being used to fix a position on Google maps. Apple choose not to expose the coordinates, but that's ok, some 3rd-party app will fix that real soon!

Thanks
SAFX

BladeLWS

Jul 11, 2008
What we need is a 3rd party app that shows...

A) Accuracy in feet/meters
B) Lat/Long
C) Satellite overhead picture with signal strength from each satellite.

Some extras that would be nice...
A) Sunrise and Sunset times
B) Elevation
C) Speed

bpowell99

Jul 15, 2009
California
Does GPS show Lat & Lon?

Just a hint. I haven't found how to get the Lat&Lon to display, but if your out for a hike, take a picture at places you want to mark as waypoints. Then when you get home, upload the pictures. The GPS coordinates are stored in the picture. I've been using this trick when out treking with my 'real' camera, I take one iPhone picture, just so I have GPS coordinates for the other pictures.

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
What we need is a 3rd party app that shows...

A) Accuracy in feet/meters
B) Lat/Long
C) Satellite overhead picture with signal strength from each satellite.

Some extras that would be nice...
A) Sunrise and Sunset times
B) Elevation
C) Speed

Try the Motion X-GPS app.

~S

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
The navigon mobile navigation app shows GPS position. Its quite pricey but its also a great sat nav option too.