3G iPhone Vs original iPhone

oab

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I have an original iPhone that works quite well, has the latest software, many app's; and I haven't been bothered too much by the Edge network. My problem still is trying to decide if it's worth upgrading to the 3G. I have a 100.00 Apple gift card (from the rebate program) that will help with the initial purchase.
So, for those who have replaced their original iPhone with a 3G iPhone:

1. Do you have any regrets?
2. Considering the extra cost per month, (I think about 15.00 per month) do you think the 3G is worth it?
Any other comments pro or con will be appreciated.
Thanks

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
ok, so i went from a v1 to a 3g. and like you, the edge wasn't really much of an issue. and i don't regret it one bit. for one, i found out that the battery on my old one was really worn out, since my new one lasted much longer on one charge. i absolutely love the black cover on it compared to the (IMO) ugly v1.

and the extra cost is only $10 more per month. i don't think its too much. at first i was wanting to try to get it without the 3g plan, but now that i actually have it, i think its great.

so i say go for it, youll love the 3g :)

llckll

Bronze
Feb 18, 2009
I think it's worth it to upgrade because of 3G. Certain areas around me really benefit from 3G. A friend came over last night to watch Lost. She has the old iPhone and quite honestly, I like the back of the old iPhone better.

I also realized the font was different, I think...

May want to wait until June cause aren't they coming out with a new iPhone?

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hi OP,

My Wife & I made the same switch from 8GB V1's to 16GB 3G's, but it was a difficult decision for us, and now that we've made the switch I do have some regrets. We got our V1's about 6 months after original iDay and had them for a little over a year before we sold them on Craigslist for $330 each. For the record we never had a single problem with our V1's ever.

Why we decided to upgrade to 3G's.

I get a corporate discount on my voice & data plans for our new 3G's which wasn't available on the old V1. Our net increase for the 2 new 3G's is about $8 /month. It would have been $40 /month without my discount. This made the decision easier for us, but we had to sign up for new a 2 year agreement (we've been happy AT&T customers for 3 years, so this wasn't a problem).

We both never had a problem with edge because there are just so many WiFi hotspots in downtown Honolulu. The reason we like 3G is because of simultaneous voice/data (still receive SMS while using Pandora).

Quality is an issue with these new 3G's. As I stated before, our V1's never had any issues (both JB). I'm on my 3rd 3G. My first had micro cracks on the white case backing. My second had the glass screen seal come loose and the glass started to lift up and let all kinds of dust in. So far my third has been great. My Wifes 3G has some micro cracks also, but she hasn't bothered to replace it. If it gets worse she probably will.

Also, if there is a new iPhone that comes out anytime this year we probably won't be able to upgrade and receive the subsidized price because of our new 2 year agreement.

After looking at it now, I probably would not have upgraded and just waited for a new iPhone model.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
If you can wait until this summer, I would. It seems very likely a new model will be released then.

At least, that's what I'm doing.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I agree with Hippo. If you have waited this long then waiting for the summer shouldn't be that much harder.

I made the switch to 3G on iDay2 and haven't really regretted it since. I don't like the new "warmer" screen still but the 3G speed is just awesome.

aknightstale41

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
i upgraded mainly for the gps feature thinking there would be a turn by turn with voice pompt app in the making and Apple would finally allow it...but no such luck there....but i did pick up a great app today that has everything my garmin has except voice...g-map.
Nada regrets with this 3G upgrade, simply the best tech gadget on the market. Buy the 3G, then ebay it a week before the V3 comes out.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
i upgraded mainly for the gps feature thinking there would be a turn by turn with voice pompt app in the making and Apple would finally allow it...but no such luck there....but i did pick up a great app today that has everything my garmin has except voice...g-map.
Nada regrets with this 3G upgrade, simply the best tech gadget on the market. Buy the 3G, then ebay it a week before the V3 comes out.
If you haven't already, check out xGPS v1.2, free, with voice turn-by-turn and due out on Cydia around March 7th:

http://xgpsdev.xwaves.net/

BoneHat

Feb 17, 2009
I have both a V1 and 3G. V1 seems heavier in pocket and seems to be due to the silvery metal-like back plate. I do like the all black 3G tho, and it is lighter. One notable difference was the 3G speed. Burns Edge on Safari browsing easy.

GPS and the intro of MS Exchange was also nice on the 3G, though I had my IT guru at work set me up on Exchange months before on V1. But other than that and the lowered price I didn't see too much of a difference. What i did dislike was that the 3G was packaged sans the dock. V1 came with a dock and the fact they began selling it separately for $30 was disappointing.

The 3G charger also seems to be a bit quicker. Not confirmed though.

Bilal

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
G-Map is really good for now for gps features. xGPS will be awesome. I hope it has the 3d view that the 1.2 gmaps has.

G-Map devs should put a jb voice nav app and the we would all be happy(except non US ppl).

llckll

Bronze
Feb 18, 2009
I thought xgps was due to come out Feb. 20th. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a waiting game. Depending on how well it'll work, I might have to jailbreak again.

llckll

Bronze
Feb 18, 2009
I had winterboard installed and wasn't too bad. Once I installed backgrounder, game over.

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
I had winterboard installed and wasn't too bad. Once I installed backgrounder, game over.
i have winterboard & Backgrounder installed and don't have any lag. now if you try to background everything then yes youll get lag, but i only background my category folders (2) and Beejive, plus iRealSMS runs in the background on its own. Still no lag, although ProRSS reader quits after i read a good amount of things, i think it stores them in memory.

Bilal

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
I like to run with optimal memory so my only mobile substrate stuff is sbsettings and backgrounder(only one app at a time if needed).

I really enjoy my apps running faster and without crashing.

But im still curious. I haven't had winterboard for a while now, does it have a smaller memory consumption now? Before there was noticeable lag everywhere, the keyboard, scrolling through pages, etc.

ibrencent

Bronze
Oct 25, 2008
Palm Harbor, FL
I just upgraded and I think it was worth it, especially since they are offering refurb (which are really blemished) iPhone 3G's for $99 at AT&T. I knew that 3G was great in my area so I said what the heck and just went for it. I am not one to go out and buy the latest model when it first comes out, though tempting, but I resist the temptaion and wait till it becomes cheaper or I find one for cheap. So what if a new one comes in the summer time, you'll have the newest one available now and when the next version comes out you can wait until they fix any issues and buy it at a later time and possibly for a lower price.