3G speeds DISAPPOINTING... *video proof*

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Pretty disappointed after reading and seeing this...

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/1325

Well, MacRumors has found the above a video of a comparison made between the current EDGE-enabled iPhone, and a simulated 3G iPhone made by sharing an iMac’s 3G internet connection with an iPhone. The results? 3G is just under twice as fast as EDGE.
Hmmm… So, is that really that great? For months now I have been hearing 3G will bring “broadband speeds” to the iPhone. This seems more like the jump from a 28.8 kbs modem to a 56 kbs modem - nothing that will dramatically change the way I surf the web on the iPhone. Don’t get me wrong, if you told me the next MacBook was going to be TWICE as fast as the current one, I would certainly think it was a worthy upgrade, and I am not saying I won’t upgrade my EDGE iPhone to a 3G model when they come out, but these speeds seem somewhat disappointing. Sure, I am still hungry for the 3G iPhone, but I certainly am not in the “openly salivating” mode I was in originally. I actually have said from day one that I am pretty impressed with EDGE’s speed – YouTube videos play after about 5 seconds, web pages load decently fast, and mail is not a problem.
This video (if accurate) brings me back to my question of whether AT&T will attempt to charge more for the data plan of a 3G iPhone, and more importantly, will consumers pay more for it? Even before seeing that video I was leaning heavily towards the “No” camp, and now I am more or less definite. While I like the convenience of being able to surf the web while stuck in a line or waiting room, I still do 98% of my internet browsing on a computer with a fast connection and a real screen/keyboard. To me the bigger selling point might be if the processor inside the iPhone 2.0 is faster than the current one, as I find the slight interface delays more annoying than waiting for a web page to load via EDGE – plus it might increase page rendering speeds almost as much as the 3G bump itself (and maybe drain the battery as much too).
What are your thoughts? Will 3G make that big a difference? If 3G speed is the only difference between the current iPhone and the next Gen, would you still plunk down $399 to upgrade?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I've been trying to warn people not to expect broadband speeds. It will be faster than EDGE, but no one should expect WIFI speeds.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Now how much of a difference will this make when watching youtube videos? On EDGE, the quality is pretty bad. But seeing how 3G isn't as fast as advertised, I doubt the youtube videos will look that much better. I'll just have to go test out the floor models at the Apple store before jumping the gun and buying it on July 11th.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
It depends what page they were downloading. That's why Steve Jobs used National Geographic because it is quite graphic intensive. EDGE actually does a pretty good job at loading up many websites.

For me, ANY amount of internet speed improvement is worth it. If you don't browse on the go then it's not worth it.

Since I don't have an iPhone, I'm just buying the faster phone.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I've been trying to warn people not to expect broadband speeds. It will be faster than EDGE, but no one should expect WIFI speeds.
Pretty lame how the US is so behind compared to Japan. Download speeds are ridiculously fast on Japanese cell phones. Too bad we're busy over here spending trillions of dollars trying to take pictures on Mars. What a joke. NO BENEFIT TO US WHATSOEVER.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Now how much of a difference will this make when watching youtube videos? On EDGE, the quality is pretty bad. But seeing how 3G isn't as fast as advertised, I doubt the youtube videos will look that much better. I'll just have to go test out the floor models at the Apple store before jumping the gun and buying it on July 11th.
I'll be right there with you. After talking to the smartphone guy at AT&T the other day, I'm a little concerned about the speeds too. He was actually trying to say that EDGE was pretty fast by itself. It seemed like he was trying to tell me not to expect too much from the iPhone 3G.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Pretty lame how the US is so behind compared to Japan. Download speeds are ridiculously fast on Japanese cell phones. Too bad we're busy over here spending trillions of dollars trying to take pictures on Mars. What a joke.
Well you've got to remember the businesss mindset here. We believe everyone should build a better mousetrap and then take it to market. Every different cell provider used a different technology here for years. We have three or four different technologies here, where in other countries they've been perfecting GSM for the same amount of time.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Well you've got to remember the businesss mindset here. We believe everyone should build a better mousetrap and then take it to market. Every different cell provider used a different technology here for years. We have three or four different technologies here, where in other countries they've been perfecting GSM for the same amount of time.
All I know is AT&T is a joke. Even their home internet service. Their fastest internet speed in my area is 4mbps download and 768kbps upload because they use old copper lines instead of optical fibers. I wish I lived in an area that had Verizon fios service. I can't get anything besides AT&T.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Even at 16 seconds in that video, that just justifies all the more why I'm going to upgrade. 16 vs. 30 is still big.
You're not gonna get consistent speeds because all of AT&T's services are pathetic from their DSL, U-verse and 3G network. AT&T barely got their 3G service up recently. They're so far behind Verizon and Sprint it's ridiculous.

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
You're not gonna get consistent speeds because all of AT&T's services are pathetic from their DSL, U-verse and 3G network. AT&T barely got their 3G service up recently. They're so far behind Verizon and Sprint it's ridiculous.
Oh I understand that, I had a blackjack with 3G on AT&T and I realize that sometimes 3G wasn't the greatest, but my blackjack was always faster than the iPhone on EDGE.

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
All I know is AT&T is a joke. Even their home internet service. Their fastest internet speed in my area is 4mbps download and 768kbps upload because they use old copper lines instead of optical fibers. I wish I lived in an area that had Verizon fios service. I can't get anything besides AT&T.
Where do you live? Its the same here. ATT owns everything.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Is it just me or is the video not that disappointing? About 2x faster is just what the new phone is advertised as being, plus the video was done before AT&T boosted the 3G network right before the June 9 annoucement. I'm still excited.

Toranz82

Bronze
Jun 7, 2007
Florida
All i gotta say is that what do you all expect? this is over-the-air internet, and this is not japan. 3G is faster than EDGE period. If you don't think its going to be worth the $10 then don't do it.. but remember your getting GPS and a brand new iPhone. Plus i was paying extra anyways because 200 text messages is like handing someone a crum of food to last them a month. The other thing is that this test was being done on an imac connected to a 3G connection? hmmm

I'm getting new iPhone for 3G, and GPS. Also supposidly because the back is now plastic it increases the antenna signal.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Hey, it's an improvement, isn't it? You tell me, would you rather have EDGE or 3G, even if it is only two times faster? I'm still upgrading despite not even having 3G coverage here.

- John

iphone1027

Bronze
Jul 2, 2008
I must agree I will be getting the iPhone 3G b/c I had a while back an iPhone V1 and remember precisely saying to myself (before the anouncement/rumors of a possible 3G capable iPhone), "Man I wish this had 3G speed. Then I would definitely keep it." I was used to 3G speeds with my PPC phones, so that EDGE speed was really frustrating. Watching the page load up so slow I could make some coffee, come back and still see the page load.