3G speeds DISAPPOINTING... *video proof*

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Pretty lame how the US is so behind compared to Japan. Download speeds are ridiculously fast on Japanese cell phones. Too bad we're busy over here spending trillions of dollars trying to take pictures on Mars. What a joke. NO BENEFIT TO US WHATSOEVER.
If you knew how much technology was and is being developed in space that spans countless fields of science, you would not be saying what you posted. I am sorry, but your comment reeks of ignorance.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Hey, it's an improvement, isn't it? You tell me, would you rather have EDGE or 3G, even if it is only two times faster? I'm still upgrading despite not even having 3G coverage here.

- John
with all due respect, john... why would you pay $10/month more?

gps?

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
If you knew how much technology was and is being developed in space that spans countless fields of science, you would not be saying what you posted. I am sorry, but your comment reeks of ignorance.
Ummm.. how will you and I benefit in our lifetime from what NASA is doing in space? They're wasting our tax money.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Ummm.. how will you and I benefit in our lifetime from what NASA is doing in space? They're wasting our tax money.
You know there wouldn't have been any cell phones or gps or scratch resistant technology without the space program right? I just listed 3 things that you consider a waste of money yet are directly responsible for the development of the product you wish us to spend more money on! Do you see the irony here?

BTW the government is not responsible for deploying networks throughout the U.S. The money spent on NASA would have never been spent improving AT&T's network or any other network so it's a moot point regardless.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
You know there wouldn't have been any cell phones or gps or scratch resistant technology without the space program right? I just listed 3 things that you consider a waste of money yet are directly responsible for the development of the product you wish us to spend more money on! Do you see the irony here?

BTW the government is not responsible for deploying networks throughout the U.S. The money spent on NASA would have never been spent improving AT&T's network or any other network so it's a moot point regardless.
Wow. You just pwned me!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
our lifetime is not the issue. our knowledge is the culmination of thousands of years of trial, error, experimentation, research, etc. Maybe they won't find any signs of life on Mars, but the pursuit of lofty scientific goals like those often leads us to other (often totally unpredictable) discoveries.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
our lifetime is not the issue. our knowledge is the culmination of thousands of years of trial, error, experimentation, research, etc. Maybe they won't find any signs of life on Mars, but the pursuit of lofty scientific goals like those often leads us to other (often totally unpredictable) discoveries.
Exactly. The serendipitous discoveries are what will be interesting. And people have to stop thinking about only their lifetimes. I don't think a lot of these kids on here really grew up in the "space age" and have no conception of the technologies used in the home and industry that came from it.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I have been warning people too.. about 97% of the country doesn't have 3G coverage, and of those that do have coverage few get more than 2x Edge speed. There's going to be a huge number of people paying more money for the same service thinking they have 3G speeds.

It's sad... but people will flock to it like mad just because it's new.

I'm not buying a new iPhone. My v1 has everything I need at a lower price. Firmware 2.0 will resolve most of my issues. I can't wait for July 11th for my free upgrade.

For those racing out to buy the new 3G, I'm sorry.

Deltido

Bronze
Jun 27, 2008
I have been warning people too.. about 97% of the country doesn't have 3G coverage, and of those that do have coverage few get more than 2x Edge speed. There's going to be a huge number of people paying more money for the same service thinking they have 3G speeds.

I'm not buying a new iPhone. My v1 has everything I need at a lower price. Firmware 2.0 will resolve most of my issues. I can't wait for July 11th for my free upgrade.

Lol..You make it sound like 3g's worse than the original. 3g has got nothing but improvements, hence, it's an 'upgrade'.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if that was in response to me, i am simply saying that 2x EDGE speed is just not worth the extra costs for some iPhone1 owners. not knocking it at all. if i didn't already have an iPhone, i'd be all over it.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
if that was in response to me, i am simply saying that 2x EDGE speed is just not worth the extra costs for some iPhone1 owners. not knocking it at all. if i didn't already have an iPhone, i'd be all over it.
not targeting i completly understand not wanting to pay more for something you don't feel is worth it, but for others even a few seconds is a big deal

unheardthreat

Feb 15, 2008

as one of the people who are "flocking to it like mad just because it's new", this will be my first iPhone. i was all over v1 ,again, because it was new, but the reason why i didn't is because the lack of 3g. i can see why some would say 2x the speed isn't worth it, when theyve never had 3g before. i have 3g on my current phone, and when comparing with friends' iPhones whenever i REALLY wanted one, it just cant compare to me.

its always like this when new tech comes around. when i bought my hddvr and blu-ray player, i really wasn't sure if it was worth it, but when i watched at my buddies houses, i swore i was blind. when cable modems were new, i thought....ok. when i went and used my girlfriends dial-up... i was gonna kill myself. when i got my 3g phone, i thought it was aight. when i used the v1 iPhone, it was REALLY NICE AND SEXY, but internet was a killer

unheardthreat

Feb 15, 2008
oh yeh, and if the extra 10 bucks is the MAIN deterrent for an upgrade, i was informed by 3 att reps that the agreement with Apple changed and discounts for voice plans now apply, so the 15% i get from working at costco makes up for 20 bucks on my soon-to-be $130 family plan.. although they f'd me with the text

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
with all due respect, john... why would you pay $10/month more?

gps?
First of all, I travel a lot. There's a good chance I'll have some opportunities. Second, $10 is, at least in my eyes, well worth everything else iPhone 3G offers. Third, I need to upgrade anyway, as 4 GB will not hold all of my apps.

- John