3rd Party Support by Apple?

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
that businesss plan would never work. users selling their software to Apple so they will be allowed to publish them? no one would bother doing it.

i know you are angry about Apple being all about the money, but that notion is just ridicules. clear you mind, first and really think about what you are saying. no developer would waste their time with that, and Apple knows that.
this isn't the only post i wanted to quote but it sums it up...the question is are ANY of you serious Apple IS DEVELOPERS...why do you think we have this phone in the first place..im sure they can make all of the apps on installer easily...so don't go saying nobody will sell their apps they don't need to buy em they can make them themselves

Banzai

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
A few responses.

In regards to numbers of hacked phones:

I work in a very large corporation. When I was in marketing you would be surprised at the amount of attention a small vocal minority would get. If our offices had an issue where more than one person actually got in touch with us then that point made it on the executive agenda.

I don't think you realize how far customer feedback can go if it's done in the right place. If even 100 people out of the millions wrote to Apple via the feedback form with the message that they would consider jumping ship for an open alternative that point would make it all the way up to the Vice President if not the EVP of Customer relations. It would be his/her call as to weather or not to take it up from there but the attention would be had.

All we need to do is make a point as a collective and at the very least a statement would be made. Be it press release or a personal e-mail.

So, don't worry that speaking your mind won't make a difference because it will. You just have to have the fortitude to do it on the record.

Regarding the openmoko:

The platform is open source so it will be able to fit whatever phone that comes after it. Right now the option is the neo1973 but that is the first of many.

don't fool yourself. One of the biggest fear of both Microsoft and Apple is the development of open source. They are loosing a lot of businesss to it already and if they don't offer the same flexability they can expect to loose more of the pie. This is not theory, this is fact.

What Apple has working for them is the apathy of MOST of the users in that they will use the factory standard set up and they will download form the Apple store and they will use the Apple ringtoine maker.

Last Christmas Apple made TONS of cash on iTunes gift cards that will never be redeemed and the ones that were used lagged the server to hell. They are going to make money just serving up the lowest common factor.

Where they will loose money is to a savvy crowd who wants to develop and use the hardware the way they want to. In the scheme of things in the short term it won't make a difference but in the long term they are going to need to court the developers and the savvy crowd if they are going to expect to stay ahead of the open source moment.

The more restrictive they become on the iPhone the more revenue and influence they are going to loose to pen source and you can bet the higher ups understand this and are considering this very question.

Tip the scales and help them see the light. All I'm asking you is to consider letting your voice be heard for this freedom that we have been enjoying.

We know what this is capable of and it would be truly sad for the iPhone development team to be more concerned with limiting innovations rather than participating in them.

Did I mention it ships with GPS?

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
Apple IS DEVELOPERS...why do you think we have this phone in the first place..im sure they can make all of the apps on installer easily...so don't go saying nobody will sell their apps they don't need to buy em they can make them themselves

BINGO!:p