8GB iPhone is now going to be $399

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
my mom just walked into the att store and got the 4gb for 299...she's a happy woman.
oh lucky i had it for 10days now i wanna see can i get the price adjustment and stupid AT&T , i called em they told me there selling for 599 still

jai325i

Jul 26, 2007
Is this everyones first new phone? Almost ALL phones go through MAJOR price drops after a month or so of coming out. Remember how much a Razr was when it first came out? Or a MotoQ or a Treo. Come on people. Yeah if you bought the phone in the last week I can see being a little upset, but saying "shady businesss practices" or whatever, get over it. Apple didn't do this to "personally screw you" Yeah I paid full price for mine and I knew if i waited it out there would be a price drop, but I didn't want to wait. I wanted it now so thats just the "price" we pay for being first in line. Its ALWAYS like that with Tech. Xbox, PSP, Phones, DVD players, TVs, etc.
ive never seen a drastic price drop like that after only 2 months. When i got my sk3 the day it came out i got if for around 300 buucks, if im not mistaken its stll likke 299.99. This sucks on so many levels. I didn't pay 650.00 to b first. They can preach that they value their custumers crap, in the end its about gettin as much money as they can. Thats my 2 cents

jviphone

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
I don't know, 60 days is a long time when talking about consumer electronics.
guess your right..just venting..Im going to buy myself a new iMac to make myself feel better..better yet Ill just wait till christmas and they will be a lot cheaper..

Goronok

Aug 26, 2007
Pretty unbelievable stuff. I love how he comments on the 1million iPhone customers and phenomenal customer feedback and love from all the early adopters... RIGHT BEFORE SCREWING US ALL OVER. Lovely.

They definitely needed to do a price drop before Christmas, but couldn't they have waited another month or 2 out of simple respect for the early fans? A $100 price drop in October would have been much more palatable. This is more like a hardcore slap in the face.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I can't believe this, absolutely unbelievable. I'm amazed and floored they had this much profit margin in the iPhone, that they could drop the price so steeply.

Somekid231

May 31, 2007
One month ago:
"Come on, you can't all wait for the 'next model' or you'll be perpetually waiting...all those people that don't adopt early are just dumb, and you should just buy it...yes they'll come out with a new cheaper model...but at least we can say WE WERE the first to have it."

Today:
"Waaaaahhhhhh, waaaaaaaaaahhhhhh, waaaaaaaahhhhh...."

Jeez guys. Speaking as a person who WAITED; you guys just need to take your lumps. You all had the phone first and got to use it first, etc. Now the people who are patient can reap some rewards. It's as simple as that. No rebates, no sell back, just chill out and realize the should-be-well learned lesson:
DON'T buy new gadgets when they FIRST come out.

Oh and by the way, as it was told to me when I complained about the orginal price:
If you stay in school and get a job, maybe some day you can afford the $200 ***** slap life lesson you just got.

Tee hee.
(in all seriousness, that is a bummer though.)

;)

-C

Matt Random

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
What's funny is a lot of the people on this forum kept saying how Apple would neverrrr screw their customers by lowering the price or releasing a new iPhone within the near future. They definitely screwed us over with the price, but whatever.
That is the argument I used to convince myself to buy one a month after the release. I'm still in shock that Apple did indeed significantly lower the price within a couple of months. I was prepared for a price drop after 6 months. I expected it to be announced after Christmas. I'm angry that this drop came so soon.

jai325i

Jul 26, 2007
Btw safari crashed on me three times writing that message. Thanks Apple! I'm so pissed because I'm constantly defending why I paid so much for this sh$t and now they drop the price. NICE!

L_E_O

Jul 3, 2007
Is this everyones first new phone? Almost ALL phones go through MAJOR price drops after a month or so of coming out. Remember how much a Razr was when it first came out? Or a MotoQ or a Treo. Come on people. Yeah if you bought the phone in the last week I can see being a little upset, but saying "shady businesss practices" or whatever, get over it. Apple didn't do this to "personally screw you" Yeah I paid full price for mine and I knew if i waited it out there would be a price drop, but I didn't want to wait. I wanted it now so thats just the "price" we pay for being first in line. Its ALWAYS like that with Tech. Xbox, PSP, Phones, DVD players, TVs, etc.
63 days? Come on man. I know people who got the RAZR when it was $399, but it didn't drop by 33% in 2 months. Apple absolutely has to do something to make this right, or this will begin the biggest PR nightmare they've had in years. I can see the nightly news coverage already. Even Sony isn't this brain dead.

jviphone

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
One month ago:
"Come on, you can't all wait for the 'next model' or you'll be perpetually waiting...all those people that don't adopt early are just dumb, and you should just buy it...yes they'll come out with a new cheaper model...but at least we can say WE WERE the first to have it."

Today:
Waaaaahhhhhh, waaaaaaaaaahhhhhh, waaaaaaaahhhhh....

Jeez guys. Speaking as a person who WAITED you guys just need to lake your lumps. You guys had the phone first and got to use it and all. Now the people who are patient can reap some rewards. It's as simple as that. No rebates, no sell back, just chill out and realize the should-be-well learned lesson:
DON'T buy new gadgets when they FIRST come out.

Oh and by the way, as it was told to me when I complained about the orginal price:
If you stay in school and get a job, maybe some day you can afford the $200 ***** slap life lesson you just got.

Tee hee.
(in all seriousness, that is a bummer though.)

;)

-C
This Just in my Rolex is now being sold for 200 bucks, guess everyone will have one of those too..

Mac Insomniac

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I can't believe this... I got my 8g one month ago! Apple really sucks big time. If I had known that they would have reduced the price by $200 bucks, I'd have waited. My friends all told me the price would go down, but in a month! I was planning on getting an Apple computer NO WAY now! I'm not buying another Apple product. I like the iPhone but not $200.00 more than It's really worth. I guess we all are "eating crow"... I'll be hearing a lot of "I told you so".... Apple is really hurting their core group of iPhone users. I can see lowering the price in 6 months or a year... but in this short of time it really stinks. :mad::mad::mad:

BS don't be a fool! An Apple computer is not the same thing as an iPhone. They don't just drop the prices on Apple computers (wouldn't matter if they did). Not buying an Apple computer because the iPhone dropped $200 is well you can't say the word but you know what i mean.

The iPhone sucks the price drop sucks AT&T sucks but Apple computers don't suck and are worth getting any day rather than a PC! No OOO NO my computers down....hold on while I reboot....OOO NO that didn't work....hold on while I run anti virus...and so on and so on and so on...

ha ha consumers

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The iPhone must be tanking.

RIM is about to release new versions of the Blackberry 8800 and Curve as well as the Pearl and it appears Apple had to make a move. Heck, I was waiting on the Curve with GPS...

Look at it from a businesss perspective. I have NEVER seen a 33% percent drop on a product (successful) like this. Even in the technology sector you can look at other phones, gaming systems, and almost TVs (be careful not to compare TV prices from pre-holiday to post-holiday due to supply issues) and not see such drastic price reductions.

Someone help me find an example of any other Apple product that has experienced such a significant price drop in this short of time.. heck, they don't even lower the prices usually as they just give you more at that same price point.

More and more this price move signals fear by Apple regarding the iPhone. They cannot (and Steve WILL NOT) have the phone of the century go down in flames and if he has to slash the price to get mainstream America to go after it he will.

Somekid231

May 31, 2007
This Just in my Rolex is now being sold for 200 bucks, guess everyone will have one of those too..
I don't get it?

Either you mean your actually selling your rolex to 'get back' the aformentioned 200 dollars.

Or
You are a person that places their own self worth on how many gagets he has that OTHER people don't have.

IF it's the latter, then THIS just in:
Your 200 dollar watch has the same functionality as a $4.99 target watch. (loser attached to it not included.)

-C

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
63 days? Come on man. I know people who got the RAZR when it was $399, but it didn't drop by 33% in 2 months. Apple absolutely has to do something to make this right, or this will begin the biggest PR nightmare they've had in years. I can see the nightly news coverage already. Even Sony isn't this brain dead.

Ok then what about the guy who backed me up by saying he got a new blackberry for $599 and two months later it was $99 with a rebate. This isn't my only phone to hit a MAJOR price drop within a couple months. This has happened with just about EVERY phone, computer, TV, DVD player, printer, car, game console, etc I have ever had. Yeah sometimes its 6 months, sometimes its 2 months, Sometimes its 3 weeks. Just is a matter of when you bought it and when they drop the price.

And they are offering a refund for people under the 14 days old. So I think thats AWESOME! Just think of the companies who would say "Oh gee sorry about that but sometimes thats just how businesss can be"

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ok then what about the guy who backed me up by saying he got a new blackberry for $599 and two months later it was $99 with a rebate. This isn't my only phone to hit a MAJOR price drop within a couple months. This has happened with just about EVERY phone, computer, TV, DVD player, printer, car, game console, etc I have ever had. Yeah sometimes its 6 months, sometimes its 2 months, Sometimes its 3 weeks. Just is a matter of when you bought it and when they drop the price.

And they are offering a refund for people under the 14 days old. So I think thats AWESOME! Just think of the companies who would say "Oh gee sorry about that but sometimes thats just how businesss can be"
You cannot look at rebates when doing your cost comparison. Promos and rebates come and go. In order to be Apples to Apples (couldn't resist) you have to look at the non-contract price...

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
dude THOSE dumb birchess!&$*#(&$ at AT&T said i they don't give price adjustment what the.......! i need go to the store to return my phone and take a 10% restocking fee that sucks! atleast i still get back like 140 bucks but y , when i called them they said we don't give adjustment y not?!?!? r u guys having the same problem and im sorry for you guys who had it for more then 14days

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I've been selling iPod and iPhone hacking softwares on my website for months so I guess this is bad karma coming back to me. Screw you Apple, I still made over $5000 on you!

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
You cannot look at rebates when doing your cost comparison. Promos and rebates come and go. In order to be Apples to Apples (couldn't resist) you have to look at the non-contract price...
True but that blackberry one didn't "go" it just came and stayed. I understand what you are talking about. I know I have got a DVD player from BestBuy (or was it CircuitCity) and they had a price guarantee and a couple weeks i got a check in the mail and was like "wtf is this for" I guess I got the DVD on the cusp of a price cut. I also know that I got a coupon for a discount on a TV and used it but a week later the TV was back at the normal price and no coupons were honored anymore. But this is the nature of the game and I understand people's frustration. Hell I wish i waited 2 months before I jumped on the bandwagon myself, but I didn't. But I'm not screaming for Apple/AT&Ts head and think they are EVIL for doing what they are doing. I don't think they "screwed" me and I'm not taking it personal like they intentionally were out for "F" the first buyers. Thats all I'm trying to get across is that its not EVIL and unheard of that stuff like this happens all the time. But before you know it people are gonna start screaming "class action!"

Matt Random

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
The iPhone must be tanking.
I'm thinking the same thing and it worries me. I want the iPhone to be around for a long time since I don't plan to replace mine for at least 3 years. I tend to hold onto electronics for quite a while and I very rarely jump on the gotta-have-it bandwagon.

Successful products do not see much of a price drop. I bought my Canon 30D almost a year ago for $1300 (after shopping around and watching prices for 3 months) and it still sells for $1300 even with the 40D being announced recently. It doesn't bother me that the 30D isn't the latest in the product line since I've enjoyed for a year now.

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
well they probably trying to compete and wanting to see more peopel carry this phone around or somethign but anyone here who had it for less then 14days AT&T are u guys able to get price adjustment?

t74supra

Bronze
Aug 31, 2007
just picked up the 8gb for 400 so now im new to this y does it take so long to process an account