1) After 50+ hours my phone was finally activated. I can synch and download from iTunes, but I can't make or receive calls, surf the net, send text, etc?
2) So this has to be an AT&T issue?
3) I tried switching SIM cards, no dice...
4) I have been the hot potato between AT&T service reps spending hours on hold.
5)Any advice before I throw in the towel and return the iPhone and forget I ever had this experience and stick with my Treo?
1) Are you using a PC or Mac to setup your iPhone?
2) No, only seems that way
3) Must use iPhone sim card
4) They have not been trained by Apple so they only know whats up on their end. iPhone activation is very complicated not like other phones.
AT&T activates all their phones in the store in 20 minutes, but Apple would not allow them to do this. Nor would Apple agree to share iPhone info with AT&T activators so they could be of more help.
5) Don't throw in the towel, just try to remember that Apple is in control, they set the rules, this is their game, they chose AT&T, and not to train them, and you and AT&At Are in the middle of this. It will get sorted out.
For more help, go to the Apple site and lookup "preparing for your iPhone they have lots of good info there explaining what you need. It's just that they did not tell you or AT&T about this. (it's top secret, like most things at Apple)
Be patient (I know you already have) and work through the shortcomings that Apple left both you and AT&T with. You will eventually get it working and then you can send your thanks to Steve Jobs and Apple for making it so fast and such a fun experience.
I know first hand as my iPhone has provided just as much of a challenge as yours had. It's normal when we bought into the Apple Hype. I just as much of a sucker as the rest of us here.
While we were struggling, he was out playing Golf.......
Oh, and once you get it up and running, don't expect too much. We are the beta testers of this first version.