Activation?

GSXRMike

Silver
Jun 21, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
Should it be taking a long time to activate? I'm talking almost two hours now! I called AT&T and they said the servers are probably busy and to just wait it out but I don't know. How can I be sure it's linked to my account?

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
GSXRMike said:
I just talked to AT&T again. The servers are down...completely. It'll be some time before anyone can activate. Fail.
Dude everyone and their mothers are trying to activate. It'll go. Just sync the phone and set it all up and by the time you're done it'll be activated.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Deke736

Bronze
Jul 24, 2008
Near St. Louis, MO
On 3G launch day it took me about 15 HOURS to get my phone activated through AT&T servers, so I feel your pain. Just sync it and let it go. You're current phone should work fine until the new one gets fully activated.

Good luck.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
Does the iTunes activate really work by itself.
The instructions from AT&T indicate you must first call or go to their activation site.

I have an upgrade, and will use items if its 100% the process.

iJohn

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Long Island, NY
johnburke.tumblr.com
I remember back when they released the first iPhone and their policy was the guy had to set it up and activate it for you in the store - I was in the store for three hours, then they let us leave and then it took another six at home.

Second iPhone - same deal.
Third iPhone - slightly better, but same deal.

It sucks, but good luck!

iJohn

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Long Island, NY
johnburke.tumblr.com
Does the iTunes activate really work by itself.
The instructions from AT&T indicate you must first call or go to their activation site.

I have an upgrade, and will use items if its 100% the process.
Yep. Just plug in your phone, agree to the terms, put in your billing zip code and SSN and you're done. It'll tell you it may take some time, but doesn't prevent you from syncing it or anything like that.

Deke736

Bronze
Jul 24, 2008
Near St. Louis, MO
I activated mine through iTunes last night and it took about 10 seconds. My old 3GS disabled itself immediately and my 4 was up and running within about 30 seconds after the activation went though. Obviously today it may take a little longer.

GSXRMike

Silver
Jun 21, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
Soooooo....when I went into AT&T to pick up my second iPhone, I asked them about the first one still activating so they asked to see it. Come to find out...the programing they did to it when I picked it up "fell out" somehow. I could have sat there until 2015 and it would not of activated. Keep that in mind if yours is taking a long time...it might not be the servers as everyone seems to think...

LudaMan

Bronze
Aug 22, 2007
I was told by the dude in the Apple Store that it might take a while...got home at 1, and by 2:30, it still wasn't activated. I restarted it, and it activated.