All iPhone Reviews

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
Great effort

Well like the title says, this is a great effort by Apple. While not having everything, this is an unbelievable product. I'm going to review this from the 4 major functions of the phone.

Phone- The phone on this for me is the weakest part of the device. I'm not nuts about the speaker clarity for speakerphone calls, or the ear volume when using it like a normal phone. If you're in a crowded place with some noice, it can be difficult to hear the other person. The contacts are great. It's easy to use, when you're not on the go. It's slightly more difficult if you want to answer a call while driving. Being able to just flip a phone open was easier. SMS messaging is fine, except you can't send to multiple people, a function that I used a lot and am finding myself already missing. No picture messaging is also a down fall. Voicemail is great. I love being able to just rewind right there on the screen Not bad. 3.5/5 stars.

ipod- Unbelieveable. Really, really good. Again, the quality with the speaker phone isn't as good as I'd like, but is fine with the earbuds. Cover flow is an aesthetic bonus and is really clear. The way you can pick how you want to view the music is great. Video isn't bad. The youtube videos that I watched weren't bad, but I haven't watched a DVD yet, which I believe will be way more clear. I'll save my full review on the video until later. I love how you can just put a song on and then send out some text or whatever. Great. 5/5 stars.

Safari- Not bad. EDGE so far hasn't been as bad as the horror stories everyone said and I was prepared for. Haven' used WIFI yet, so I'll update review later. Websites are unbelievable and what you can do is unbelievable. No flash is a big hit on this because it could be a full 5/5. But for now 4/5 (potentially 4.5 when i use the wifi and could be a 5/5 if there was flash).

Apps- Weather is cool. Google maps is great. Email is fine. Camera is ok, could be better, but I'll get a real digital camera if I want to take a lot of pictures. 4/5

Bottom line- What it is missing that I'd like on updated model. Texting to multiple people and MMS, flash for browser, update to ringtones and ability to assign them.

The touch screen is really the home run for me. It is unbelievable. This makes everything so easy to navigate and the way the phone is set up is incredibly easy and it's almost fool proof. All of the litte piches, taps, scrolls, flicks are great and really well though out. The keyboard takes some getting used to, but i'm typing just as fast as on my old phone, which is what they said would happen.

If you're a businesss buff, it probably isn't for you. But if you're someone like me who wants an ipod (or a better one), great web browsing, texting, check email and have some other cool apps, this is a great device.

Iceblinkluck

Bronze
Mar 30, 2007
Long Island NY
I suggest you try phonescoop.com for the best review I have seen yet. I love these guys at phonescoop. They are very accurate about the pros/cons regarding most phones. Overall I feel they gave a positive, realistic and the most thorough review I have seen yet. Check it out please.

ugotipws

Jul 4, 2007
NY Times: David Pogue
- "so sleek and thin, it makes Treos and BlackBerrys look obese."
- After walking around with the iPhone unprotected for 2 weeks, no marks on it. Glass smudges are easily wiped off.
- 700 megabytes is occupied by the phone’s software
- Making calls can be a 6 step process if phone is off.
- Web, Email is superior
- Battery Life Test: 5 hours video, 23 hours audio. Note: did not turn off Wi-Fi and other features as Apple suggests.
- Typing was OK. Difficult at first, but learned to "trust" the keyboard. "The BlackBerry won’t be going away anytime soon."
- Cites AT&T network as iPhone's biggest downfall. Cites Consumer Reports survey which ranks AT&T network as last or second to last in 19 out of 20 major US cities.
- AT&T’s EDGE cellular network: "excruciatingly slow"
- Slideshow of photos taken with iPhone
- Video Review

Newsweek: Steven Levy
- bottom line is that the iPhone is a significant leap
- The iPhone is the rare convergence device where things actually converge.
- e-mail looks more like you’re working on a computer than a clunky phone
- YouTube videos work great on Wi-Fi, but can display in a lower quality when you’re not at a hotspot and are using AT&T’s EDGE network
- unless I did a lot of video watching or Web browsing, [the battery] could generally last the day
- I’ve been jamming it in my pocket with keyrings, coins and pens, and so far it’s nearly as good as new.

USA Today: Edward Baig
- Apple's iPhone isn't perfect, but it's worthy of the hype
- The revelation is that it's also comfortable to hold and touch.
- I expected to miss the tactile feel that a physical keyboard provides. I didn't.
- You can hold a conference call with up to five people.
- No voice recognition or voice dialing
- halfway decent internal speakers for listening if you set the thing down
- iPod games are not compatible with iPhone
- our company tech department raised questions about the security settings Apple required with our Microsoft Exchange servers.
- Battery life didn't prove to be a big problem in my unscientific tests
The Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg and Katherine Boehret have posted their review of the Apple iPhone.

Mossberg and Bohret
tested the iPhone for two weeks in multiple usage scenarios and in various cities:

Our verdict is that, despite some flaws and feature omissions, the iPhone is, on balance, a beautiful and breakthrough handheld computer. Its software, especially, sets a new bar for the smart-phone industry, and its clever finger-touch interface, which dispenses with a stylus and most buttons, works well, though it sometimes adds steps to common functions.

Some highlights:

- largest, highest resolution screen of any smart phone they've seen, most internal memory
- Impressive battery life and thin
- Feels solid
- Regarding the touch keyboard: "After five days of use, Walt -- who did most of the testing for this review -- was able to type on it as quickly and accurately as he could on the Palm Treo he has used for years."
- Can't use T-Mobile SIM cards
- Wi-Fi capability doesn't fully make up for the lack of a fast cellular data capability
- Multitouch: "effective, practical and fun"
- No way to copy/paste text
- Microsoft's Exchange system support
- Voice call quality was good, but not great
- Can't record video
- No Adobe Flash support
- Songs can't be set as ringtones

Apple says it plans to add features to the phone over time, via free downloads, and hints that some of these holes may be filled.

The iPhone Matches Most of Its Hype [New York Times]
The iPhone is Breakthrough Handheld Computer [Wall Street Journal]
Apple's iPhone isn't perfect, but it's worthy of the hype [USA Today]
At Last, the iPhone: A first look [Newsweek]

check this out, hilarious interview with the iPhone!
http://home.telephonology.com/?p=51

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan Glazen

Jul 4, 2007
Elegant and ARROGANT, bottled before its time

Say what you will, but aside from a beautiful form factor and some fun ways to navigate, this phone is not as good for practical use as blackberry curve/8800 or the latest Treo's, and that is a fact.

You cannot type confidentally on the iPhone. It is probably the best one can do if your quest is total window-driven touch, but full mechanical qwerty keyboards work far better. I have to check every word that iPhone inserts, I can never be sure it got it right.

This is a back breaking failure. It means that no serious professional who relies on his handheld device for email can seriously consider buying the iPhone.

The rest is fun and games, honestly. What true "better way" have they introduced? I like having bluetooth and wifi, but others have it. I like how thin it is, but others are in the same territory.

And let me tell you this: Apple and ATT are two birds of a feather----you think Apple is so cool, but how do you feel about them bragging about a 55% profit on these phones? How do you feel about them even selecting ATT? How do you feel about ATT's entire (slow) edge network collapsing throughout the nation on Monday and neither company acknowledged it?

Apple is way less cool than their marketing people have been able to portray them. They are like TARGET, totally hip in concept, tragically crass and commercial in all other regards.

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
Everyone is talking bad about the EDGE network they have on the iPhone. I'm using a Blackberry Pearl (until my iPhone comes) and it runs on the EDGE network as well, now this phone is fairly new and in my opinion should have been on the 3G network. But anyways, I use the internet on it and I didn't think it was as slow as many say it is. Infact, a lot of people are bad mouthing AT&T (Cingular) as a service provider, in my area, AT&T (Cingular) is the strongest of all carriers, maybe that is why the EDGE network isn't as slow as many make it out to be, at least to me.

As for the typing, I haven't experienced it first hand, but I don't think it can be that hard to type. I would like to be able to turn off the word suggestion/spell checker thing they have on the phone, not sure if you can or not, hopefully you can. Just for the fact that having a little bubble pop up would distract me from typing. But if you keep typing, sooner or later you should get used to it. I had trouble typing on my Blackberry Pearl at first, but now I can type pretty fast.

I was worried about my fingers being too fat for the virtual keyboard, however, I've seen others with bigger fingers than me and they're able to type fairly good for not having much time to get used to the phone so far.

seabreeze

Jul 1, 2007
Volume is a big issue for me on this phone, I love the phone for everything else it does, except it needs to be louder! MUCH LOUDER on calls, ringtones and the speaker phone needs the volume cranked up at least 5 times more. What I don't understand is why Apple hasn't given us the choice to set the volume thats best suited for each individual?

AllanGT

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Dallas
A review of my personal iPhone expierience -

So I've had my iPhone for about 2 days now, and I couldn't be more satisfied so far. Before I got it I kept reading about all these little bugs and kinks, such as the volume not being loud enough, Safari randomly crashing, slider keys not operating properly, jumping to the home screen on it's own, etc...

Well I have to say that I have not expierienced any of these bugs. I've been using the iPhone non-stop since I got it and not once have any of the apps crashed, all of the touch-screen interface has been flawless, I've made and received calls while inside a bar, driving in the car etc. and the earpiece volume doesn't seem to be an issue at all. The EDGE network could be a bit faster, but I haven't had any excrutiating load times while browsing, and I haven't come across any half loaded pages or anything like that. The keyboard feature was one of my original worries, but after a full day of normal use (texting back and forth, notes, and e mail), I feel pretty confident while typing, it turned out to be a lot easier to get used to than I expected. The visual voicemail feature is really one of my favorite things about the iPhone, that's one of the big gripes I've had with cell phones as far back as I can remember (having to go through 9 messages just to hear the 10th).

I even expected it to be a big hastle trying to activate the phone, but within 5-10 minutes I was up and running with no problems (the only problem was that I had my Windows firewall enabled that prevented me from accessing the iTunes Store - but that was an operator error lol).

All in all, my iPhone expierience has been great. I was a little sketchy after reading some of the reviews and opinions after the release date, but I'm glad to say that I'm very satisfied with my purchase. It's everything I expected it to be, and so far all of the features have been as advertised. :)

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
Volume is a big issue for me on this phone, I love the phone for everything else it does, except it needs to be louder! MUCH LOUDER on calls, ringtones and the speaker phone needs the volume cranked up at least 5 times more. What I don't understand is why Apple hasn't given us the choice to set the volume thats best suited for each individual?
I was told by people an another site that it was loud, but when I found this site everyone said the opposite. This is important to me, I never use the ear bud or headsets, I use speakerphone everytime I make or receive a call. This is a deal breaker for me in every case, however, I already sold my Blackberry Pearl so I can't turn back now. If it is as low as I've heard, I hope they will fix it. I agree with you, the user should have the choice to set the volume that is right for them.

iBnkr

Jul 5, 2007
iPhone Volume

I am having a HUGE problem with the volume (ear speaker) outside in NYC. It just is NOT loud enough to overcome outside noise like ALL my other previous phones. I have to wear earphones, which makes no sense.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

iPod volume is ok. But ear speaker and speark phone volume is horrible. I have it all the way up in a normal room inside. And my hearing is fine!

Michael

moonwally

Jun 30, 2007
I am having a HUGE problem with the volume (ear speaker) outside in NYC. It just is NOT loud enough to overcome outside noise like ALL my other previous phones. I have to wear earphones, which makes no sense.

iPod volume is ok. But ear speaker and speark phone volume is horrible. I have it all the way up in a normal room inside. And my hearing is fine!

Michael
Are you sure you have the volume all the way up. I read some comments on the Volume being low and I took a chance on it. I must report that it's way louder than my Moto Krzr, although I must say that the Krzr was especially weak. On the whole, I'm pleased.

iBnkr

Jul 5, 2007
Volume Problem

Are you sure you have the volume all the way up. I read some comments on the Volume being low and I took a chance on it. I must report that it's way louder than my Moto Krzr, although I must say that the Krzr was especially weak. On the whole, I'm pleased.
Try using it outside on a noisy street. Just does not work well at all. Yes, I have the volume all the way up based on what the bars are telling me. Others complaining about this also. I will go to Apple store tomorrow and compare against other phones.

seabreeze

Jul 1, 2007

Michael
As I said Volume is the biggest issue for me. If they can fix it, and I test it. I will buy it again, No question about that. I think the iPhone is the best mobile device out there, and I want it.......I only returned it because of getting stuck with a 2 year contract...... I want to make sure it works well as a phone before comitting......

seabreeze

Jul 1, 2007
IGN recently reviewed the iPhone. They liked it, gave it a great review.

Click here
Thanks for the link, I read the review and also saw the clip. As I said, I really liked the iPhone, just need to sort out and make sure the volume issues are resolved. I need the phone to work as a phone. The speaker phone is really important to me, and once they have fixed that and the volume I will go back and buy it. By that time the 2nd generation ones should be coming out, so I will more than likely wait for a 2G iPhone. Thanks for posting the review.

Jymac

Jul 8, 2007
About Time

Well I've read a lot of the post here and I'm so glad I did not have half the troubles some have encountered. Personally the only thing that bothers me I'd the battery usage when searching through youtube and streaming, other than that I am enjoying my iPhone immensly. Before iPhone I would never use text messaging or anything on my previous phones, I never liked any of them. Now I am constantly texting and exploring the wired. The iPhone has truly introduced me to the world I have long avoided, where the sidekicks and blackberries failed to capture my attention the iPhone has exceled.

chris1207

Jul 1, 2007
Just returned my iPhone

Had two that were bad: the first wouldn't play MM correctly, bad video and audio on both podcasts and youtube. Level 3 made an appointment and sent me to a store for what turned into a two hour wait. They verified it wasn't the content, rather a hardward issue; replaced the phone and captured it for analysis. Second phone wouldn't charge fully. Bring it back told to reload the OS ala Dell and sent honme to do that. Did that same problem, make an appointment with the genius and take it back to the Apple store. He fiddles with it, connects to multiple power sources and says they need to replace it. I say leave the new one in the box so I can bring it back to ATT. He checks and they give me my money back w/o going back to the ATT store at which I bought it. So relatively impressed with Apple to make good on it. I go to the ATT store to cancel the account and the sales guy wh's number 1 concern that this is a hit to his activations for the month, says he needs the IMI(?) number and the Apple receipts don't have it. He calls the store, sits on hold for 20 mintues, decides he loosing mor ebusinesss than mine by not getting a new customer from the line, and puts the cancellation through anyway. Say's I'll need to call cutomer service when the billing comes to get the activation fee removed as they couldn't provide a working phone. Also, last week I returned an acceessory (case) I bought ATT wanted a 10% restocking fee even though there packaged was still sealed and no mention of it was made at time of purchase. Got the run around from someone who couldn't say yes, spoke the manager who contented it was on the receipt and when he couldn't find it refunded my money. In the meantime while there were a bunch of customers in the store, there are three ATT reps in the back of the store talking trash to one another and mixing red bull with gatorade. What a poorly run store. Even if the guys couldn't help sell, they and their activities should be invisiabe to the customers. ATT is uniquely positioned to be the failing of the iPhone to have a meaningful impact.

While that experience was a waste of time and effort after using the phone for a week, it is stil at toy level. No real apps other than iPod. Can't use Safari for other MM content, MMS is dumb. You get a text message with a web site to go to, that is not even a hot link with a cryptic login and password to get the content. Can't even practically cut and paste the url, login and password, so have to write down on a piece of paper.

Edge is dog slow, while wifi works ok. MY 18 mo old Sanyo MM9000 wap phone even has a EVDO modem built in with the ability to connect to my laptop all within the pricing of Sprint's powervision, $15/mo. The new ATT is acting more like the old ATT every day.

I'm thinking the HPC Mogul on Sprint's EVDO Rev A network might be the real device to get and for the price of an iPhone can get nearly two of them.