Alternative to stock earphones

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Do they not fall out of your ears every 4 seconds like the stock ones too?
If you get the Belkin Earbud Foam Replacement 5pk, you won't have the problem of the earbuds falling out. The are $10 for five pair at the Apple stores.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Apple earbuds make my ears hurt after an hour or so. I've been using a set of Sony MDR-EX91s, but want to replace them with a high end set with a mic - plus, the shape of the plug makes it incompatible with the jack on the iPhone. The iPhone specific i2c-m by Shure is nice, but I'm hoping the make a compatible i3c soon. It's a MUCH better bud for only a little more money. Otherwise, when Shure releases the MDA, all earbuds will be compatible with the addition of the mic on the MDA. I have no idea whether the switch will advance tracks, but that's not as important to me as sound quality...

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
I like the look is there anyone that has these that can take a pic wit them to see how they look with iPhone ? I hope they are not like the Sony ones... I hate the behind the neck thing that they do. One cord is shorter then the other.

phoenixjea

Jul 10, 2007
California
myspace.com
I got mine in the mail today, they really are nice, they're comfortable, the clicker works for all ipod features, & it's not a behind your neck kind of thing, [both strings are the same size] .. you can wear it however you want! :)

bcaslis

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Oregon
I like the Apple ones except they constantly come loose on me also. I bought a pair of Vibe Duo headphones. They work well except that the mic doesn't include a clicker. You have to use the iPhone for any functions.

Amazon sells them for $19.99.
Just read an article comparing these to the Apple supplied headphones.
You can read it here.
This guy says that the Apple ones fit great.
Is that the case for most people? I don't hear a lot of people complaining about this.
I can't keep those things in my ears for more than a few seconds before they come loose.
In an earlier post, I mentioned another review that compared the ear phone only version of the Rivets to some Sony Fontopias. In that one, the guy said they sounded better than the Sonys, so I guess it's all a crap shoot and everyone has to find out for themselves.
Personally I think the Sonys are way better than the Apple ones.

Ryukyu

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
I received mine today as well.
They are pretty nice.
I would say that the sound is on par with my Sony MDR-EX71SLs. They come with 3 sizes of silicon earbuds and they feel pretty comfortable, and more importantly, they stay in place.
The clicker on the mic works for all of the same functions as the Apple supplied ones do.
They have a slider adjustment so that you can adjust the length of the cables so that if you want them to be symmetrical, they can be, or you can adjust them to be like the Sony ones.
I tried some phone calls and everyone said they could hear me loud and clear. I ended up using the little plastic cord winder from my Sonys and took up the slack so that the mic now hangs at about my chest. The people that I called were coming in really clear as well.
All in all, I'm pretty happy with these.

kwt

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Chicago 'Burbs
www.v6challenge.com
I received mine today as well.
They are pretty nice.
I would say that the sound is on par with my Sony MDR-EX71SLs. They come with 3 sizes of silicon earbuds and they feel pretty comfortable, and more importantly, they stay in place.
The clicker on the mic works for all of the same functions as the Apple supplied ones do.
They have a slider adjustment so that you can adjust the length of the cables so that if you want them to be symmetrical, they can be, or you can adjust them to be like the Sony ones.
Now when they are adjusted evenly, the mic hangs down really low. In fact, when sitting down, they are at my crotch. I tried some phone calls and everyone said they could hear me loud and clear. I ended up using the little plastic cord winder from my Sonys and took up the slack so that the mic now hang at about my chest. The people that I called were coming really clear as well.
All in all, I'm pretty happy with these.
Good to hear, I have a pair arriving tomorrow. :cool:

tungkee

Jul 5, 2007
I just purchased a pair from Amazon for just under 20 bucks. They are having a promotion which you can get 2nd day air for free, or next day for $3.something. Its a one month promotion and you will be charged for this service after the month is over so remember to cancel before hand. Anyways, I'll be getting mine tomorrow the 25th. I was going to wait for the modavibe duo as they announced they will have a clicking mic in their next model, however, $20 vs $100... I need to save money and don't want to wait until next month.

-tungkee

Ryukyu

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
glad to hear you guys are enjoying your new earphones! :)
Just wanted to give you a "Thanks" for letting us know about these.
They're not perfect, but they are pretty nice for the money, and they keep me from going insane trying to keep those Apple earbuds in my ears.

karen

Jul 27, 2007
Edited to say I am talking about the Rivetnow earbuds.

Hi...new poster here, but have been reading for a while. I registered just now because this thread was driving me nuts! And I'd sure like to respond to the person who wrote the review that is linked to this thread also, if anyone has an email address!

But....the microphone does NOT hang down super low. If anyone had looked at the instructions on how the earphones are suppose to be worn, they would have figured it out! The headphones have a sliding lanyard...two pieces. You create a loop and then slip it OVER your head with the earphone pieces hanging behind you, you can pull the earphones to tighten or leave as is, and then place in your ears. The microphone is at the perfect distance!

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Been following this as well as I despise the Apple earbuds. I have small ears/canals and the stock buds dangle there precariously waiting to fall out, and sound quality/volume changes every time I move. However I really like the clicker and in-line mic. I love the way the music fades out and I can seamlessly take a call and return to listening. That's what the iPhone is all about.

So, I have decided to wait for the promised Vibe Duo phones with the built in clicker and mic. I was tempted by the Shures but decided against them I guess cause of the over the ear cable thing.

I will miss the 'fashion accessory' appeal of the stock phones tho. Not.
Mike

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I just got them and I thought I'd add to general positive reviews and say that I love them and they're perfect!

I overnighted them from Amazon.com for only $3.99! Very nice. Plus they were only $19.99 from Amazon.com instead of the rivet website which charges $29.99 for some reason.

section8joe

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I just got mine today too. The earphones are great, sound quality is awesome. I really like how you strap them around you neck lanyard style.

adamjohn_98

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
I also just purchased a set of these, looking forward to trying them out. Thanks to everyone who has posted their experiences thus far!