Alternative to stock earphones

todd1010

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
I'm liking what I've been reading about these earphones but I'm looking for some "over the ear" earphones.

Are there any of this type for the iPhone?

jomaha

Jul 2, 2007
for those who may be interested in these, I emailed Rivet today about the functionality of the controls.
The response I received was that they DO NOT forward tracks when you double click in iPod mode.:(

Just looked at their website,
"... Simply press the one-touch answer/end button to accept incoming calls; your music automatically mutes for incoming calls and will resume when the call ends. Press the button once to pause your music and twice to skip to the next song."

Sounds like the double-click feature does work!

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Just received my rivet over the weekends and I'm happy with it. It has all the functionality of the stock iPhone. It doesn’t fall every two seconds on my ear, has good sound quality and the its not that pricy.:laugh2:

firedude

Jul 22, 2007
DFW Metroplex
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not real happy with the Rivet's at all. The sound quality is mediocore to say the least. I had some Sony's I paid about $40 for and they sounded a lot better. The functionality of the Rivet's are great and they seem to be good quality, however, I was hoping for a little better sound out of them. They seem to really be lacking in the bass dept. I'm looking forward to hearing the reviews of the Ultimate's. Please post as soon as you get them. Thanks all.

Ryan

dschur

Jul 13, 2007
Anyone have the Ultimate Buds yet?
Yes, I got them, along with a handwritten thank you note from Brad thanking me for being one of the first customers.

The fit and finish is perfect. There is no way you can tell that they were disassembled for the customization. They sound perfect, fit comfortably and have great functionality with the stock clicker.

In short, they are the perfect solution for me, they combine everything I wanted and the V-moda's are on their way back.

I now see that Brad is allowing you to wither send in your stock iPhone buds or a set of exiting er-6i's which will greatly reduce the cost if you have them.

In short, this can't be beat in my book - check out www.ultimatebuds.com !

I feel like I did when I was one of the first to order from InvisibleShield. Some products are just that good.

jaymark

Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Thanks for the info!

I have also been going crazy trying to use the supplied earphones. Before getting the iPhone my "iPod" was a Creative Zen Nano Plus, which was great. Great sound, built-in FM radio and microphone, ability to record mp3s on the fly, etc. -- really a great unit for the price (1g < $80). My naive thought when I bought the iPhone was that the earphone quality would be at least as good if not better, since Apple invented the genre.

I was appalled when I found that the supplied earphones wouldn't stay in my ears and had low volume. My first "solution" was to buy a pair of Griffin adaptors at CompUSA. These increased the sound level tremendously (much louder than needed -- great!) but they altered the sound in such a way that none of the EQ settings on the iPhone could correct it.

Then I tried moving the foam earpads from the Zen unit to the iPhone. This was also a substantial improvement, and in fact I could easily live with it, but of course I lost the mic and switch functionality.

So after reading this thread I just hopped on the bandwagon and ordered the Rivets from Amazon. The $20 offer was gone so I went for the $30 price with free shipping. If they sound as good as you guys say it'll be worth it.

Thanks,

Jay Mark in NYC

HeyRoss

Aug 10, 2007
Rivet

I just ordered my rivets from Buy.com. They are having a promo where you get $10 off with google checkout.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
There's about to be a new player on the block...
I'm currently beta testing a set that are iPhone specific. I don't know exactly what they'll sell for once official production begins, but the beta pair I'm using are modified Ultimate Ears Metro.fi's. I have to say they blow away my modified (for better sound, not iPhone function) Sony MDR-EX90s. I mean across the board - not just in one or two categories. The metro.fi retails for around $80, but you can find them all day long for around $50 on the web. I imagine these will be priced accordingly. I REALLY hope they end up doing at least one of their more high end IEMs as an iPhone model, too - but the price jumps significantly when you go to the next one in their line up. Based on my set (just got arrived today), they appear close to production...

Ryukyu

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not real happy with the Rivet's at all. The sound quality is mediocore to say the least. I had some Sony's I paid about $40 for and they sounded a lot better. The functionality of the Rivet's are great and they seem to be good quality, however, I was hoping for a little better sound out of them. They seem to really be lacking in the bass dept. I'm looking forward to hearing the reviews of the Ultimate's. Please post as soon as you get them. Thanks all.

Ryan
Just remember that there's a SIGNIFICANT difference in price.

jaymark

Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Rivets report

Hi again,

After using the Rivets for a couple of weeks I can say that for the price they are the best solution for me. It's true that they do not sound fantastic (for example, not as good as the Creative Zen's earphones) but they are quite good and by far the best compromise I have come up with. My objection to their sound is just that they sound "metallic" (to me, at least) and they distort at high levels. But because they have the mic and switch included they are the best compromise for me.

Jay in NYC