Am I the only person who is unsatisfied with restoring as a solution to problems?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I don't mean to sound like a troll (I'm really not.) but does anybody else think it's odd that the go-to solution for most iDevice problems is to restore the device?

Isn't this a case of the cure being worse than the disease?

I'm a PC user myself so I don't know... is it NORMAL if your Mac has a moderately severe problem with one if the programs for you to completely wipe the hard drive and START ALL OVER AGAIN? *Is it normal to completely reinstall the operating system? Because that's exactly what we are doing when we restore our iDevices. Sure, there might be a back up but let's not kid ourselves, backups don't actually really back up everything. *When you restore from a backup, you DO lose information.

And sometimes we are told NOT to restore from backup. *If that's the case then we DO lose everything. Sometimes you get ahold of Apple and they tell you to restore as a new device! Then you DO lose everything!

If people called Microsoft complaing about an issue with Windows 7, and MS told them "why don't you delete everything on your computer and reinstall the operating system, the world would FREAK OUT! But just because it's Apple or it's this miracle device we are supposed to be okay with this "solution?"

Very strange.

Why is this an acceptable solution? *I just don't understand how you can be so cavalier about losing the information that you have on your idevices.**If you have to restore from backup, why aren't you complaining to Apple to fix the issue? *Everyone seems so calm when they say "I restored my phone."

Restoring my phone is a real chore so I just don't understand. *Can someone explain this to me because I just don't understand. Is this just the way it is for Apple computers? (iDevices are computers running OSX.) Because it's not for PCs.

It's hilarious to think that Apple loves to say they are mostly virus free. Well what's the worst thing that can happen to you if you are on a PC and you get a virus? You lose everything on your hard drive and have to reinstall the OS. Well, tell me then. What's the difference between these firmware glitches that occur so frequently on the ios devices and a virus that you can get on a PC? At least with a PC I can protect myself from getting the viruses. But with an iDevice I have no protection. I can't even back up the data! If I do and there's a problem, what happens if I have to restore as new? What's the difference between that and getting a virus on a PC? The end result is the same.

I just don't understand how you all can think this is okay.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
it's not ok. but like the commercial says "sometime you gotta pay more to go slower. it makes sense when you don't have think about it" so what most folks do is. just not think about it. and that makes it ok, in their minds.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
it's not ok. but like the commercial says "sometime you gotta pay more to go slower. it makes sense when you don't have think about it" so what most folks do is. just not think about it. and that makes it ok, in their minds.
You can stop the trolling now. SmartAlx obviously has more than just the normal phone issues. If you'd perused any of his other threads today you'd probably have realized that.

Cr4wfish

Bronze
Jul 25, 2010
England
Actually the worst thing that can happen to your computer is that you can lose access to your bank accounts and computer settings so thats a bit worse than having to reset your computer.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I had a virus just last month and since my insurance pays for that rather then wiping the computer myself ( it had to be done) I let the repair shop do it. I told them save pictures (2010 all year was on there) and iTunes. My iTunes is worth a lot with the music about 600+ I paid for and about 700 apps many paid for as well. So they lost the pictures which what can I do ? If iTunes was gone I got claim the $ from my purchase history but my kids birthday pictures (and more) gone and nobody can replace them

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
SmartAlx is definitely not a troll. A troll is someone determined to be biased against a site's product or subject. Don't let "We love Apple exactly WHY?" is the signature file fool you.

-K

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Hey SmartAlx! I have now finally read this post as you instructed me to do yesterday. Um, you R Serious! I used to have a PC and it was a Dell POS that gave me nothing but nightmares when it was introduced to the iPhone 3G.

When I had problems with my 3G I was always told to restore as new. But I never did. I would restore the phone and put my back up back on it because I didn't want to lose stuff that I had worked so hard to save on the phone. My computer was 10 years old at that time and it was ready to be put out to pasture. (I would never do that, the ram and definitely the HD would come out first.) It would take me 11 to 14 hours to restore and put the back up back on my phone. Yes, that’s right it took that long, so for me to do any of that if I had a problem there had to be no absolute solution. I learned a few things after having to do this two times. Recycle my phone daily - the 3G and 3GS. Don't have too many web pages open and if things get really stupid and there seems to be no solution do a hard restart. Once I did those things on the regular, I had little to no problems that I couldn't live with. I was glad the iPhone 4 came along, it is a better phone. And dare I say, in March of 2010 I bought an iMac and the iPhone communication between phone and computer could not be better.

With my PC it would occasionally not cooperate with the iTunes program either. I can't remember how many times I had to reinstall iTunes. Was it because my computer was old and diseased? IDK. Was it an incompatibility, more than likely, yes. I have an iMac now and it has been smooth sailing.

But I do understand the horror of restoring the phone and learned early on with the 3G not to do that. It is not a solution. No matter what they say. There are other maintenance things you can do and when all else fails, Apple owes me a new phone and I changed out three iPhone 3G's and two 3GS's for one reason or another.

I do not agree with the restore as a solution. I am with you on that.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Obviously restoring as new is a last-ditch effort when no other options are available. No, it isn't ideal... that's why you try everything else you can think of first.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I would add that Apple has made the process of restoring a bit friendlier than the equivalent task on a PC. I have done both, many times. Apples version, as we know, is to plug in the phone, click a couple buttons, and its done. The task is much more manual and tedious to do on a PC as the "backup version" on a PC required additional hard-drives, drag and drops, copy and paste, etc. The length of the task has much to do with your own personal organization on the PC itself. Apple however, does this backup for you by providing an interface (iTunes). We know its not 100% backup, but I would argue most would agree it is easier to restore from.

Also remember that the iPhone is a device dependent (in large) on an external hard drive. This means a restoration is similar to if you had to delete a flash drive, and reload the files from the PC on again. Yes there is an OS involved, but again iTunes takes care of that through a mostly automated process. Just giving my thoughts.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I would add that Apple has made the process of restoring a bit friendlier than the equivalent task on a PC. I have done both, many times. Apples version, as we know, is to plug in the phone, click a couple buttons, and its done.
Isn't the fact that they make it easy to do PROOF that they support this as a mainstay solution? I don't want them to make wiping my iPhone easier. I want them to fix the iPhone so I never have to wipe it in the first place!

I used to work with a buggy piece of crap software at work. Thousands of dollars per license and it was still buggy. There was an active online community helping each other find workarounds to the bugs inherent in that program. Whenever someone would find a workaround the company would essentially consider that bug solved, even if the workaround was awful and miserably ineffective

This is what Apple making it easy to restore your iPhone feels like to me. Giving up on bugs.

policy140

Apr 20, 2011
imperial valley
agreed, it seems extreme.
when i was running windows me, i did full reinstalls 6 or 7 times.

looking to liberate my ipod touch.
droid x on liberty 2.0.1, slightly oc'd