MacBook an Apple repair a damaged MacBook?

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I have an aluminum MacBook that just recently suffered some minor damage it's mostly just the casing that was damaged and bent a bit, and it won't close all the way and the trackpad won't click right. everything works mostly, the computer boots up and is useable so there's no internal damage or anything like that. so I am basically just wondering if they can repair it and how much it would cost?

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
If it's aluminum that means you've had it less than a year. It's still under warranty and they will fix it all for free. Just take it into an Apple store.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
If it's aluminum that means you've had it less than a year. It's still under warranty and they will fix it all for free. Just take it into an Apple store.
really? for free? even if the damage was accidental, as in our fault?

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
No, that's not accurate. Physical damage is never covered under warranty. If they would do it, you would definitely have to pay. You may have to seek a 3rd party repair service. My advice would be to call and ask.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
No, that's not accurate. Physical damage is never covered under warranty. If they would do it, you would definitely have to pay. You may have to seek a 3rd party repair service. My advice would be to call and ask.
Not true. My macbook frequently cracks. They repair that all the time. They even change out all the plastic when it turns more brown than I like it.

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
Not true. My macbook frequently cracks. They repair that all the time. They even change out all the plastic when it turns more brown than I like it.
The plastic macbooks crack and that is a known defect. It is different. A defect is different than damage.

Apple, as defined in the table below, warrants this apple-branded hardware product against defects in
materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of retail
purchase by the original end-user purchaser (“Warranty Period”).
If a hardware defect arises and a valid
claim is received within the Warranty Period, at its option and to the extent permitted by law, Apple will
either (1) repair the hardware defect at no charge, using new or parts equivalent to new in performance and
reliability, (2) exchange the product with a product that is new or equivalent to new in performance and
reliability and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product, or (3) refund the purchase price of
the product. Apple may request that you replace defective parts with new or refurbished user-installable
parts that Apple provides in fulfillment of its warranty obligation. A replacement product or part, including
a user-installable part that has been installed in accordance with instructions provided by Apple, assumes
the remaining warranty of the original product or ninety (90) days from the date of replacement or repair,
whichever provides longer coverage for you. When a product or part is exchanged, any replacement item
becomes your property and the replaced item becomes Apple’s property. Parts provided by Apple in
fulfillment of its warranty obligation must be used in products for which warranty service is claimed.
When a refund is given, the product for which the refund is provided must be returned to Apple and
becomes Apple’s property.
EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS
This Limited Warranty applies only to hardware products manufactured by or for Apple that can be
identified by the “Apple” trademark, trade name, or logo affixed to them. The Limited Warranty does not
apply to any non-Apple hardware products or any software, even if packaged or sold with Apple hardware.
Manufacturers, suppliers, or publishers, other than Apple, may provide their own warranties to the end user
purchaser, but Apple, in so far as permitted by law, provides their products “as is”. Software distributed by
Apple with or without the Apple brand name (including, but not limited to system software) is not covered
under this Limited Warranty. Refer to the licensing agreement accompanying the software for details of
your rights with respect to its use.
Apple does not warrant that the operation of the product will be uninterrupted or error-free. Apple is not
responsible for damage arising from failure to follow instructions relating to the product’s use.

This warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries, unless damage has occurred due to
a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents
and broken plastic on ports;
(c) to damage caused by use with non-Apple products; (d) to damage caused
by accident, abuse, misuse, flood, fire, earthquake or other external causes; (e) to damage caused byoperating the product outside the permitted or intended uses described by Apple; (f) to damage caused by
service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or
an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to a product or part that has been modified to alter
functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; or (h) if any Apple serial number has
been removed or defaced.