Android Piracy is Out of Control!

droidzhater

Aug 27, 2010
Saw a really interesting article about piracy on the Android platform. Looks like Android devs are really in trouble! Breaks things down country by country. I wonder if anyone has done this for iOS?

Some countries (e.g. Australia) have a piracy rate of over 90%. Fascinating read...

Android Piracy Rates By Country

droidzhater

droidzhater

Aug 27, 2010
Are you aware of any studies like this guy did though, but for iOS? His article really surprised me as to where the piracy is occurring. I'm really wondering which platform is having more trouble with theft of apps...

imotionb18

Bronze
Jun 15, 2010
Houston, Tx
Wow that is pretty interesting. I would imagine that Apple's piracy percentage is pretty high as well. On the whole I can see Android's piracy rate being higher. I would like to see any info on Apples piracy rate.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
I imagine Android piracy is more rampant than iOS piracy.
Not if you believe articles like that one.

That article was written by a company that sells basically one background Android app that does power management depending on how you're holding the phone. They claim that 66% of their (one-time? full-time? who knows?) users didn't pay.

Probably about as accurate as that other, more famous, article earlier this year claiming a half billion dollars has been lost to iPhone developers due to a 75% to 95% piracy rate per iOS application.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Except he wasn't a Native American.

From Snopes:

"Iron Eyes Cody was born Espera DeCorti on 3 April 1904 in the small town of Kaplan, Louisiana. He was the son of Francesca Salpietra and Antonio DeCorti, she an immigrant from Sicily who had arrived in the USA in 1902, and he another immigrant who had arrived in America not long before her. Theirs was an arranged marriage, and the couple had four children, with Espera (or Oscar, as he was called) their second eldest. In 1909, when Espera was five years old, Antonio DeCorti abandoned his wife and children and headed for Texas. Francesca married again, this time to a man named Alton Abshire, with whom she bore five more children."

Just a little trivia...

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Someone should have photoshopped a tear streaming down Data's face like the old public service announcement about pollution with the sensitive Native American dude...

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I did hear that just like many of the movies of old with the Cowboys and Injuns and also like Charlie Chan! But we all know they were pushing him off as Native American to capture the emotion and guilt of Americans at that time.

[Sorry, had to delete and repost because I attached but didn't know how to delete the attachment as I just like posting image links]

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida

From Snopes:

"Iron Eyes Cody was born Espera DeCorti on 3 April 1904 in the small town of Kaplan, Louisiana. He was the son of Francesca Salpietra and Antonio DeCorti, she an immigrant from Sicily who had arrived in the USA in 1902, and he another immigrant who had arrived in America not long before her. Theirs was an arranged marriage, and the couple had four children, with Espera (or Oscar, as he was called) their second eldest. In 1909, when Espera was five years old, Antonio DeCorti abandoned his wife and children and headed for Texas. Francesca married again, this time to a man named Alton Abshire, with whom she bore five more children."

Just a little trivia...
Spaghetti Western?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I did hear that just like many of the movies of old with the Cowboys and Injuns and also like Charlie Chan! But we all know they were pushing him off as Native American to capture the emotion and guilt of Americans at that time.

[Sorry, had to delete and repost because I attached but didn't know how to delete the attachment as I just like posting image links]
It's still happening. In the lone ranger remake coming up, Johnny Depp is cast as Tanto.