Any AT&T Data Throttling Victims here?

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
It's not that I won't do it again it's cause I can't lol after 2gb they throttle so bad my
Phone data is useless.
Regardless of your reasons for not doing it again it is because you got throttled that made you choose to not do it again. Believe that is what they (AT&T) want.

GoalieEd

Bronze
Jul 10, 2010
If its that bad I may have to abandon unlimited data..... But I find it hard to believe that 2 GB is the top 5 percent. I guess it's mostly because non-government employers allow their iPhones to access the wifi at work? I have only 3G access at work.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If its that bad I may have to abandon unlimited data..... But I find it hard to believe that 2 GB is the top 5 percent. I guess it's mostly because non-government employers allow their iPhones to access the wifi at work? I have only 3G access at work.
You're right; there's no way 2 GBs is anywhere near the top 5% of all users. I really think it's regional. There are several people here who use 20+ GB/month and haven't been throttled. It's possible that you're in the top 5% for your city.

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
No, I'm not giving any AT&T lurkers on here enough precise info to track down my account and start throttling. I don't care if you don't believe me or not.
So, how about it? If you don't post a screenshot you'll be thought to be a liar, and you don't want that, right?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Welp... Throttled down from 5mbps to 120kbps (edit: that must have been a fluke. Now it's 70kbps). In other words, I'd be better off on EDGE. I guess that's that. There is no way I will even get that much while at work (and I can't use work's wifi), and that is absolutely the place I need the speed most.

In other strange news, 141 megs of data usage and 2 text messages mysteriously and suddenly appeared today on my other line. After a month of nothing, all of a sudden today in the last half hour, throttling on my iPhone, and sudden data usage/text messages (of which I will of course have to fight about the overage fees) on a phone I'm not even using. Don't know what to think about that just yet... Except of course that AT&T is apparently no longer the right choice for me. I will see what they say on the phone tomorrow I guess.

- just another data hog *shrug*

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You rode that wave quite a while though, right? Did you ever surpass 80 GB/month? Sprint is probably your best bet, assuming their speeds are good enough to stream in your area.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
You rode that wave quite a while though, right? Did you ever surpass 80 GB/month? Sprint is probably your best bet, assuming their speeds are good enough to stream in your area.
Nope, my top month this year was June-July, 59 gigs. I started trying to curb it to evade the iron fist. I got it down to 20 gigs last month, and 10 gigs this month (4 days left in the billing cycle as of the throttle notice), but it still wasn't enough.

It's down to 30-40 kbps now. I'm on the phone with AT&T now; apparently, it IS supposed to throttle down that much, as I feared.

I gotta hand it to em, they've got a pretty effective thing going there, and well-trained stonewalls at the customer service department. They can't touch the throttling switch, it's an automated system, and naturally, they "can't" do anything about the early termination fee.

Hmm.. I wonder if the unlimited data plan upgrade trick still works with the original iPhone. If so, I could do that on my other line and just swap SIM cards when one gets throttled.

Or I guess I could just go from indignation to resignation, continue paying the same $150 a month, and quietly see how much it really affects me not being able to use mobile data on my phone. You know, back in my day, we used to communicate using dead trees!

Now I know how all the San Franciscos and New Yorks feel having useless 3G service.

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
Don't know if this will help, but carriers LOVE to steal customers away. Verizon offered to pay all my early termination fees to AT&T if I switched to them.

Might or might not work in your situation. Just a thought.

Reactions: fury

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
361 unread messages? Wow.
Totally distracted me tooO_o If I pick up my phone and see even one unread message I have to read it immediately or my head might explode!

I wonder how long it would take me to accumulate 361 messages, unread or not?

You must be a celebrity. Or a drug dealer.

(Just kidding!):LOL:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Totally distracted me tooO_o If I pick up my phone and see even one unread message I have to read it immediately or my head might explode!

I wonder how long it would take me to accumulate 361 messages, unread or not?

You must be a celebrity. Or a drug dealer.

(Just kidding!):LOL:
I used to have a ton of unread messages too. I had every bank notification known to man coming in as SMS, and a bunch of other similar types of messages that I often did not need to read. I finally stopped most of it and now live a happy all-messages-read kinda life. :)

Michael

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
My hmmm was actually why is it written so big. Both the text and on the text space. Anyways.....

Ps: nvm I got it why :D

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
I've been watching this thread for a while, out of curiosity... I don't use that much data. But I looked today, and decided the title needed an different interpretation:

Something like: AT&T throttled my data so much, I could only send the breakup notice to my girlfriend one character at a time! (queue rim shot)