Any AT&T Data Throttling Victims here?

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
Yeah...I use my phone the way Michael describes. Besides, my wifi is so much faster at home...I'd rather use that than 3G.

dannymichel

Jan 25, 2012
No matter how much AT&T throttles, I'd much rather have that then this snail speed Verizon capping at about 1.4 MB per second. Anyone on ATT – grandfathered or not, is lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
No matter how much AT&T throttles, I'd much rather have that then this snail speed Verizon capping at about 1.4 MB per second. Anyone on ATT – grandfathered or not, is lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah, I'm happy to have my grandfathered plan. Just over 4 GB 14 days into my cycle. A little off my 10 gigs per month pace. And no throttling warnings yet.

GoalieEd

Bronze
Jul 10, 2010
yeah, I'm happy to have my grandfathered plan. Just over 4 GB 14 days into my cycle. A little off my 10 gigs per month pace. And no throttling warnings yet.
It seems so unfair you get to use 10 GB and are not throttled, and I'm looking at throttling at 2gb.

thevlad

Bronze
Oct 12, 2011
I was throttled for most of my last cycle and got the warning text 5 days into this months cycle after using 7 gigs. So that night I downloaded as much as I could and got throttled the next morning (6 cycle day). I checked the data usage and got 25.9 gigs. Haha. Almost 20 gigs in one day

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It seems so unfair you get to use 10 GB and are not throttled, and I'm looking at throttling at 2gb.
The current system is completely unfair. Some people are using 30 GB/month and still not getting throttled while others are getting throttled at 2 GB. Fairness and consistency is the main reason I think it would be best to move everyone that's on unlimited plan to a capped plan and have us all pay the same rate for data and overages. This shouldn't be a problem because they never guaranteed us unlimited data for life. It would be easy to just not allow upgrading the hardware without having the customer switch to a capped plan.

The problem with bandwidth won't really be an issue because most people won't use excessive amounts (10+ GB) if they have to pay $10 for each extra GB. Therefore, the overall data usage will drop drastically. Right now most of it is being used by the extreme users in the top 5%. Lots of people who are using 30+ GB/month now will stop if their data bill increases from $30 a month to $300 a month. But those who want to use that much will still be able to if they are willing to pay for it. I don't think most would people think it was worth $10 to stream a movie over 3G so they just wouldn't do it.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
The current system is completely unfair. Some people are using 30 GB/month and still not getting throttled while others are getting throttled at 2 GB. Fairness and consistency is the main reason I think it would be best to move everyone that's on unlimited plan to a capped plan and have us all pay the same rate for data and overages. This shouldn't be a problem because they never guaranteed us unlimited data for life. It would be easy to just not allow upgrading the hardware without having the customer switch to a capped plan.

The problem with bandwidth won't really be an issue because most people won't use excessive amounts (10+ GB) if they have to pay $10 for each extra GB. Therefore, the overall data usage will drop drastically. Right now most of it is being used by the extreme users in the top 5%. Lots of people who are using 30+ GB/month now will stop if their data bill increases from $30 a month to $300 a month. But those who want to use that much will still be able to if they are willing to pay for it. I don't think most would people think it was worth $10 to stream a movie over 3G so they just wouldn't do it.
FAIR is where you go to ride the rides and rad cotton candy. Grandfathering people into a plan is nothing new. Companies that change their rate plans like this do it all the time.

What you are advocating would require us to all live in a place where the temperature is the same and force us all to make the same amount of money. Not gonna happen.

Under you logic, every passenger in a plane should pay the same amount for their seats. Not gonna happen.

Get over it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
FAIR is where you go to ride the rides and rad cotton candy. Grandfathering people into a plan is nothing new. Companies that change their rate plans like this do it all the time.

What you are advocating would require us to all live in a place where the temperature is the same and force us all to make the same amount of money. Not gonna happen.

Under you logic, every passenger in a plane should pay the same amount for their seats. Not gonna happen.

Get over it.
I'm talking about mobile data, not controlling the weather and peoples' income.

Also, you need to stop being rude. Infraction issued.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
If you want to force us all into the same rate plan, what's to keep you from wanting to force us all to do everything the same? That's all I'm saying.

And if I said something bad enough to warrant an infraction, why wasn't it altered or removed? Just because I completely disagree with you doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If you want to force us all into the same rate plan, what's to keep you from wanting to force us all to do everything the same? That's all I'm saying.

And if I said something bad enough to warrant an infraction, why wasn't it altered or removed? Just because I completely disagree with you doesn't mean I'm wrong.
Disagreeing is perfectly fine and you are entitled to your opinions, but you need to treat people with respect and be fair when you are debating. This is not the first time you have given me a rude reply. The topic at hand has nothing to do with controlling the weather or peoples' income and you can't assume that I am advocating those things just because I have the opinion that consistent prices for mobile data with AT&T would more fair. PM me if you have any further comments or questions about this warning.