iMac Anyone buy the 5k iMac

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
Yep somebody for sure changed the resolution to the highest which will make the text tiny.

If it's set to "Best" it should be thee same size as the regular iMac 27".

I'm heading to the Apple Store for some quality testing time tomorrow. I hope they have the RiMac and the regular one side by side. They didn't the other day.
I still have one in my cart at the online store.. I want to push buy now but man dropping $3,000 on it has me hesitating .

Here is the one I have configured. Stock except for RAM.

• 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
  • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x8GB
  • 1TB Fusion Drive
  • AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2GB GDDR5
  • Apple Magic Mouse
  • Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
  • Accessory Kit
At my store they have one table dedicated to the iMacs with one of the same on each side of the table. The 5K iMac's are on the end then next to it are the 27" iMac's and next to it are the 21" iMac's..

I was a bit surprised to see an entire table with 2 of each versions on display..

Maybe if you ask them they can move a 27" right next to the 5K for you.. It's worth asking at least.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Just returned from the Apple Store. They had both iMacs back to back so we just swung them around at the end of the table so they were side by side. Actually there is a nice difference but if you didn't see the Retina you'd be happy with the regular iMac. The Retina is amazing but not completely necessary. I like the spec bumps (especially for FCPX) you can get with the new version so will probably spend a few extra bucks and get the Retina.

As for the text...when the resolution is set to "best" the text size is identical to the regular iMac so no blood there. Not really an issue.

I'm gonna do it but am having the same problem like @raqball ... i.e. clicking the "buy" button. My configuration is coming in at: $3,617 + Tax. That includes Apple Care and One-to-One. I always get the One-to-One membership as it's been very helpful to have some help with the pro applications. It's well worth $99. I mean where can you get a year's worth of one on one training for $99? Only at Apple! :D

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
Just returned from the Apple Store. They had both iMacs back to back so we just swung them around at the end of the table so they were side by side. Actually there is a nice difference but if you didn't see the Retina you'd be happy with the regular iMac. The Retina is amazing but not completely necessary. I like the spec bumps (especially for FCPX) you can get with the new version so will probably spend a few extra bucks and get the Retina.

As for the text...when the resolution is set to "best" the text size is identical to the regular iMac so no blood there. Not really an issue.

I'm gonna do it but am having the same problem like @raqball ... i.e. clicking the "buy" button. My configuration is coming in at: $3,617 + Tax. That includes Apple Care and One-to-One. I always get the One-to-One membership as it's been very helpful to have some help with the pro applications. It's well worth $99. I mean where can you get a year's worth of one on one training for $99? Only at Apple! :D
What are the prices of the new iMacs, Retina and non-Retina? It's really hard to see Retina unless you have a trained eye. When I'm talking to customers about Macs at Best Buy, a lot of them can't really see the difference unless I open up some photos, one on a non-retina and the other on a retina. I also found that most people don't want to shell out for the Retina model.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
@silvermoon

Base cost of non-Retina - $1,999
Bast cost for RiMac - $2,400

Then start adding stuff. :D

I agree that's it's not a huge viewing difference unless your eyes are very very good. Plus there is very little 4k content available at this time. But as I mentioned I am more interested in the upgraded video card and 4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz. Those two options add another $500 but for working with FCPX I think it's worth it. Besides I'll have this machine for at least 5 years.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
I'm a tightwad.. I picked up a 21" from the Apple retail store today..

It's a replacement for a 21" 2009 iMac so it's still a nice upgrade. I wanted the 5K just because the screen is so darn beautiful! But since it's really just a computer my son uses (I use it sometimes as well) and he can care less about 5K I didn't see the need in spending the extra $$$$ on it.

The iMac I picked up was $1,100 before tax which is quite a bit of difference from the $3,000 I would have spent on the 5K version..

The only problem now is that everytime I see a 5K iMac I will look at it lustfully and wonder if I should not have purchased it..

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
@silvermoon

Base cost of non-Retina - $1,999
Bast cost for RiMac - $2,400

Then start adding stuff. :D

I agree that's it's not a huge viewing difference unless your eyes are very very good. Plus there is very little 4k content available at this time. But as I mentioned I am more interested in the upgraded video card and 4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz. Those two options add another $500 but for working with FCPX I think it's worth it. Besides I'll have this machine for at least 5 years.
If I was interested in buying a desktop, I would get one of the new Retina computers. I think the processor and the video are impressive upgrades. That is one thing you can count on with an Apple computer is that they will last for 5-10 years where your typical computer will last about 2-3 years. A friend of mine has had his G4 for 10 years now.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
I'm a tightwad..
Well there it is. J/K man...I can understand completely. It's a lot of money!

Hey no doubt it's a splurge. Honestly I don't need it either. I could get by with the regular iMac and max it out and probably would be a huge upgrade over my Early 2009 24" iMac. I might have mentioned that when I went to FCPX a year or so ago I was shocked at the poor performance of my machine for rendering video. It was/is like watching paint dry. I've been waiting for the spec update and just so happens it will have the Retina display. Still doesn't make it any easier to click the "buy" button. O_o

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
I've already given Apple way to much money this year.. A new rMPB and an iPhone 6 at full price and now the iMac.. I was going to wait until next year for the iMac but decided to just get it now and be done with it..

My son is upstairs now getting it all setup.. He is happy with it, so it's cool.. Now what to do with the old iMac? I wonder if Goodwill or the homeless shelter would want it? It's in good shape but it is a 2009..

I'll call the goodwill and ask. Plus, I can write that off as a tax deduction.. Lets see, 2009 iMac value for the IRS? Umm, $2,400 sounds about right, yes? :p

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
Well, I just got a check from Toyota I wasn't expecting for $29.86 as part of the "unintended acceleration" settlement, so I'm ready to go all in on the 5K iMac.

That's generally the way them class action suits go.. The lawyers involved make millions and the parties get chump change..

But hey, you go on ahead and splurge!

Rob Bonner

Oct 28, 2014
I got my 5K today, and to be honest, it is not that much better than my current thunderbolt monitor. I have them side by side, and the difference is subtle. Was expecting wow. Gonna give it a week to see if it grows on me, but so far not thinking it is worth the $$.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
I got my 5K today, and to be honest, it is not that much better than my current thunderbolt monitor. I have them side by side, and the difference is subtle. Was expecting wow. Gonna give it a week to see if it grows on me, but so far not thinking it is worth the $$.
I'm having second thoughts myself. I like the 5K display but there isn't that much difference truth be told from the non Retina display. It is awesome when viewing photos but not sure it's worth the extra money. I do want the upgraded specs for speed of the processor and the video card but we're talking a total difference of $500. Maybe I ought to just bite the bullet.

Just can't decide. Trying to rationalize this. Maybe $500 isn't all that much when you consider I'll have the latest ad greatest machine and will probably keep it for five years. Anybody want to comment on this?

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
I'm having second thoughts myself. I like the 5K display but there isn't that much difference truth be told from the non Retina display. It is awesome when viewing photos but not sure it's worth the extra money. I do want the upgraded specs for speed of the processor and the video card but we're talking a total difference of $500. Maybe I ought to just bite the bullet.

Just can't decide. Trying to rationalize this. Maybe $500 isn't all that much when you consider I'll have the latest ad greatest machine and will probably keep it for five years. Anybody want to comment on this?
I didn't buy it as you know but, if it's going to be your main desktop and you will use it daily then it might very well be worth the extra $500.. In my case it was a replacement for an iMac in my sons room. I get on it occasionally (maybe once a week for maintenance tasks) but I rarely use it for prolonged periods of time.

If it was going to be my machine that I used daily I have zero doubt that I would have purchased the 5K. To my eyes, I noticed a big difference in the screen on the 5K -vs- the screen on the 27" iMac. Everyone is different though.

If I wanted top of the line specs, the latest and greatest computer that will easily last 5 years then the 5K might be worth the extra $500.

To me the 5K is easily worth the extra $500 if it's a daily use machine..

My .02

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
If I wanted top of the line specs, the latest and greatest computer that will easily last 5 years then the 5K might be worth the extra $500.

To me the 5K is easily worth the extra $500 if it's a daily use machine..
You're probably right. Thanks for the input.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
The only problem I see is that the 5K screen could ruin you for life.. I'd assume that after using it for a while anything else will look pretty bad..

1st world problems sure, but it would be hard to go back from the 5K screen..