iMac Anyone buy the 5k iMac

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
The only problem I see is that the 5K screen could ruin you for life.. I'd assume that after using it for a while anything else will look pretty bad..

1st world problems sure, but it would be hard to go back from the 5K screen..
Well my current 2009 24" iMac is ruining me for life when I'm editing video in FCPX. Slow is the operative word! Well maybe "very slow"... :mad:

Reactions: raqball

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
Well my current 2009 24" iMac is ruining me for life when I'm editing video in FCPX. Slow is the operative word! Well maybe "very slow"... :mad:
I took mine to the homeless shelter this morning and they were thrilled to have it.. LOL

Worse case is you have 2-weeks to decide. My .02 is get the 5K and decide on day 14 if it's overkill from the regular 27" or if it's exactly what you want and go from there.. I almost went that route but ultimately decided the 21.5" is what I wanted..

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Stumbled upon this and thought of this thread.

It isn't much, but it's something...

$150 off retina iMac plus "all orders from B&H ship tax-free unless their destination is within NY state, adding hundreds in additional savings to these discounts."

I followed the link and there appears to be one caveat that could be a deal-breaker: you cannot custom-configure it (I know @Zanthe wants the upgraded specs).

$40 off iPad Air 2 is decent :)

These deals expire Friday, October 31st, at midnight:

Killer Deals: $150 off iMac Retina 5K, $350 off Mac Pro, $40 off iPad Air 2, $30 off iPad mini 3, 20% off iTunes Gift Cards, up to $268 off HP Printers

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Actually B & H has lots of Retina configurations to choose from. I've bought lot of camera gear from them over the years. First class operation. It's tempting to save the tax.

Reactions: Bennyboy

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I got to visit one of the big stores tonight while I was working at Best Buy. First impressions of the 5k iMac... incredible high resolution and the specs are impressive with a 3.2GHz processor and an upgraded NVIDIA card. I spent a couple minutes playing around on the iMac and there was a noticeable difference in speed. The price point is a bit steep starting out at $1749 and going up to $2499 for a Retina 5K display but that is what you pay for Apple products.

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
I got to visit one of the big stores tonight while I was working at Best Buy. First impressions of the 5k iMac... incredible high resolution and the specs are impressive with a 3.2GHz processor and an upgraded NVIDIA card. I spent a couple minutes playing around on the iMac and there was a noticeable difference in speed. The price point is a bit steep starting out at $1749 and going up to $2499 for a Retina 5K display but that is what you pay for Apple products.
When you bump up the specs of regular iMac closer to the 5k iMacs the difference is only about 100 bucks. So you get a lot of bang for your bucks when you go to 5k not just screen resolution.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Picked one up last night. I'm coming from a 13" MBP (non-Retina) and it's getting tough to look at my MacBook's screen after getting used to this. The performance is night and day between the two, however. Apps on the HD based MacBook open painfully slow. Overall, I'm enjoying this new one quite a bit!

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
Does anyone know if you can up the specs on these and get a discounted savings?