anyone else getting TONS of call failed, even when you have 5 bars?

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
I never experienced many dropped calls with my original iPhone and in the two days I've had the 3G iPhone, I've had like 4 dropped calls. I'm hoping it's something AT&T will fix because on their 3G coverage map of my area, mostly everything is dark orange which is suppose to mean the best 3G coverage possible but I'm only seeing less than 2 bars.

If I'm supposedly in the excellent coverage area, I'd hate to see what some of you guys are dealing with in the just "good" areas which are lighter orange.
IIRC, Blue is the color that indicates 3G coverage on the AT&T maps.

H

Hayesimus

I actually just made a post about this issue, well for me it seems that any number starting with (937) 902-xxxx in Ohio fails right away. Yet I'm able to take the SIM card out and works fine on another phone.

The friend on the other end (who I can't call) is able to call me just fine, text them fine, just can't dial any number starting with those 6 numbers. I've tried calling other local businesss around her to see that that worked with the area code....works fine.

any thoughts?
that's what I was getting at. Two of my friends have the same first 6 digits in a different town and it fails every time. And again. I'm on a V1 and haven't updated to 2.0 yet so its not just 3G and 2.0

iLLGT2

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
NY/LI
the 3G having few bars is not the same issue we are addressing here.

3G and edge/voice are 2 different signals. If the iPhone is receiving any 3G at all then it displays the 3G signal strength and not the edge/voice.

So you may be picking up 5 bars of edge/voice but 1 bar of 3G and it's going to show 1 bar.

You technically aren't getting worse reception, 3G coverage just isn't as good as 2G
Interesting hmm, but essentially I am getting bad reception/service if my phone is relying on the weak 3g signal?

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I just tried turning off 3G and I went from one bar to three bars of service. If I'm paying for 3G service and ATT's service map indicates that I'm in an excellent 3G area, Cleveland is almost all 3G service where I'm at, then why subscribe to 3G? Half the time you can't even get a decent signal. I have friends that have 3G on other ATT phones that get a great signal where my iPhones delivers only one bar. So is it ATT's problem or Apple's?

k3n85

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Mines not an issue of coverage... i was on the phone with Apple and AT&T neither of which can figure out a solution. Weird thing was that I put my SIM in another phone right here and dialed just fine, so doesn't sound like a service issue

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I had the same thing, ATT claims that the network is good, no problems... and Apple claims that the phone is performing according to specs. I would think that this type of problem would show up during quality control testing.

daddyd302

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
I have 3-4 bars, in the open, drop call. I have 1 bar, in the open, crystal clear....I'm not sure what is going on but I had a few drop calls this weekend.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Just wanted to say that I was in Irving, TX yesterday and dealt with Failed Calls and "Can you hear me?" all day. I can see why some people can get upset. At least I don't have to deal with it around my Home, Work, or the Bar.

laststanding

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
hey i had similar problems last week. Almost every call failed. After dealing with Apple support, they suggested to have AT&T remove my iPhone data plan and readd as a troubleshooting step.

Since then i have no issues so far. You should really try this, i was really frustrated when it happened. Hope this helps.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I actually just made a post about this issue, well for me it seems that any number starting with (937) 902-xxxx in Ohio fails right away. Yet I'm able to take the SIM card out and works fine on another phone.

The friend on the other end (who I can't call) is able to call me just fine, text them fine, just can't dial any number starting with those 6 numbers. I've tried calling other local businesss around her to see that that worked with the area code....works fine.

any thoughts?
Dude, I'm in the 937 area code as well! I don't have trouble with dropped calls as much as I have trouble with the calls going through in the first place. I can have 2 to 5 bars and the call will fail. I have to try over and over to get it to complete. I'm call ATT in a few to see wtf.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Just some info to help everyone out... I still have one of the first iPhones and ALWAYS get a "Call Failed" If the number im dialing is Busy (I never get a busy signal when a line is busy, just Call Failed). But what may be happening is that There may be or was a routing path down. Sometimes they contract out for backbone carriers in a certain area because AT&T may not have something in that area. And Some of these Backbone LD carriers suck.. Usually get echoing from bad frame framerates, low bandwidth, misdirected calls, etc.. Used to work for a Cellular company and always had to track garbage like this to get it fixed..

Hope its all working for everyone now, if not deffinately report it to AT&T so they can fix the routing or reroute.

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
The majority of the time I have to turn 3G off. I just can't get a reliable signal on 3G. 3G and GPS were the two main reasons for "up-grading" to the the 3G phone... Most of the time 3G doesn't work... Maybe I'll have to keep track and prorate my monthly bills to reflect the fact that AT&T can't provide 3G even in strong 3G areas. It's pretty bad when a friend with a berry on Verizon is already viewing a web page while I'm still trying to get the page to load... This sucks...

bkushner

Bronze
Jan 22, 2008
Classic AT&T. I was a Verizon customer for 10 years. Bought an iPhone 3 months ago and switched to AT&T. I 've had so many dropped calls I've lost count. I am 5 minutes from Philly and get dropped calls OUTSIDE in my yard. My new 3G seems to be even worse. In my house I get 0 bars and can't make calls, friend with a $19.95 tracphone has 5 bars. AT&T sucks...but we all knew that!

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
Classic AT&T. I was a Verizon customer for 10 years. Bought an iPhone 3 months ago and switched to AT&T. I 've had so many dropped calls I've lost count. I am 5 minutes from Philly and get dropped calls OUTSIDE in my yard. My new 3G seems to be even worse. In my house I get 0 bars and can't make calls, friend with a $19.95 tracphone has 5 bars. AT&T sucks...but we all knew that!
I had far worse coverage and customer service when I was with Verizon. I've said it before and I'll say it again... totally depends on where you live. I really don't believe any cell carrier is better than another in the big picture. Perception is a function of personal experience. Does AT&T suck? Sure, sometimes. Do the other carriers suck just as much? Ask the right people and I'm sure you'll find they do.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I had far worse coverage and customer service when I was with Verizon. I've said it before and I'll say it again... totally depends on where you live. I really don't believe any cell carrier is better than another in the big picture. Perception is a function of personal experience. Does AT&T suck? Sure, sometimes. Do the other carriers suck just as much? Ask the right people and I'm sure you'll find they do.
I agree. I've had ATT for years (cingular), and never, ever had a problem. Until now, that is. I had many, oh so many, calls fail when I try to place a call. Never had that before iPhone 3G. I will be bitching to ATT Monday!

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
The hospital I work for just tried to call me and their call went right to voice mail. My phone was right beside me and didn't even ring. If I hadn't heard the little chime for a voice mail I wouldn't have known they'd called. I'm on call and have to be able to be in phone contact. This issue has to be resolved or I'm going to have to drop AT&T and Apple before I get fired for not responding.

H

Hayesimus

I have the same problem. My friends have to call me several times or leave a voicemail or text telling me to call them. Very frustrating...