Anyone else upset about the price drop to $399?

nova

Sep 6, 2007
I bought my 8GB 17 days ago for the full price of $599. If had known about the price drop I would have definitely wait. I realize that prices usually go down, but it definitely stings. Anyone else upset?

return it... jobs said you can.... why not read before reacting emotionally?

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
return it... jobs said you can.... why not read before reacting emotionally?
I'll forgive you for that one since your from Australia and don't have the iPhone there. 14 days is the last day you can get any sort of monetary compensation or exchange at the Apple Store.

camtheram

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Colorado
Well this is news to me! It's funny because over the past couple days I have been thinking about the iPhone and if I felt it was a good purchase. I bought the 4GB a couple months ago. More and more the lack of speaker volume, no bulk texting, no picture messaging, and no copy/paste has been annoying me more and more. Don't get me wrong, I like the phone and I think the technology is wonderful, but this $200 price drop hurts. That's $200 that could of covered my T-Mobile cancellation fee. I'm a college student and I had to save up for the iPhone. I doubt I would get much more for the phone on ebay, too. As I type this on my MacBook Pro, I have a bad taste in my mouth for Apple products.

The Toddfather

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Well this is news to me! It's funny because over the past couple days I have been thinking about the iPhone and if I felt it was a good purchase. I bought the 4GB a couple months ago. More and more the lack of speaker volume, no bulk texting, no picture messaging, and no copy/paste has been annoying me more and more. Don't get me wrong, I like the phone and I think the technology is wonderful, but this $200 price drop hurts. That's $200 that could of covered my T-Mobile cancellation fee. I'm a college student and I had to save up for the iPhone. I doubt I would get much more for the phone on ebay, too. As I type this on my MacBook Pro, I have a bad taste in my mouth for Apple products.
So do you begrudge the many other students that are now able to purchase the iPhone? My guess is Apple will earn many more customers than it looses from this price drop.

camtheram

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Colorado
So do you begrudge the many other students that are now able to purchase the iPhone? My guess is Apple will earn many more customers than it looses from this price drop.
It's just annoying. I mean I spent $541.17 for the phone, $200 for cancelling with T-Mobile, and my first iPhone bill was $260. I could have really used that $200 price drop.

The Toddfather

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
It's just annoying. I mean I spent $541.17 for the phone, $200 for cancelling with T-Mobile, and my first iPhone bill was $260. I could have really used that $200 price drop.
I'm not happy about it, but I don't like my iPhone any less than I did yesterday and now many more people will be able to afford it. Just looking for a positive. Good luck with school.

kimirike

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
$260 for your first bill? What plan did you get if I may ask? My bill only increased by $20 since I have a family plan and the first month was only an extra $10 from my previous plan.

Leed

Aug 5, 2007
Well, those of you that can accept it or expected it (so it's cool), more power to you but I'm a Technical Support Manager for one of Apple's channel partners and we try not to run our businesss this way. You all can do what you want but I plan on contacting Apple Customer Relations as soon as possible. Service is becoming worse because we, as consumers, accept this type of treatment. I'm not trying to criticize you all with infinite resources but the reason companies find it okay to outsource support is because consumers don't speak-up enough.

It's the principle of the matter Apple was one of the last companies to (supposedly) pride itself in service/appreciation for customers

The Toddfather

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
It's the principle of the matter Apple was one of the last companies to (supposedly) pride itself in service/appreciation for customers
I can't think of a better way to show appreciation for your customers than lowering the price to make it available to more people. Would you rather have a price increase?

rollinfromhell

Zealot
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
The reason why I'm so pissed, is I just bought the iPhone 3 weeks ago, activated it about 2 weeks ago, and I sold my laptop, my wii, and my dvd burner and that's like almost everything I ever really had and I could of had 200 dollars... I think we should rampage towards Apple, and for whoever said get over it, I know your thinking get a job, or that was stupid, well it wasn't, I still love my iPhone, and I got a 4 gig with all that selling I did for the iPhone. I got cheated completely, like everyone else did. I bought my 4 gig for 541 bucks with tax, now the 8 gigs even cheaper than the 4 gig was 2 days ago. what a rip, im definitely gonna get something out of Apple for this! I don't care how many people I talk to, or what their "policy" is, I'm getting something. Im gonna be on their asses like a crazy mofo!

Leed

Aug 5, 2007
I can't think of a better way to show appreciation for your customers than lowering the price to make it available to more people. Would you rather have a price increase?
Well.. When I say customers, I'm speaking of the Apple loyalists not techies looking for a cool device or mom and dad looking for a cool Christmas gift. I'm talking the guys/gals that were in line on iDay. The same group that purchases a Mac Book Pro on release day to have it crash whenever you attempt to use wireless networking without the power adapter attached (check the forums). That certainly is not a knock on the casual consumer but without the loyal customers that purchased Mac/Apple products when they only held 5% of the computer market share they may not be around today. I supported Apple for so long because they encouraged us to "Think Different" but this was such a Microshaft move that it's not even funny. With this move, outsourcing support, and the obvious QA problems they have been experiencing of late one can't help but to be concerned. Please forgive me but this definitely seems like a slap in the face to loyalists. It isn't the end of the world by any means but I think everyone that feels slighted should express displeasure.

teck

Sep 6, 2007
Customer Service

An Apple a day and at this rate you would be broke.I am one day outside of the 14 day window with a purchase of 2 iPhones $1064.00 (tax included).Not to mention buying the phone before store closing and then activating the phone a few days later.Under a family plan we have had use of the phones for less than 2 weeks.
Policy is policy.However, in a one or two day window this is a direct hit especially for 2 phones.I am one for #$% happens and hate the complainers as much as the next man but I am surprised there are those who can actually justify the loss on a person by only a few days.
Common sense is that electronic prices will drop with speed,but a majority of retailers offer a form of price protection within a 30 day window.apple "not so much".
Let me say while I never been a big fan of Apple.I love the phone so far.I went into the deal knowing the funds will add up with the plan but did not expect the phone to reduced in price by nearly half so close to the release date.Despite the outcome,This is a legitimate eye opener as to how this company treats its biggest fans(especially those who waited in line)
The action taken and response by Apple seems to differ by the method of purchase- if it was at an Apple store,AT&T store or online.The representatives seem to be fully aware of the chase,difficulty and frustration so if you are posting please indicate your method of purchase and exact time frame.
I feel this comes down to good customer service,If the company has you by the horns in 14 days and no exceptions asked then this is what we are dealing with.For those who made the purchase missed the return deadline by a day and can easily take the loss of hundreds because it is worth it and knew what you were getting into Good for you.

Leed

Aug 5, 2007
An Apple a day and at this rate you would be broke.I am one day outside of the 14 day window with a purchase of 2 iPhones $1064.00 (tax included).Not to mention buying the phone before store closing and then activating the phone a few days later.Under a family plan we have had use of the phones for less than 2 weeks.
Policy is policy.However, in a one or two day window this is a direct hit especially for 2 phones.I am one for #$% happens and hate the complainers as much as the next man but I am surprised there are those who can actually justify the loss on a person by only a few days.
Common sense is that electronic prices will drop with speed,but a majority of retailers offer a form of price protection within a 30 day window.apple "not so much".
Let me say while I never been a big fan of Apple.I love the phone so far.I went into the deal knowing the funds will add up with the plan but did not expect the phone to reduced in price by nearly half so close to the release date.Despite the outcome,This is a legitimate eye opener as to how this company treats its biggest fans(especially those who waited in line)
The action taken and response by Apple seems to differ by the method of purchase- if it was at an Apple store,AT&T store or online.The representatives seem to be fully aware of the chase,difficulty and frustration so if you are posting please indicate your method of purchase and exact time frame.
I feel this comes down to good customer service,If the company has you by the horns in 14 days and no exceptions asked then this is what we are dealing with.For those who made the purchase missed the return deadline by a day and can easily take the loss of hundreds because it is worth it and knew what you were getting into Good for you.
Well.. A buddy of mine contacted three different Apple Stores and received three different answers. The first Manhattan Village "Inside of 14 days, No exceptions contact customer relations" The second Santa Monica (3rd Street Promenade) " 30 days or less 200 refund" The third The Grove (LA) "Setup for call back from a higher authority"

We're in California by the way and we purchased from Apple Retail. I'm on my third handset and my latest receipt says Aug 8 (purchase date) his phone was purchased mid July

camtheram

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Colorado
I'm starting to shop around for a new phone. I sold my Blackberry Pearl to get the iPhone. The Blackberry might not have been as fancy as the iPhone but it's almost the same price from when I got it. I also had no problem hearing my calls in loud rooms, it could picture message, and copy/paste. I suppose I am just being bitter... I miss the good ole' days before the iPod craze when Apple actually cared about it's customers :(

m2bpro

Jul 3, 2007
I'm also not very happy with this price drop. The $200 is really not a problem for me its more on how Apple did it. All of the high end phones treo, razr, hp ipaq, htc 8125, etc... didn't have this kind of a price drop in less than 3 months. I remember i bought my treo 650 for $599 and it stayed like that for almost a year. And even when the price dropped it was only $100. And im not so sure about this ipod touch looking like our phones. Its like you buy a nice porsche carrera for $120K and porsche decided to make another carrera same design but with a smaller engine for $80K. All im saying the design should be different to warrant the price difference.

With Apple doing this, I definitely won't be one of the early adopters with their future products. You have to say something people. We cant just sit here and do nothing. This is not normal like some of you might say.

cmrush

Jun 28, 2007
Credit from Apple

Like everyone else, I too was upset about the price drop.. I just bought my phone 39 days ago.. I called the store and as always they were extremley nice to me and sympathetic.
They said anyone who bought it within 30 days will get a store credit/gift card.
I went right down and picked it up, and yes they still gave it to me even though I was 9 days past the 30!
Check with local stores. I also know in Orlando the ATT store called a friend of mine and told him to come get his gift card to Apple!..

iPhoneJones

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Sure, I'm upset but there's nothing I can do since I bought it on iDay. I have just think about how handy it came in when I was away on vacation two weeks almost back to back with no internet or email except using my iPhone. Glad I didn't buy the 4GB one!