Apple falling behind?

uRabbit

Bronze
Jul 13, 2009
With Android OS devices rolling out with new devices every week, and setting the standard in technologies, Apple is - IMO - falling behind. It all started happening when the EVO 4G started beating iPhone in head-to-head comparisons. Now, with devices like the Galaxy S II, with a 1.2Ghz dual-core processor, I feel as though Apple may be playing catch-up. If the iPad 2 is any indication as to what we'll be getting with the next iPhone, it is already outdated.

I have to say, I'm pretty worried.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
HMM I do not see it the way you do.
Apple is the leader. They come out with the iPhone and everyone copies them. They come with the ipad (tablet) everyone messures theirs against Apples and yes perhaps they develope some improvment and that is all fine and dandy.
Just wait and see next iPhone will include something no one else has or even thought about and everyone is racing to copy or duplicate or have simular
And why on the subject show me a tablet that thin before iPad2 release?
And as of 4g well lucky you must live in a big city because even I live in a populated place NO 4G available
So why use 4G device if there are no towers for it?
And talking App store no one has one like Apple and why is it that before iTunes and Appstore there was nothing but mp3?
Look at Amazon they couldn't even think of their own name for "App'store ... How about coin your own brand
So if you look at logic and what was released first, Apple is so to speak winning the tech race !
The world is awaiting and looking at Apple to have the next new great enovation and who knows what it will be ?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
With Android OS devices rolling out with new devices every week, and setting the standard in technologies, Apple is - IMO - falling behind. It all started happening when the EVO 4G started beating iPhone in head-to-head comparisons. Now, with devices like the Galaxy S II, with a 1.2Ghz dual-core processor, I feel as though Apple may be playing catch-up. If the iPad 2 is any indication as to what we'll be getting with the next iPhone, it is already outdated.

I have to say, I'm pretty worried.
Here we go, another Android vs iPhone thread...

Are you comparing the EVO to the 3GS or the iPhone 4. It came out just a few weeks before the iPhone 4, so it's only fair to compare it to that. I disagree that it beat the iPhone in head-to-head comparisons. Which comparisons? Who did the testing? Are you just looking at numbers? For expample, the EVO has a low-quality 8 MP camera, the 5 MP camera on the iPhone 4 takes better pictures and video.

Reactions: phsycology

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
How can anyone be truly worried for Apple right now? They are on top of the world with their success. Growth on top of growth. They're a dream company with regards to their market prowess. I just don't get it...?

Reactions: Marko Markovic

Sundevil75

Bronze
Feb 22, 2011
I'm amazed you post this on a " Apple rules and steve jobs in a god" forum and not expect these responses. Way to go troll

Sent from here

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I think Apple's success is a matter of public record. I'm not debating their products vs others' products... I'm just responding to the topic by saying I think Apple's doing juuuuust fine.

Reactions: monkeysrock0622

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
But saying this makes us fanboys and blind to the truth, Mindi.

Ok, now I need to go take a walk. ;)

uRabbit

Bronze
Jul 13, 2009
I was just doing some thinking is all. Maybe it's because I'm still on the 3GS, and I'm not getting the bigger picture. :) Believe me, I'm a silly fanboy and would do just about anything [sane] to see Apple dominate even more.

And no, I wasn't speaking of 4G. It was just in the name of the phone I was relating to.

I guess it is just the numbers. iPhone 4 and iPad 2 only have 512mb RAM, but I've seen both perform better than their competition, so I guess it's not all in the numbers.

imotionb18

Bronze
Jun 15, 2010
Houston, Tx
This is why I don't see Apple waiting until September to release their next iPhone. Just to stay ahead of the curve. I agree that Android has some decent phones, but saying Apple is falling behind is a stretch.

Irish Rose

Zealot
Sep 6, 2010
This is why I don't see Apple waiting until September to release their next iPhone. Just to stay ahead of the curve. I agree that Android has some decent phones, but saying Apple is falling behind is a stretch.
It doesn't matter if Apple releases the next iPhone before September or not, they wouldn't be ahead. Androids are already out with larger screens, 8MP camera, HDMI- TV out, HD Video capture, and 4G/LTE, and dual core processor..... However, I do believe Apple is ahead and does a nice job of keeping up with software updates and getting them out more quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
It doesn't matter if Apple releases the next iPhone before September or not, they wouldn't be ahead. Androids are already out with larger screens, 8MP camera, HDMI- TV out, HD Video capture, and 4G/LTE, and dual core processor..... However, I do believe Apple is ahead and does a nice job of keeping up with software updates and getting them out more quickly.
And you would be correct. I already said this in another thread, but once Google catches up to the IOS' smooth interface, the honeymoon for Apple will be over. I love my iPhone4 but I am not blind to the reality that it cannot stay king of the cell phone market forever (and I don't mean specifically the iPhone 4, but the cell phone Apple is releasing annually or biannually in general.)

Last edited by a moderator:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
If all these Android phones have so much over the iPhone, why does the iPhone sell so well?

You can only play the "blind sheep" card so many times. There are some very tech-savvy people in this world that choose iOS over others for one reason only: it works better. You can max out specs as much as you want, they don't really amount to innovation compared to what Apple has created in the iOS ecosystem. More memory, more processors, more megapixels, more screen real estate... it doesn't really matter if an iPhone with lesser specs runs smoother and with less end-user hassle. Until Android and others match that seamless experience even your parents can relate to, I don't think Apple has anything to worry about.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
If all these Android phones have so much over the iPhone, why does the iPhone sell so well?

You can only play the "blind sheep" card so many times. There are some very tech-savvy people in this world that choose iOS over others for one reason only: it works better. You can max out specs as much as you want, they don't really amount to innovation compared to what Apple has created in the iOS ecosystem. More memory, more processors, more megapixels, more screen real estate... it doesn't really matter if an iPhone with lesser specs runs smoother and with less end-user hassle. Until Android and others match that seamless experience even your parents can relate to, I don't think Apple has anything to worry about.
-Hondamaker really likes this post.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
I agree w/pretty much everybody's response to the OP. Android is very competitive I agree, but they miss the mark sorely when they have high RAM/memory/ processing phones that have horrible battery life and cheap plastic construction. The quick release of these models attributes to user complaints/bugs/kinks after prolonged use by consumers. Apple has managed to benchmark a sizable amount of power in their phones, as well as pay careful attention to the importance of quality display and packaging. To me it's a given, quality over (mass) quantity, it's obvious.