Apple falling behind?

joek71

Jan 22, 2011
I had the Evo and let me tell you that you can not compare, iPhone 4 is hands down the better phone. First and for most the battery on the Evp totally sucks, I always had to have it plugged in cause the battery would just drain and forget about 4G that would just eat it up alive. My son also had the Evo and when he go to school with 100% charge he would come back with 20% left and he does not listen to music on it he used his iPod he only used to facebook and lite surfing. The screen on iPhone 4 is hands down better, everything about iPhone 4 is better, the only thing maybe and just maybe a 4" screen in future and that's about it. You have tons of manufacturers making Android and just one iPhone company. They all try to copy Apple cause Apple is the leader and will remain that way for lod time. You have to try iPhone 4 to fully appreciate it, Android to boring and to many companies putting there own UI on it, this is a problem.
I came from using Android, rim and palm to I traveled long road and have to say iPhone 4 hands downs the better os .

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I agree w/pretty much everybody's response to the OP. Android is very competitive I agree, but they miss the mark sorely when they have high RAM/memory/ processing phones that have horrible battery life and cheap plastic construction. The quick release of these models attributes to user complaints/bugs/kinks after prolonged use by consumers. Apple has managed to benchmark a sizable amount of power in their phones, as well as pay careful attention to the importance of quality display and packaging. To me it's a given, quality over (mass) quantity, it's obvious.
This DesireHD doesn't feel cheap at all, though slightly on the heavy side as phones go. Standby battery usage is about 15% every 10 hours. Bluetooth is great. Wifi & mobile are trouble free. My screen transitions do funky 3D flips and yet are silky smooth.

I do understand though that Apple is really good at marketing. Annoyingly good. They also keep the choices simple whereas with Android you need to take a little longer to find your fit.

As for being simpler/easier to learn and use, this only applies to the stock platform. If anything, a jb'd iDevice is actually more difficult to manage over a rooted/boot open Android. With the later I've only had to go through hoops once with any device. With the former, how much time have you spent upgrading to the next release of iOS and then back to Cydia to get back to where you left off.

IMO my Droids have aged better both technically and physically. I've always found the backs of iPhones to be a case of designed obsolescence. I mean, I've always managed to keep all my phones in mint condition but I do find Otterboxes funny.

Course Apple has an edge in terms of mobile games but just yesterday I saw someone playing with a Xperia Play, so that space is under siege too.

The one thing most of us can agree on is that competition benefits the consumer. I think we all want the other guy to cause just enough of a stir as long as they know their place in the scheme of things ;D

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

smudgeyjoe

Bronze
Feb 18, 2010
Colorado
Just like 2 add my 2 cents. I was PC guy since the days of using a memory manager to manipulate your memory to play Kings Quest. I had every iteration of the Windows operating system until 7. Last year, I got an iPad on day one and the interface turned me into an Apple nut, with an iMac, Apple TV 1 & 2, and an iPod Touch 4G to go with my iPad 1 & 2. Because my whole family was married to Sprint, I was forced to go with an Android EVO Shift instead of an iPhone. There is a subjective yet important point to be made. This would never happen in my now old life, but humor me. Let's make believe I have 2 girl friends, one is 5'8" 38-24-36, and the other is 5'10" 40-22-38. The second one has the most impressive physique, but ultimately, the one I choose for my wife is the one I have the most fun with, the one with the best personality. My Shift is a very good phone, has really good stats, but if I had to choose between my iPod Touch (as close as I can get to an iPhone), and my Shift, I would leave my Shift at home every night and go carousing with my Touch. There is something amazingly special about the Apple touch interface, and I have not yet seen an Android device that rivals it, despite good stats. By the way, I am not married, and my last girl friend had to shave, smoked cigars, and braided the hair on her legs!

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Just like 2 add my 2 cents. I was PC guy since the days of using a memory manager to manipulate your memory to play Kings Quest. I had every iteration of the Windows operating system until 7. Last year, I got an iPad on day one and the interface turned me into an Apple nut, with an iMac, Apple TV 1 & 2, and an iPod Touch 4G to go with my iPad 1 & 2. Because my whole family was married to Sprint, I was forced to go with an Android EVO Shift instead of an iPhone. There is a subjective yet important point to be made. This would never happen in my now old life, but humor me. Let's make believe I have 2 girl friends, one is 5'8" 38-24-36, and the other is 5'10" 40-22-38. The second one has the most impressive physique, but ultimately, the one I choose for my wife is the one I have the most fun with, the one with the best personality. My Shift is a very good phone, has really good stats, but if I had to choose between my iPod Touch (as close as I can get to an iPhone), and my Shift, I would leave my Shift at home every night and go carousing with my Touch. There is something amazingly special about the Apple touch interface, and I have not yet seen an Android device that rivals it, despite good stats. By the way, I am not married, and my last girl friend had to shave, smoked cigars, and braided the hair on her legs!
I said much the same thing a while back, but I worded it differently: :)

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/thinking-about-an-evo.62182/#post-699341

Irish Rose

Zealot
Sep 6, 2010
Prior to the iOS 5 announcement I did think Apple was falling a little behind. However, after hearing about all the new changes that are coming, I no longer believe that. However, I still think there is room for improvement, though.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Hillbilly

Bronze
Feb 9, 2011
Apple could not release an update to the iPhone in 12 months and they would still be ahead of the come-and-go Androids. 

monkeysrock0622

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Apple could easily add a 4" screen, multicore processor, more ram, 12 MP camera, and everything else Android users brag about, but instead Apple chooses to be smart about their design process and go with a product that give the user a better experience. You cant brag about a product that doesn't work like its supposed to.

This argument always brings to mind a car commercial from a few years ago. I don't remember what cars were being compared but the spokesman said "If everyone is comparing their cars to ours, then we must be doing something right!" And I think this is true in Apple's case as well. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery after all,

Reactions: Hillbilly

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
This argument always brings to mind a car commercial from a few years ago. I don't remember what cars were being compared but the spokesman said "If everyone is comparing their cars to ours, then we must be doing something right!" And I think this is true in Apple's case as well. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery after all,
Musta been a Honda commercial!

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Apple could easily add a 4" screen, multicore processor, more ram, 12 MP camera, and everything else Android users brag about, but instead Apple chooses to be smart about their design process and go with a product that give the user a better experience. You cant brag about a product that doesn't work like its supposed to.

Ironic, notifications, cloud services. Had those a long time ago. I agree though that I find iOS 5 flattering.

Wonder if they'll bork battery usage and smoothness. I admit, it's something that had to be fixed on Android. For me, "had" is key term though I'm sure most focus on "fixed".

uRabbit

Bronze
Jul 13, 2009
I am quite please with all things Apple as of late. iOS 5 is more than we could have hoped for. OS X Lion is taking operating system even further into the future with things like full-screen apps (that look better than they will on Windows 8, guaranteed) and getting even further away from the traditional file system (i.e. new libraries). The iPad 3 coming in the near future with its huge 2048x1536 display. The next iPhones are looking very promising. iCloud reaffirms Apple's confidence with its FREE service. iTunes Match makes pirates like me grow in my pants. Haha. The MacBook Air is most likely getting quad-core CPU's, effectively shutting down any thoughts that competitors have anything on the Air.

Lots of good stuff coming. Microsoft is NOT looking good. Have not heard much of the Android world. Is it just me, or has the Android hype kind of simmered a bit? I am glad, however, that Apple's number one contender is one worth talking about.

uRabbit

Bronze
Jul 13, 2009
Yes, we know, but a tablet OS does not necessarily make a good desktop OS. A lot of developers are skeptic.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I'm thinking it'll be like Windows 7; starter, home premium, professional, ultimate. If the look and feel are consistent then could just call it Windows 8 tablet even though its just the latest WP7. Not like anyone expects to install full desktop apps to a mobile tablet.

uRabbit

Bronze
Jul 13, 2009
Either way, it's going to suck. I'm running W7 right now and wish I'd stayed with XP. W7 is clunky, it throws files in all sorts of directions (I downloaded a zip and it went to temp files, instead of the assigned location!), its system utilities are strewn about, it handles situations unexpectedly, it's a memory hog, a disk space hog, it sucks as a media center, its file security protocol is irritatingly unavoidable (even when turned off AND running as Admin), etc., etc. The only thing it's good for is DX11 and... Actually, nope, that's it. Can't wait to get back onto a Mac next year...

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Either way, it's going to suck. I'm running W7 right now and wish I'd stayed with XP. W7 is clunky, it throws files in all sorts of directions (I downloaded a zip and it went to temp files, instead of the assigned location!), its system utilities are strewn about, it handles situations unexpectedly, it's a memory hog, a disk space hog, it sucks as a media center, its file security protocol is irritatingly unavoidable (even when turned off AND running as Admin), etc., etc. The only thing it's good for is DX11 and... Actually, nope, that's it. Can't wait to get back onto a Mac next year...
On your security comment. Turn down your UAC if you don't want the interruption/verification.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975787

I use Chrome as my browser though am impressed with IE9. With Chrome all downloads go to the "downloads" folder.

I would only do 7 with a 64-bit multi-core CPU and no less than 4GB RAM.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
That's an impossible standard to hold any software developer to - especially when we're talking about something as complicated as an operating system.