Apple iPhone 4S Event Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
4) Battery life: again, another big deal for Apple. With the A5, the new battery is already on higher strain than the iPhone 4's battery was. I guess they should have figured that out as well.
Actually at least for Android multi-core extends the battery life being heavily into background apps continuing to poll, update, etc. Two cores humming at 40% and not generating heat so much better than one sweating.

At this point I'm thinking a fully utilized iOS5 will be the primary hit on the battery.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Some people just need drastic changes just to get exited about something. And the ones who are disappointed, blame the rumors not Apple.
Apple DID deliver, your expectations are the ones who failed you.

Reactions: Kadelic

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
My point was Apple probably didn't decide to go against a bigger screen on a whim.
Definitely not a whim. 30-months+ on mostly same internals. Yes, the board chips and CPU have changed but this absolutely could not be avoided and it at least reduces costs on the iPad2, being the same or similar A5. The change in the drop-in cam should have negligent impact on tooling and the assembly line. End result is huge profitability on the assumption that the consumer reaction can be shaped.

On the other side, the Sharp Aquos 102SH phone was announced on Sept 29. It has 4.5" HD screen doing 329dpi so retina + large screen across all Android's is expected around 2Q'12. It also has a 12M camera.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto

Wouldn't next year's iPhone be the iP4GS?

BTW, an 8GB iPhone 4 at $549 isn't actually gonna make a dent as a cheaper model. An HTC Sensation 4G lists at that price.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Definitely not a whim. 30-months+ on mostly same internals. Yes, the board chips and CPU have changed but this absolutely could not be avoided and it at least reduces costs on the iPad2, being the same or similar A5. The change in the drop-in cam should have negligent impact on tooling and the assembly line. End result is huge profitability on the assumption that the consumer reaction can be shaped.

On the other side, the Sharp Aquos 102SH phone was announced on Sept 29. It has 4.5" HD screen doing 329dpi so retina + large screen across all Android's is expected around 2Q'12. It also has a 12M camera.
Did you mean negligible? ;)

Reactions: iP5

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm changing the name of the thread since it wasn't a press conference.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I'm changing the name of the thread since it wasn't a press conference.
Maybe add "Talk iPhone" or 2011 so that it doesn't get recycled when the 6th iPhone releases?

Locutus

Bronze
Aug 22, 2010
I'm going to have to agree with those who have said it is people's expectations (based on nothing more than rumors) that have let them down and prevents them from really appreciate the spec of the iPhone 4S.
You need blame all of those posted images of ugly tear-drop shaped iPhones and those images of iPhones with impossibly large screens, not Apple. The new phone was exactly as I expected it to be; a fantastic set of internal upgrade using the same chassis.

It's been ridiculous to assume that Apple would give up the iPhone 4 design after only a year. It goes against the way Apple has designed it previous iPhones. Everyone keeps trying to put Apple and the iPhone in the same box as ALL of the Android phone makers and that's just asinine.
Android phone are a dime a dozen and only a few of them are actually any good.
The iPhone stands out in design and construction quality. That is something you rarely hear about in Android phones because with them it's mostly about the internal specs. Apple manages to have great design AND impressive specs all in one fantastic phone.

Does the iPhone have the largest screen? No, but who really wants mobile phones to start getting bigger again? Didn't manufacturers just spend the last 30 years or so trying to make them smaller?
Does the iPhone have the most powerful processors? No, but who really cares? The processor upgrade is powerful enough to do what the iPhone needs in order to work FLAWLESSLY.

Comparing what the iPhone needs and what an Android phone needs is silly because they are constructed differently. iPhones are optimize to perform so that the experience is never tarnished by components that don't work well together. The experience is more important than specs with Apple. Specs are important with Android because the phones are all over the place quality-wise, so having the absolute most powerful spec are important to when the Android experience is so different on different Android phones.

Apple will continue to do what it does well, put quality of iPhone construction and iOS experience above simply having the latest and greatest specs in order to stand out. If that's not for you there are a ton if different Android phones out there, I'm sure you'll find one that fits you. Just stop trying to convince the rest of us that your opinion of the new iPhone should be ours as well.

P.S. If there are typos, I apologize. I was trying to write all of this in a hurry. :)

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Hmm. Surprise, surprise. Nothing there that I'd debate. :D

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I'm going to have to agree with those who have said it is people's expectations (based on nothing more than rumors) that have let them down and prevents them from really appreciate the spec of the iPhone 4S.
You need blame all of those posted images of ugly tear-drop shaped iPhones and those images of iPhones with impossibly large screens, not Apple. The new phone was exactly as I expected it to be; a fantastic set of internal upgrade using the same chassis.

It's been ridiculous to assume that Apple would give up the iPhone 4 design after only a year. It goes against the way Apple has designed it previous iPhones. Everyone keeps trying to put Apple and the iPhone in the same box as ALL of the Android phone makers and that's just asinine.
Android phone are a dime a dozen and only a few of them are actually any good.
The iPhone stands out in design and construction quality. That is something you rarely hear about in Android phones because with them it's mostly about the internal specs. Apple manages to have great design AND impressive specs all in one fantastic phone.

Does the iPhone have the largest screen? No, but who really wants mobile phones to start getting bigger again? Didn't manufacturers just spend the last 30 years or so trying to make them smaller?
Does the iPhone have the most powerful processors? No, but who really cares? The processor upgrade is powerful enough to do what the iPhone needs in order to work FLAWLESSLY.

Comparing what the iPhone needs and what an Android phone needs is silly because they are constructed differently. iPhones are optimize to perform so that the experience is never tarnished by components that don't work well together. The experience is more important than specs with Apple. Specs are important with Android because the phones are all over the place quality-wise, so having the absolute most powerful spec are important to when the Android experience is so different on different Android phones.

Apple will continue to do what it does well, put quality of iPhone construction and iOS experience above simply having the latest and greatest specs in order to stand out. If that's not for you there are a ton if different Android phones out there, I'm sure you'll find one that fits you. Just stop trying to convince the rest of us that your opinion of the new iPhone should be ours as well.

P.S. If there are typos, I apologize. I was trying to write all of this in a hurry. :)

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app
Great post! I agree 100%. So many years trying to make small phones and now people complain because it didn't get bigger? The outside didn't change but neither did it change from the 3G to the 3GS did it? So Apple is being consistent. That's why you can't get all caught up with the rumors and the hype. It's happened to all of us before. How about the great movie who everybody is talking about and you hear so many great reviews that when you finally go see it you say " yeah, it was good" but you didn't say great although it really was?

Status
Not open for further replies.