Apple making 2 announcements at their event?

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Today on our local news channel, they have an electronics reporter and he is claiming that Apple will be making 2 big announcements at the event scheduled at the end of the month. One will probably be no big surprise to anyone and will probably be some sort of "tablet", but any ideas on what the other could be? I am hoping a Verizon announcement? I read several reports on Twitter today that their are test CDMA iPhones in the wild in San Francisco working on Verizon's network. Maybe I am just hopeful about that. I know not to believe any Apple rumors until they are actually announced but the second announcement thing has me curious.

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
From all of the rumor sites and blogs that I read, my guess is that they will almost certainly announce a tablet. Also, there is enough noise out there regarding release of a the next generation iPhone (and/or new network provider), that I'd give this a good chance of happening as well.

At least Apple always makes things exciting for us by not pre-releasing any information. Less than two weeks more to wait :sneaky:

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I don't think they will mention anything about the next 4G iPhone. If anything, it will be 4.0 FW.

The Tablet has got to be one of the announcements, I'll be upset if it isn't :(

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I agree, a major 4.0 firmware release might come before the next generation of the iPhone is announced. This release would have to have enough "goodies" to compete with the onslaught of Android phones being released.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I can just imagine jobs et al ... "and the 4.0 software is being made available to developers as of tomorrow"

:)

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Agreed. But the gap has closed big time! So they really need to do something.
No, I'm pretty sure Apple are still at the top. Every time a new phone comes out they say 'This the iPhone killer'.

Apple are still beating off all competition, I think it will come close just before the release of the next gen iPhone, but as for now. I think Apple is comfortable, especially with a new product, hopefully getting released at the end of the month.

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
I'll have to agree with most who have posted.

Apple will def. release something about the rumored Tablet, iSlate

I am hoping instead of talking about other carriers getting the iPhone we can first get 4.0 OS for the iPhone users using AT&T's network.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I'll have to agree with most who have posted.

Apple will def. release something about the rumored Tablet, iSlate

I am hoping instead of talking about other carriers getting the iPhone we can first get 4.0 OS for the iPhone users using AT&T's network.
What are you talking about?

Everyone gets the OS at the same time, with the exception of the devs as they perform beta testing...

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
If Verizon are getting the iPhone, it's fair to release this news to the press. Just blank it out until the iPhone stuff comes on :)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I wouldn't be only slightly surprised if they revealed new iPhone hardware at this event, for release in April. While a yearly product cycle has worked for Apple up to this point, the current level of competition this year in addition to general bad vibes with their exclusive carrier might force them to ramp it up a bit...

I say at least the 4.0 beta release will happen, as well as the aforementioned tablet.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
and now the event is on.

Apple Sending Invites for January 27th “Latest Creation” Event

Last edited:

monkeysrock0622

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Everything I have seen about other announcements (besides the Tablet) at this event say something about OS 4.0 being revealed. I really hope Dave is right about the hardware too, that would be awesome.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Just read this on Twitter from several sites : "Also expected at this event is the announcement of iPhone OS 4.0, which will be the operating system used on the new device." So I guess everyone pretty much is on the same page about thinking this is the second announcement. Whatever it will be I do believe this will be a great event. Not like the ones in the past waiting for cut & paste, mms, video, etc. The iPhone now (regardless of carrier issues) is great and any addition to the phone itself will be icing on the cake.