Apple says I sent back an empty box

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Two points:

1. Early in the game, I sent my phone out to BodyGuardz to have a skin put on. I sent it via UPS. I was very, very careful with how I shipped it. First off, I took it to a packaging store to insure that it was packaged very, very well. I WOULD NOT ALLOW them to ship it for me, because the guy who packaged it, obviously knew what was in the box! (DANGER ALERT! He could have easily stolen it!) Then, when I took it to UPS to ship it myself, I made absolutely certain to insure it for the value of the phone, and when I was asked to disclose the contents of the box, umm, gosh, I did NOT say it was an iPhone! Basically, the moral is this: The chances of them opening a box to steal the contents is much lower if they have don't know what it is in the box. So be careful when you ship something like an iPhone.

2. To the original poster: Can't you just file an insurance claim with FedEx? If you had insurance, they should give you the $600 and you buy a new phone. Yes, they will have to do their nifty little investigation, but it should be fairly simple.

Rumpelgeist

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Getting the police or media involved IMO, is a waste of time.
Not for me, as having a documented police report has helped me in the past. And based on the comments from the OP, it helped him get things rolling too.

--
Mike

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Well Apple, sent me the box and the label. I hope they had insurance on it.
I can't imagine that they didn't. I think I would ask them that question.

But, along the lines of my earlier post, with something this expensive, I wouldn't take the chance. I would throw Apple's box and label in the trash, bite the bullet, and pay the shipping so that I could control the security of the shipping.

Rumpelgeist

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
I agree, and in the future, you can bet I'll go into it differently. Now let's say the investigation is over, and they see where it went missing, you don't think they would actually send me another phone do you? I hope they just let me go to a store and get the replacement.

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
So Apple called me last night and just informed me the investagation is still underway, I said "Can't you just ask FedEx to check the weight of the box when it was shipped and compare that along the way to see when the weight was different?" And he said that the iPhone is so light that wouldn't work. I was dumbfounded. I said"So i have absolutely no proof that I shipped it in the box then?" And he told me it wasn't a question of having to prove it was in the box, that they are looking for the phone. Sounds very odd to me.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Anyone see that Dateline episode where they left iPods where they could be boosted? Dateline was able to track down the thieves using the iPod serial numbers... but Apple says there's no way that Apple can do this. What a joke -- it's more of a "we don't want to do this" than a "we can't do this."
/off topic

And I believe Apple. I thought that whole Dateline thing was a farce to get people to believe that iPod could be tracked down.

First of all, the iPods were left in places where they could just be picked up. Since when did iPod come with tracking devices?

Second, if you decide to register your iPod through iTunes, the only thing you are entering is your serial #. That serial is not connected through any type of GPS that is going to pinpoint the house in which that iPod is laying next to the computer.

Third, as far as I am concerned, IMHO.... those iPods werent stolen; they were found. Did any of these finders go into a store, swipe one, and jump into a getaway car?

This isn't the first time Dateline has aired their "imvestigations" which left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Have I ever "found" an iPod? No. I've paid with a credit card for every one that I've purchased. I just don't think it fair or creditable to setup people then call them thieves.

/on topic

To the OP, I hope a resolution is emminent. One other thing/person that should ALSO be investigated is is the individual who signed for the package once it made it back to Apple.

I sent a phone (6700) back to Sprint, in their return envelope with their label. Sprint told me they never received it; yet using the tracking number they provided, through UPS's website showed me that the package had been signed for by Sprint months ago.

Sprint proceeded to charge me $549.99 on 3 separate occasions. They also told me that they had no way of tracking the package. How in the hell can they not track a package when they supplied the label; I didn't make it in my basement!?

I feel like I spent way too much time proving my own case to these people. Finally I was able to get someone competent on the phone (Sprint) who tracked down the package laying around somewhere in Sprint warehouse.

Its a damn shame that we should now have to take pictures of the contents of packages just so we can be one step above the BS!

And yes.... I'm still anger about it.

GoldenAnkh

Bronze
Apr 5, 2007
Michigan, USA
www.robinsachs.com
I have a friend who sent an expensive package to his fiancee, who was working out of town for a year, and the package arrived to her empty. After the same sort of running around, and "we never received it to even ship it" and employees being rude, he ended up having to write to the president/CEO of UPS in order for anything to be done about it.

Turns out employees at that store were stealing things from packages and finally an investigation had been launched because of his letter. A few weeks later, someone in a suit and tie from UPS personally delivered her package and apologized for the problem. From what I remember, everyone at that store involved was fired.

Don't give up, be persistent. I am SURE they will take care of you, just don't let them give you the runaround!

chevychic55

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
OC Cali
I have a friend who sent an expensive package to his fiancee, who was working out of town for a year, and the package arrived to her empty. After the same sort of running around, and "we never received it to even ship it" and employees being rude, he ended up having to write to the president/CEO of UPS in order for anything to be done about it.

Turns out employees at that store were stealing things from packages and finally an investigation had been launched because of his letter. A few weeks later, someone in a suit and tie from UPS personally delivered her package and apologized for the problem. From what I remember, everyone at that store involved was fired.

Don't give up, be persistent. I am SURE they will take care of you, just don't let them give you the runaround!
I used to work at UPS in the "sort aisle." It is basically the hub of the plant where ALL of the packages go so that we could determine which truck/plane they belonged on. People stole all the time (I never did, but I was litterally the only girl there and girls are nicer in general). UPS "inspects" you when you leave (just a guy waving a crappy wand over you as fast as possible). People used to steal cameras and ipods all the time. We knew which truck had which boxes and they would "drop" the box until it busted open. While waiting for the guy to come around and tape the boxes it was a free for all. The supervisors were in on it too. They would put the stuff in the hood from their sweater because the metal detector wand never went up there.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I used to work at UPS in the "sort aisle." It is basically the hub of the plant where ALL of the packages go so that we could determine which truck/plane they belonged on. People stole all the time (I never did, but I was litterally the only girl there and girls are nicer in general). UPS "inspects" you when you leave (just a guy waving a crappy wand over you as fast as possible). People used to steal cameras and ipods all the time. We knew which truck had which boxes and they would "drop" the box until it busted open. While waiting for the guy to come around and tape the boxes it was a free for all. The supervisors were in on it too. They would put the stuff in the hood from their sweater because the metal detector wand never went up there.
Wow, incredible.

kazaam

Bronze
Oct 8, 2007
how did file a police report? Did you call 911 to file the report? This is a good chance for me to learn to..

after all this, Im afraid to ship again.. I thought people working in the shipping carier are all honest and working with ethics.. now i know..

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
I just went to the local Police Station and asked if I could file a report. It was pretty easy, I was in and out in twenty minutes.I know the police aren't going to find it, but based on the advice I got from some others here when I started this thread, I just wanted to show Apple and FedEx that I was serious, and after I got my case number, that's when things seemed to get moving. I haven't heard anything back from Apple since the last time I updated here, I might try and call again tomorrow.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I thought people working in the shipping carier are all honest and working with ethics.. now i know..
nothing wrong with being a "glass half full" person... just realize that not "all" people are honest and ethical... no matter the occupation.

GoldenAnkh

Bronze
Apr 5, 2007
Michigan, USA
www.robinsachs.com

Dang! My friend's instance was at a UPS Store, so it hadn't even made it to the hub yet!

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
The Conclusion

So the conclusion has finally happened on this. Apple sent me a brand new 8g phone, in the box like when you buy it with the dock, headohones, usb cord, wiping cloth, the whole thing! I am very pleased. I had a 4g and it just killed me that two weeks after I got it the 8g was less than what I paid. Apple never told me if my phone, the one I sent in for repair was ever found, I just got a call on Monday from someone and they said they were upgrading me to the 8g for free, and they apoligized for what had happened. So I just want to thank everyone in this thread who gave me suggestions, it really worked for me.!

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
I was wondering how the saga was going to end, although I thought that you'd eventually get reimbursed somehow. Nice that Apple sent an 8 GB iPhone. Hope this one stays healthy!

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
So the conclusion has finally happened on this. Apple sent me a brand new 8g phone, in the box like when you buy it with the dock, headohones, usb cord, wiping cloth, the whole thing! I am very pleased. I had a 4g and it just killed me that two weeks after I got it the 8g was less than what I paid. Apple never told me if my phone, the one I sent in for repair was ever found, I just got a call on Monday from someone and they said they were upgrading me to the 8g for free, and they apoligized for what had happened. So I just want to thank everyone in this thread who gave me suggestions, it really worked for me.!
That's awesome news!

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I actually made a phone call to Apple and told them to sort it out. I told them if they didn't give you a new phone, I would come up and break their legs.

Amazing how violence fixes everything. THE AMERICAN WAY.

Nice one mate.

Maahu

Bronze
Sep 19, 2007
I actually made a phone call to Apple and told them to sort it out. I told them if they didn't give you a new phone, I would come up and break their legs.

Amazing how violence fixes everything. THE AMERICAN WAY. But unlike the yanks, we Brits win our wars.

Nice one mate.
Those of us subscribed to this thread couldn't help but notice how you deleted the text in red from your forum post. Perhaps you were remembering the Falklands? Or maybe you realized that you didn't actually win WWII all by yourselves.