Apple Still Not Playing Well With Others. Bono (U2) Dumps iPhone For A BlackBerry.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Nope! It was Blackberry's response to the iPhone. ( in other words, they were losing customers to the iPhone even though they held the market for push email. They needed something to bring them back to the 'Berry)
As with most corporate offices, we have BlackBerry's for those that need them. There is one storm floating around that has been passed from exec to exec. None of them like it. And when I show them my iPhone, They kind of drool a little because of the ease of use. But they are not ready for the iPhone, even with push because we use Lotus Notes for email. And it is one F'd-up system. (they have spent the last 4 years and about a dozen new servers trying to correct the incompetence of the Admin we had)

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I dig U2 but who cares what phone they use. I've seen them all and iPhone is the best phone for me.

The past 2 days Howard Stern's been talking up the Bold. He didn't like the iPhone because of the typing. Again... who cares.
Enough people care that RIM AND Apple pay them money to use their phones and music players.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
I don't think we're discussing the same topic. Steve Jobs is selling the iPhone. He pitched it... he told you what it could do and you bought it.

What I'm saying is I don't care what phone Bono, Howard Stern or any other celebrity uses. I'm not buying a phone just because they use it or are paid to use it. I'm buying a phone because it works for me.

I don't think you can argue that point.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I don't think we're discussing the same topic. Steve Jobs is selling the iPhone. He pitched it... he told you what it could do and you bought it.

What I'm saying is I don't care what phone Bono, Howard Stern or any other celebrity uses. I'm not buying a phone just because they use it or are paid to use it. I'm buying a phone because it works for me.

You are correct it is your opinion and you are entitled to it. However there are many others who do purchase items because they are endorsed by celebrities. Company's don't pay out millions of dollars a year in endorsements because people aren't listening to their pitch people.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It is true, I think they rely on the old adage, "There's a sucker born every minute". I research products before buying them. No one, including my favorite celebrity, could get me to buy a Storm.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
However there are many others who do purchase items because they are endorsed by celebrities.
Sad but true.

Like Europa, I research a product and find what works for me. If U2 thinks BB works for them then more power to them. If Howard Stern uses BB because of Lotus Notes and the keyboard... bravo. I like U2 and listen to Howard Stern almost daily but what phone might work for them might not work for me. So I check it out.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana

I wasn't trying to argue...... because I agree with you. My response was my way of saying I don't care about celeb endorsements. The reason I bought the iPhone was because I was blown away when it was introduced by Steve Jobs. That keynote, and the fact that the iPhone kicks ass, is what caused me to buy it! Most members of this forum are not "sheep". They determine what device they want through educated research.

I think you and I are on the same page.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
Maybe so... which celebrity convinced you to buy the phone you have?
None. I got it after living in Europe for a couple of years. Heard of it coming out but wasn't available over there. Like most of us here in this forum we have the iPhone because we are tech addicts. Most of us researched the phone and bought for those reasons rather than seeing celebrities use the phone. Forums like this simply attract that crowd.