Apple swapped my brand new 4S for a refurb

FFAP1234

Bronze
Jun 12, 2010
I don't know who is the question for, but if the battery question is for me, I had no problem with the battery that I would be aware of, the first phone I got had rattling problems, ( when Siri talked, or particular pitches, the second one was with FaceTime.

snowtrooper1966

Genius
Gold
Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
I was swapped a refurb for my 3 week old 4S 64GB.
Believe me, was not keen on the idea, but store staff assured me, as has been posted already here, that the "guts" of the device are the only refurb parts.
All exterior components (glass and metal) that u can see should all be new.
I've had no performance issues with my refurb other than it has the camera lens rattle, a bit worse than my original.
They promised I could swap it out again if the rattle was really bothering me.
It does, and likely will swap it out at some point.
Kind of holding out hope Apple acknowledges the rattle and/or it might just be attributed to early batches of device......

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
My iPhone 4 rattled (I doubt I ever would have noticed it if it wasn't for all the "rattle" threads) the entire time I owned it, which was 17 months. There are moving parts so it's not necessarily a problem. Mine functioned just fine so I didn't even consider swapping it out.

FFAP1234

Bronze
Jun 12, 2010
I'm a musician, and I promise you, it didn't take 1 minute for me to notice that it was rattling, it was very obvious that even the store people could hear it. My new one also rattles but it isn't as bad.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
Refurbs are used as replacements in a lot of things. If you have a ps3 or Xbox that has ever been sent in under warranty it was either fixed but most times just swapped for a refurb. They look brand new & from my experience work as good as new. I'm sure tvs that were referenced earlier or any electronic device are probably the same. Not to mention all the accessories don't have to be an issue for the company doing it this way unless of course they are defective in which case they would be replaced individually just like the main device.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
My iPhone 4 rattled (I doubt I ever would have noticed it if it wasn't for all the "rattle" threads) the entire time I owned it, which was 17 months. There are moving parts so it's not necessarily a problem. Mine functioned just fine so I didn't even consider swapping it out.
every iPhone4S I've tested if it rattles has, and that's a lot including family, friends, coworkers and mine. At first I worried about it, not anymore.
I think it's on the camera.

lori321

Bronze
Dec 13, 2011
You should of bought from Apple !

@Tnakajima702: What difference does it make? The outcome would have been the same. Actually if the Apple rep was honest that the phone could have been a refurb, then I could have taken it back to AT&T and gotten a new one. Apple would always replace it with a referb.

lori321

Bronze
Dec 13, 2011
Can't just complain to Apple and tell them it's a refurb and get a new one ?
I did. They essentially told me what everyone here is saying, that a refurb is just as good, if not better. I feels wrong to me that the company can simply swap out a week-old phone for a remanufactured one. I had just paid $300plus for the phone. If I'd wanted a refurb phone, I could have gotten one for less.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010

@Tnakajima702: What difference does it make? The outcome would have been the same. Actually if the Apple rep was honest that the phone could have been a refurb, then I could have taken it back to AT&T and gotten a new one. Apple would always replace it with a referb.
I think AT&T does refurbs as well.

lori321

Bronze
Dec 13, 2011
I think you need to calm down. There's nothing wrong with refurbs. They get more inspection then the new ones. They get a new battery, shell and what ever the problem on the phone. There's no rule that says you can do 1 warranty exchange only. Go back and get another phone if theres a problem!
Why are you saying I should calm down? You are telling me about the refurbs exactly what Apple did. And that may well be true. We don't know. Have no idea why the phone was remanufactured. The point is they should have given me the option of taking it back to AT&T for a new one. And they didn't.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
Why are you saying I should calm down? You are telling me about the refurbs exactly what Apple did. And that may well be true. We don't know. Have no idea why the phone was remanufactured. The point is they should have given me the option of taking it back to AT&T for a new one. And they didn't.
But whatever the reason was, it was replaced, and tested thoroughly. I've seen many times on here where a refurb is better then new, actually. And I don't agree with them giving you the option to return it. All I'm saying.

lori321

Bronze
Dec 13, 2011
The 33 days of talk time does not reflect the amount of use of the refurb prior to you getting it. It sounds like you restored it from a backup of your old phone (3GS?), and that is a measurement of your usage on the old device. The iPhone 4S was reset to factory settings prior to you receiving it.

All electronics companies replace defective devices with refurbs. Occasionally, people get a new one, but that is only of they don't have refurbs in stock. They are thoroughly inspected and probably less likely to have problems than a new one. Your battery issues are probably software-related and capable of being fixed with a firmware update. 5.0.1 fixed the problem for many, but not all. Apple is currently working on another fix for the battery bug.

I recommend restoring to factory settings. It will likely fix the problems with apps crashing. That is almost always software-related. I always start fresh and set my iPhones up as a new device each time I get a new one. I restore from backup throughout the year, but I think the odds of problems like these are lower of you set a new phone up as a new device.
I restored it from a backup of the 4-day old 4s that they swapped out, not the 3Gs which had 2 years worth of talk time. The phone was obviously not reset to factory settings. The problem is Apple can't explain the 33 days. It's fine to say I should be happy with a refurb. I wouldn't have paid $330 for a refurbished phone, though its clear many on here would have.

lori321

Bronze
Dec 13, 2011
But whatever the reason was, it was replaced, and tested thoroughly. I've seen many times on here where a refurb is better then new, actually. And I don't agree with them giving you the option to return it. All I'm saying.
You don't agree AT&T should give customers the option to return a defective product? Who are you?

Reactions: Leo and Bennyboy

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
You don't agree AT&T should give customers the option to return a defective product? Who are you, Hitler?
They do. If they can't get yours fixed they give you one that works as good as new & looks new. When you buy a phone it comes with more than just a phone.They aren't gonna swap out a new phone with new accessories for a faulty phone with used, fully functional accessories. Agree with it or not that's just the way it is. Like I said AT&T does the same thing.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
You don't agree AT&T should give customers the option to return a defective product? Who are you, xxxxxx?
No, Apple. Apple shouldn't give you the option to say "You can either get a refurb or return it". You paid what was it like 300 and some for the phone I saw above but don't remember exactly and you didn't pay that to get a refurb. You paid that for the phone. It's either you have a defective phone or a good refurb phone.

Tattooed Alex

Genius
Gold
Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
Nobody is arguing the fact that Apple refurbs are great products and possibly better than a new model, but I would be a little upset as well if I took in a week old product and was given a refurb in return. Apple sells refurbs at a discounted rate so shouldn't the Op receive the difference between the new and refurbished product? Who wants to buy anything at the new price that has been refurbished? Putting our love of Apple aside I think it is a fair argument to make.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Reactions: lori321

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
It's a fair argument but it's a warranty policy that isn't just used by Apple. I guess to avoid this, especially within the 30 days, just return it & then go buy another new one.

Reactions: Tomscave

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I restored it from a backup of the 4-day old 4s that they swapped out, not the 3Gs which had 2 years worth of talk time. The phone was obviously not reset to factory settings. The problem is Apple can't explain the 33 days. It's fine to say I should be happy with a refurb. I wouldn't have paid $330 for a refurbished phone, though its clear many on here would have.
Did you set your first 4S up as a new phone or did you restore it from the backup of the 3GS?

Again, that's how it works. All electronics compainies do that. My 4S is likely a refurb as well. It's fine.