Apple swapped my brand new 4S for a refurb

lori321

Bronze
Dec 13, 2011
They do. If they can't get yours fixed they give you one that works as good as new & looks new. When you buy a phone it comes with more than just a phone.They aren't gonna swap out a new phone with new accessories for a faulty phone with used, fully functional accessories. Agree with it or not that's just the way it is. Like I said AT&T does the same thing.
Dude, why don't you do some research for a change? AT&T, Sprint and I'm sure Verizon, too, have 30-day return policies. I could have taken back the phone and gotten my money back if I wanted, since Apple had determined the phone was defective. I hope you actually work for Apple. You've certainly drank the Koolaid.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
Dude, why don't you do some research for a change? AT&T, Sprint and I'm sure Verizon, too, have 30-day return policies. I could have taken back the phone and gotten my money back if I wanted, since Apple had determined the phone was defective. I hope you actually work for Apple. You've certainly drank the Koolaid.
Maybe I'm drinking the Koolaid too, but I thought it was 14 days?

Yep looks like I am, after all. :)

lori321

Bronze
Dec 13, 2011
Did you set your first 4S up as a new phone or did you restore it from the backup of the 3GS?

Again, that's how it works. All electronics compainies do that. My 4S is a refurb as well. It's fine.
I did it both ways; as new phone initially on the advise of AppleCare and after I realized I couldn't get my photos and contact that way, I restored from back up after I couldn't do it from iClouds.
I don't agree that all electronics cos do it that way. If I bought a flat screen TV that turned out to be defective, I could take it back to, say, Best Buy and they'd give me a new one as a replacement or my money back. What you mean is Apple does it this way.

lori321

Bronze
Dec 13, 2011
It's a fair argument but it's a warranty policy that isn't just used by Apple. I guess to avoid this, especially within the 30 days, just return it & then go buy another new one.
yes. I would. Read the original post that explains why I can't.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
Dude why don't you go back a page & read. If you know the return policy you would think you understood the warranty policy. Guess not.

lori321

Bronze
Dec 13, 2011
Dude why don't you go back a page & read. If you know the return policy you would think you understood the warranty policy. Guess not.
Actually I'm done responding to you. It's obvious that you either can't read or you are incapable of rational reasonable thought.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
Actually I'm done responding to you. It's obvious that you either can't read or you are incapable of rational reasonable thought.
If you had understood the warranty policy you would have known that it's possible to get a refurb as a replacement & by reading your initial post you're not sure if you even got a refurb. If you wanted to be sure to get a new phone replacement you should have returned it under the 30 day policy to begin with. Some places won't even accept returns on certain products they tell you to use the manufacturers warranty. Send a tv in & your more than likely to get a refurb back. Same with ps3s, Xbox's, etc.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I did it both ways; as new phone initially on the advise of AppleCare and after I realized I couldn't get my photos and contact that way, I restored from back up after I couldn't do it from iClouds.
I don't agree that all electronics cos do it that way. If I bought a flat screen TV that turned out to be defective, I could take it back to, say, Best Buy and they'd give me a new one as a replacement or my money back. What you mean is Apple does it this way.
So it sounds like you restored from the backup of a 4S which was restored from the backup of a 3GS. If so, that would explain the 33 days of talk time. A restore to factory settings resets the lifetime call time back to zero. Refurbs are set to factory settings.

No, I assure you that other compainies do it as well. It's not just Apple. I'm referrering to when you go through the manufacturer for an exchange.

lori321

Bronze
Dec 13, 2011
So it sounds like you restored from the backup of a 4S which was restored from the backup of a 3GS. If so, that would explain the 33 days of talk time. A restore to factory settings resets the lifetime call time back to zero. Refurbs are set to factory settings.

No, I assure you that other compainies do it as well. It's not just Apple. I'm referrering to when you go through the manufacturer for an exchange.
So explain the 33 days lifetime calltime on the phone. I had the 3Gs two years and backed it up the same day I restored the damaged 4s, which I had only four days. So where does the 33 days come from. Apple couldn't explain it. Again, I'm not talking about going to a manufacturer for an exchange. We are talking about a brand new product that Apple determined to be defective. Regardless of what the warranty is, the final decision should have been mine about whether to take a refurb or take it back to AT&T since I didn't buy the phone from them.

lori321

Bronze
Dec 13, 2011
If you had understood the warranty policy you would have known that it's possible to get a refurb as a replacement & by reading your initial post you're not sure if you even got a refurb. If you wanted to be sure to get a new phone replacement you should have returned it under the 30 day policy to begin with. Some places won't even accept returns on certain products they tell you to use the manufacturers warranty. Send a tv in & your more than likely to get a refurb back. Same with ps3s, Xbox's, etc.
If I bought a TV today, figured out it wasn't working tonight and took it back to BestBuy tomorrow, why in the world would I get a refurbished TV or even accept one? It's the same with this phone. You are correct, I should have taken it back to AT&T instead of taking it to Apple. I wanted to be able to tell AT&T definitively that the phone was defective, which is what Apple found. But they also should have given me the option between an old rebuilt and my original new phone. AppleCare said its a 95 percent certainty its remanufactured, given the statistics.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
I think tvs at best buy are 30 days in which you have to return it with everything it came with. You can exchange or do a refund but depending on how you paid you may get a refund by check in the mail in a week or so. After 30 days it has to go under manufacturers warranty where you send it in & probably get a refurb. Things vary store to store, manufacturer to manufacturer, & product to product. You went straight to the manufacturer & that's why you got what you did. If its defective take it back & replace it again.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Mattresses returned within 30 days of purchase can and are resold as new. Not required by law to inform you either.
That's 29 days of someone else's dead skin and bodily fluids in your "new" mattress.

lori321

Bronze
Dec 13, 2011
I think tvs at best buy are 30 days in which you have to return it with everything it came with. You can exchange or do a refund but depending on how you paid you may get a refund by check in the mail in a week or so. After 30 days it has to go under manufacturers warranty where you send it in & probably get a refurb. Things vary store to store, manufacturer to manufacturer, & product to product. You went straight to the manufacturer & that's why you got what you did. If its defective take it back & replace it again.
If I recall you or someone else said all electronics are replaced by refurbs. But we are not talking about 30 day old tvs here. I'm talking about a four-day old $300+ phone. I think you are missing the main point which is that I would have taken it back to AT&T if Apple had told me I was getting a refurb and not said it was brand new and given me the option of taking my old phone back. I feel like I'm repeating myself here, over and over here.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
You went straight to the manufacturer & got something that may or may not be a refurb. That's how manufacturer returns work. If that phone is defective take it back. If you know everything why didn't you go to AT&T to begin with? Why did you bother posting about it? I guess only you know that & at this point nobody cares. Hindsight is 20/20, live & learn.

FFAP1234

Bronze
Jun 12, 2010
Is is for VOLS34; I don't think you have the right to talk for other people saying that nobody cares. I DO, and I hope there are many others.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So explain the 33 days lifetime calltime on the phone. I had the 3Gs two years and backed it up the same day I restored the damaged 4s, which I had only four days. So where does the 33 days come from. Apple couldn't explain it. Again, I'm not talking about going to a manufacturer for an exchange. We are talking about a brand new product that Apple determined to be defective. Regardless of what the warranty is, the final decision should have been mine about whether to take a refurb or take it back to AT&T since I didn't buy the phone from them.
The 33 days of call time is from your 3GS (since you used a backup of it on the first 4S). Have you tried restoring it to factory settings?

Warning issued for insulting a member in post #41.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
Mattresses returned within 30 days of purchase can and are resold as new. Not required by law to inform you either.
That's 29 days of someone else's dead skin and bodily fluids in your "new" mattress.
for some strange reason this post put a very gross picture in my brain. kind makes me wanna sleep on the floor:)