Apple to Force Advertsing with iAds

Sonny Burnett

Bronze
Mar 8, 2010
iPhone OS 4.0 will have built in advertising. Just what we needed right?

They are going to embed the advertising right into the apps. According to Jobs this will change the landscape of advertising and give the user a better experience.

I say it will make it harder for the user to get away from it. If someone pays for an app do they really want advertising built into it? I can see it for free apps but for purchased ones?

Apple will make sure that we never get away from clicks!

Everything Looks Great Over Here

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Yeah, what if I'm opening Keynote to do a presentation and some silly ad starts playing on the big screen or I am in a hurry (always) to get some info about something but am forced to watch an ad or tap 2-3 times to ignore it? I already hate when I want to watch a news clip and there is like a 20-30 second commercial for me before the clip!

sracer

Bronze
Mar 26, 2010
iPhone OS 4.0 will have built in advertising. Just what we needed right?

They are going to embed the advertising right into the apps. According to Jobs this will change the landscape of advertising and give the user a better experience.

I say it will make it harder for the user to get away from it. If someone pays for an app do they really want advertising built into it? I can see it for free apps but for purchased ones?

Apple will make sure that we never get away from clicks!

Everything Looks Great Over Here
During the presentation, Jobs said that ads were a way for developers to offer their apps for free while receiving some revenue. The "forced ads" are at the discretion of the developer. I suspect that there will be 2 versions available for many apps... a free version with ads, a for-pay version without.

In the end, we the consumer will have the final say in the matter.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
They are just changing the way ads are viewed. Developers can't release apps for free or at low costs without revenue from advertising. The ads are going to be there one way or another. At least this way they won't take you out of the app and into Safari. I think you are assuming that the apps that don't have ads now will have them after 4.0 is released and I don't think that's the case. Personally, I don't see this as a bad thing.

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
They are just changing the way ads are viewed. Developers can't release apps for free or at low costs without revenue from advertising. The ads are going to be there one way or another. At least this way they won't take you out of the app and into Safari. I think you are assuming that the apps that don't have ads now will have them after 4.0 is released and I don't think that's the case. Personally, I don't see this as a bad thing.
Best explaination yet. Thanks I can live with that!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If the Ad takes you into Safari, then Apple doesn't get any $$ for it!
Well, keep in mind that other ad networks aren't passing along 100%. Application sales and in-app purchases are 70/30, but I'm betting the other ad networks are pricing similar to Apple's 60/40 iAd split.

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
This is something that I'll just have to wait and see how it is before I can really comment on it. In theory its nice for developers and for users if they actually want to go to the ad. In reality though it could be pretty crappy.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
People are making this out to be some kind of shove it down your throat ad model. It's not like that. You can see how it looks in the keynote. Just like any other ad up until you click on it. That's where the differences start. All Apple has done is made it an API tailored to a mini browser like many apps are pulling up now instead of hopping over into safari. They're not going to be like "your app must show ads x times a minute and they're gonna take over the screen."

monkeysrock0622

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Well, keep in mind that other ad networks aren't passing along 100%. Application sales and in-app purchases are 70/30, but I'm betting the other ad networks are pricing similar to Apple's 60/40 iAd split.
Im pretty sure they said the 60/40 was industry standard so its nothing different than any other ad service they could have used.

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Im pretty sure they said the 60/40 was industry standard so its nothing different than any other ad service they could have used.
I'm assuming his will make it much easier for the developer to get adds into their apps. I'm no developer, so I'm not sure, but it just SEEMS like it'd be easier if there was one, easy, standard source for getting ads in your app.

I think everyone just hates advertisements so much they think any advancing in the implementation of it is bad. Ads are great guys, they let us exchange our attention for services we want, instead of exchanging our money.