Apps syncing with iPhone

EBodin4

May 31, 2007
Will the phone use bluetooth to do the sync?

Scientific American had an article on bluetooth security issues. It mentioned that if you were in range of someone wanting to hack into your phone they could get access to your data among other activities.
I'm sure that you will be able to sync using Bluetooth. Mac's come with bluetooth already so why would they change that with a phone. Have a great day!
EBodin4

EBodin4

May 31, 2007
Will the phone use bluetooth to do the sync?

Scientific American had an article on bluetooth security issues. It mentioned that if you were in range of someone wanting to hack into your phone they could get access to your data among other activities.
iPhone automatically syncs all your contacts from a PC, Mac, or Internet service. And it lets you select and listen to voicemail messages in whatever order you want — just like email.

mg1994gsr

Jun 3, 2007
I'm still learning about the iPhone but are there any apps besides iCal that the iPhone will work with on a mac? Is there any chance 3rd party developers will be able to build other software that syncs with the iPhone?
I am a new member, but have been reading your posts for some time now. I am a medical professional and would love for some of the references that are out there to be available on the iPhone. I think this would be a great businesss oportinity for them. They should offer the programs for purchase and download via iTunes. It could be a big money maker for them.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I am a new member, but have been reading your posts for some time now. I am a medical professional and would love for some of the references that are out there to be available on the iPhone. I think this would be a great businesss oportinity for them. They should offer the programs for purchase and download via iTunes. It could be a big money maker for them.
Good idea! And welcome to the jungle! :)

mg1994gsr

Jun 3, 2007
Good idea! And welcome to the jungle! :)
Thanks! I can't believe Apple hasn't thought of this vast marketing idea. I should be making the big bucks! this would solve everyones concerns! Thanks for the warm welcome!

MsErica

Jun 5, 2007
Syncing

I want the iPhone primarily to sync my info from my macbook address book and ical. It may sound crazy to pay $600 just for this, but I have so far been unable to find any phone which meets my strict requirements.

Anyone know if the iPhone will:

--Sync not only the contacts but also the notes that go with them? So if in my mac address book I have a note with directions to someone's house, or a comment not to call before 3 p.m., it will be transferred to my phone? A couple of syncing programs I've tried don't include notes which is a dealbreaker for me.

--Sync your "smart groups" on your mac address book? This is key for me as I have more than 500 contacts and if I can't remember someone's name I need to filter on the phone for the type of person. For example, all contractors working on my house have one category, another for restaurants etc.

--Gives you alerts from ical. So if you programmed an alert for 2 days prior to an appointment, the phone will alarm.

All of these things are currently done beautifully in a compact flip phone by my Samsung i600 but I need to maintain a windows PC for this because it uses activesync. I'd rather use all Mac software on my Macbook!

Erica

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I used iSync with my SE T610 and it did all of this seamlessly. I think it even included the notes from contact info, like the iPod does. I'm sure it will do all of this and much more. :)

narniaexpert

May 31, 2007
I used iSync with my SE T610 and it did all of this seamlessly. I think it even included the notes from contact info, like the iPod does. I'm sure it will do all of this and much more. :)
So far no but the steve is hinting that the iPhone will open up to third parties sometime in the fall.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
I'm still learning about the iPhone but are there any apps besides iCal that the iPhone will work with on a mac? Is there any chance 3rd party developers will be able to build other software that syncs with the iPhone?
i'm not a guru either fute- but i am most certain of this...seeing that the iPhone is running osX, it should run most of the programs that you see on the desktop...like the ofc for mac...man they better have that...but is that considered a 3rd party app?

Guest 2

Jun 23, 2007
Compose in Excel & Word?

Just watched the Apple "guided tour" video at http://www.apple.com/iphone/usingiPhone/guidedtour.html . It says you can read email attachments that are Excel and Word.

Does anyone know if you will be able to COMPOSE in Excel and Word? I guess I was dreaming when I thought you'd be able to store a couple work folders and use this like a limited version of a laptop.

mg1994gsr

Jun 3, 2007
Just watched the Apple "guided tour" video at http://www.apple.com/iphone/usingiPhone/guidedtour.html . It says you can read email attachments that are Excel and Word.

Does anyone know if you will be able to COMPOSE in Excel and Word? I guess I was dreaming when I thought you'd be able to store a couple work folders and use this like a limited version of a laptop.
That would be nice, but we are not their target customer. They are not accommodating the businesss professional from what I understand. they are releasing a device for "entertainment" which aparently does not satisfy our professional needs. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know. Until then I will have to stick with my Pocket PC or cary two devices, which I really do not want to do.