Are people getting these reception issues?

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
So far, I only notice any "visual" change in connectivity on my WiFi bars (decreases by 1) when holding it by the sides (like I usually do). I have turned off WiFi, and tried to replicate with just 3G....I still can not get the bars to go down when I hold the phone.

The "visual" change in bars on WiFi does not seem to lead to a change in performance...at least not one I can tell (which I assume backs up their claim it is software - 3G had a very similar "connectivity" issue (not necessary related to how you held the phone) that improved with a patch). I think this is a non issue overall for the vast majority of users - but will be the soap box for many who just need something to complain about. I am not saying this isn't a real issue of concern - it is, but I am pretty certain the overall impact will be slim. There are already works arounds for those experiencing the issue (case, bumpers, masking tape (brilliant),etc). I see a patch fixing this, as a patch significantly helped the 3G connectivity after it's launch....I may be wrong, but what else is new.

As with any new launch, there is always somthing that will go wrong. No product is ever perfect. I personally do not see any major issues (a la 3G launch) to harp on at this time. Some pictures seemed more washed out or darker on iPhone 4 versus 3G (that were taken with the 3G camera). But, that's for another thread.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
You know what...screw it.

As soon as all the hysteria dies down I'm getting an iPhone 4. I'll get one of those $5 billion dollar bumper cases (and pay for it myself) and try the thing out. If I can't deal with it I'll return it and get myself a 3GS. There I said it.

My 3G needs to be replaced so might as well jump in and figure this out. I know we all want the perfect thing. I know Apple seems to have dropped the ball but if anybody thinks Apple is going to recall these things and redesign it from the ground up -- forget it. That isn't going to happen. Some sort of fix seems unlikely in light of the hardware design but then who knows. If the bumper case alleviates the problem then Yahooooooooooooo.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I'm conflicted by this whole thing in that I can get the iPhone 4 at discount plus $18 but I currently have a GS running iOS and can easier live with it until later when a 4.x version comes out. Fortunately for me, I do not have any family or friends who have the new phone to make me feel envy ... yet.

I can add one observation though. For my birthday, a friend gave me a belt clip case that holds my phone horizontally. Driving around in my car, I could see my phone's status on the dashboard. The signal would fluctuate and eventually disappear to "no service" every time. Even taking the phone out of the case, I'd have to power cycle or reset the phone to get back functionality. I never saw this problem if I didn't use the case. My regular belt loop case holds the phone vertically; the same orientation if placed in my pants pocket. I don't know what this means. It's just offered for your consideration for what it might be worth.

YMMV

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
This. Considering the 3G and 3GS apparently had similar issues when the phone was held certain ways, it is what it is. Personally, it's a moot point for me as I was always going to put a case on my phone.

But Job's really was being an insensitive jerk about it. How about a more tactful response for people that just dumped 2-300 dollars on your company.

All I know is sure, the device has a signal issue. My question is: If we started trying this "wrap around" test with a lot of cell phones how many would have similar problems? (I'm looking at YOU, Nexus One).

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
You know, the debate about whether or not Apple should be doing something is going to rage forever and a day, but the only thing I have a problem with is that there should have been SOME sort of indication that this might be a problem. I am sure that they would have sold just as many regardless. Making a phone with such a huge flaw is a bit retarded. Granted, the phone is BEAUTIFUL, but they could have done something different, or even add one more section to the frame that would be a "dead-spot" between the bottom piece and the antenna on the left side instead of putting the seam exactly where it would rest against your palm when holding it.

That being said, my particular problem seems to be a little be more than what most people are experiencing. I can lay my phone on my desk at work and watch the signal disappear and then slowly come back without me touching it. I have also dropped a lot of calls on that first day. Since then I have done the SIM eject reset and things have improved somewhat, but I still have weird problems, so I will be keeping my Genius Bar appointment on Sunday afternoon. Do I think that they will be able to solve the problem? Not really. But if they can even see just a little of what I have been dealing with, and then run diagnostics on it, maybe they can figure out whats happening.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
You know what...screw it.

As soon as all the hysteria dies down I'm getting an iPhone 4. I'll get one of those $5 billion dollar bumper cases (and pay for it myself) and try the thing out. If I can't deal with it I'll return it and get myself a 3GS. There I said it.

My 3G needs to be replaced so might as well jump in and figure this out. I know we all want the perfect thing. I know Apple seems to have dropped the ball but if anybody thinks Apple is going to recall these things and redesign it from the ground up -- forget it. That isn't going to happen. Some sort of fix seems unlikely in light of the hardware design but then who knows. If the bumper case alleviates the problem then Yahooooooooooooo.
Wait, I'm having buyers remorse *already* :)dft011:wicked_smile) and I'm still thinkning of an August buy date.

Maybe the way to go is upgrade my 3G to 3GS and get iOS4 and wait until iPhone 5. Wonder what major FUBAR there will be with that release?

Oh....help me. What should I do? Dayum.

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I used my phone yesterday making quite a few phone calls, and I did not receive one dropped call. I did notice my bars going down, but it never "lost service".

I just hope Apple can release a software update to alleviate the issues people are experiencing. And I agree w/ those who stated it before: I am not returning my iPhone 4.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
I used my phone yesterday making quite a few phone calls, and I did not receive one dropped call. I did notice my bars going down, but it never "lost service".

I just hope Apple can release a software update to alleviate the issues people are experiencing. And I agree w/ those who stated it before: I am not returning my iPhone 4.
You didn't get the memo? This is NOT a software issue.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
You didn't get the memo? This is NOT a software issue.
While I agree that the antenna bridging is not a software issue, I do believe that there is still a underlying problem (at least with mine) with losing signal without touching my phone, and it's getting pretty warm and flying through the battery trying to find a better signal (averaging about 10% or more usage per hour.) That IS a software problem reminiscent of the problems that the 3G had shortly after it's release.

BTW, I have a hard "gel" case for the 3G/3Gs that I tried on the iPhone 4 to avoid touching the antenna area. It actually degraded the signal by an average of 2 bars. I can't seem to win at the moment. LOL

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
While I agree that the antenna bridging is not a software issue, I do believe that there is still a underlying problem (at least with mine) with losing signal without touching my phone, and it's getting pretty warm and flying through the battery trying to find a better signal (averaging about 10% or more usage per hour.) That IS a software problem reminiscent of the problems that the 3G had shortly after it's release.

BTW, I have a hard "gel" case for the 3G/3Gs that I tried on the iPhone 4 to avoid touching the antenna area. It actually degraded the signal by an average of 2 bars. I can't seem to win at the moment. LOL
Harsh Hawk.

This is really a big bummer for Apple and US. Just don't even know what to do about it. Maybe a 3GS is in my immediate future. That kinda sucks. Gonna wait and see what the masses are saying in a week or so. Thanks for the input.

imotionb18

Bronze
Jun 15, 2010
Houston, Tx
I was really disappointed with Apples comment on the reception issue. I would have been okay with "we are aware of the issue and are working to correct it" I don't think "just don't hold the phone that way" or "buy a case" is a satisfactory solution. If they bumper cases fix the issue then they should send one free to anyone that ordered a phone. Personally I have noticed the reception issue but it has not effect my calls at all so far.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Maybe the genius bar can shed some light on the subject. They may have some new information that will help us all. I do agree that your problem seems to be worse than the described issue. Let us know how it goes Hawk.

Caliphone

Bronze
Aug 7, 2008
Bakersfield

My signal is very erratic also, even just sitting on my desk. Like the 3G was, before the software fix, so hopefully that issue is just software.
I also tried an old V1 gel (silicone?) case, but I think silicone is conductive just like skin so it wasn't much help. I have a leather slide-in case from the 3Gs that works for now with (rubber?) bumpers on their way. I use a case anyways, but shouldn't HAVE to. Hopefully when the dust settles the bumpers will be free.

I own all previous versions, but have never tried to have one on launch day before this. Next time I think I will go back to the "wait and see if people on iCafe say it's worth it" method!

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Although my bars do go up and down randomly, I'm not able to control at will when they go up and down. Ironically, I don't make a lot of calls with my iPhone.

SikPup

Bronze
Jun 26, 2009
Hopewell Junction, NY
i just got off the phone with Apple. they escalated me to a supervisor. Everyone was very nice, but had no solution. they said that they are aware, and that they need to take in as much info as possible and get it to the engineers. The more people that call Apple instead of just complaining will only lend to Apple having to do something. Besides I wanted my info with them and my problem registered.
They said they are not recommending anyone buy a case or a bumper because they are getting mixed reports that it is a fix, and does not want anyone spending more money and it may not work. (um credit me for the bumper I ordered and it wont cost me a dime to try the "fix")