AT&T 3G Upgrades Degrades 2G

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I was wondering why I started getting stronger 3G signal everywhere I went. I used to get 0 3G bars in my house. Now I'm constantly on 4-5 bars of 3G.

YvilKittyInSpace

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
I was wondering why I started getting stronger 3G signal everywhere I went. I used to get 0 3G bars in my house. Now I'm constantly on 4-5 bars of 3G.
Yes this would be why. I noticed over the past month that I can now get 3G in my basement. I couldn't do that last July when I bought my phone.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
If you think about it, what AT&T is doing is unfair to 3G phone owners as well. Say you're in an area that still doesn't have 3G. Then your phone switches to EDGE so you can still use your phone. If AT&T is doing what they're doing to their 2G networks, you won't have any reception at all.

YvilKittyInSpace

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
If you think about it, what AT&T is doing is unfair to 3G phone owners as well. Say you're in an area that still doesn't have 3G. Then your phone switches to EDGE so you can still use your phone. If AT&T is doing what they're doing to their 2G networks, you won't have any reception at all.
Think carefuly about what you posted here. If an area doesn't have 3G, how will they be able to downgrade the 2G? It won't happen in those areas till they have 3G established.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
When I first read your post sav I was like great WTF am I gonna do know. I think Apple would be the only people to do that If they could.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
by the way... this makes me wonder if the majority of iPhone 3G owners even NEED 3G (in fact, if they even know the difference). ATT/Apple seem to be forcing 3G onto people that i doubt even need it, and in the end, are struggling to provide the service... meanwhile current customers LOSE service. very nice.

Warbrain

Jan 4, 2009
Explains why I've seen more GPRS around my home...

Seems especially ridiculous after the outage last week. I suspect we'll be seeing more and more of those as this shift occurs...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
My 3G has certainly increased at my house. I remember back in July when it was released I didn't quite have 3G service in my bedroom but now I have 5 bars of full 3G service.

Warbrain

Jan 4, 2009
My 3G has certainly increased at my house. I remember back in July when it was released I didn't quite have 3G service in my bedroom but now I have 5 bars of full 3G service.
They have been improving their 3G network before this announcement so don't pin in all on this.