AT&T doubles data plan in limited-time promo

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Don't worry, it only applies to the actual phone line, not the data plan or any other features. 23% of $15 is $3.45.
My AT&T FAN discount has always covered 24% of everything except taxes and fees. Now it will be everything except taxes, fees and hardware since I'm on Next. Verizon's discount only covers the phone line, which is one of the reasons I've stuck with AT&T.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
huh, maybe I'm wrong then. that's the way it was explained to me years ago, maybe it changed and I never noticed.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
huh, maybe I'm wrong then. that's the way it was explained to me years ago, maybe it changed and I never noticed.
The percentage varies from company to company and what they cover might as well, but I'm pretty sure everyone with a FAN discount gets the discount on everything except taxes, fees and Next hardware. I was saving $20.40 every month on a single plan with AT&T for the past several years. Not bad. I'll get my first bill through Next tomorrow and find out how much I'll be saving now that my plan has changed.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
You can double your 10gb data plan to 20gb and keep the 10gb pricing if you speak with the retention department and tell them the Sprint promo 20gb for $100 is really attractive and you wanted to see if AT&T can do something to possibly match it. Many are reporting AT&T Retention is doing this. Do not speak with customer service. You have to speak with Retention.

ricks2gtouch

Zealot
Silver
Feb 20, 2009
Florida
You can double your 10gb data plan to 20gb and keep the 10gb pricing if you speak with the retention department and tell them the Sprint promo 20gb for $100 is really attractive and you wanted to see if AT&T can do something to possibly match it. Many are reporting AT&T Retention is doing this. Do not speak with customer service. You have to speak with Retention.
I did this this morning, the retentions rep changed it without question. However he said it would not show up in my account until my new billing cycle which starts tomorrow. I meant to post here but I got busy and forgot. Sorry.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
So when I saw these last two posts, I quickly googled this. I found a couple of formus which were mentioning the same promotion. One even said you could do it through the AT&T chat online. I went online and start a chat session and the customer service rep told me she was going to give me great service. I explain what I was hoping to do and she told me that she knew I would have to call the 800 number to see about that. I basically said, so much for the great service you told me you were going to give me. I did call the 800 number took option zero, followed by option three. Felicia did give me great customer service and change my plan from 10 GB to 20 GBwith no change in the price. Not only that, I had just checked my plan and I don't so far used 3 1/2 gigs this month. I checked my account to the AT&T app about 10 minutes after my phone call, and it is now showing that I've only used 108 MB of my 20 GB. So it looks like that with about 20 days left in my billing cycle I now have one gig per day to use. My daughter should be happy.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I've been driving between cities a lot this month, so I've been doing a ton of music streaming. My GF and I are now up to 6.1GB's of data with 10 days left to go, so it's going to be close to 10GB's at this rate. I'm gonna have to try this.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
Some people have had to threaten to cancel their service or mention a competing plan from Sprint or T-Mobile. I simply asked to be doubled.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
They've treated me well in the past without having to resort to empty threats. I think the key is just to be nice and not get a rep who's an *******.

Reactions: Bennyboy

ricks2gtouch

Zealot
Silver
Feb 20, 2009
Florida
Some people have had to threaten to cancel their service or mention a competing plan from Sprint or T-Mobile. I simply asked to be doubled.
I am following a thread on slickdeals about the 10 to 20 double deal. Very few of them have had any trouble getting the deal when they speak with the retentions department.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
So how do you get the retention department? I would welcome doubling my current data plan but it's not worth it to go to the 15/30gb plan.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
So I called 800.331.0500 took option zero, followed by option three, and spoke to the rep that answered the phone. When I told her I wanted to double my 10gb plan she asked me if I was considering other carriers. I told her Sprint had a 20GB plan that looked pretty attractive and she changed my plan without any further questions, the upgrade takes effect at my next billing cycle (3 days from now).

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
So I called 800.331.0500 took option zero, followed by option three, and spoke to the rep that answered the phone. When I told her I wanted to double my 10gb plan she asked me if I was considering other carriers. I told her Sprint had a 20GB plan that looked pretty attractive and she changed my plan without any further questions, the upgrade takes effect at my next billing cycle (3 days from now).
This was the same thing I did, except when Felicia answered, I simply told her I wanted to take part in the Double your Data promotion. She tapped a few keys and told me it was done and that as long as I had my AT&T Service, I would be able to keep this much data for this price.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
weird, I tried it earlier today that way and was turned down immediately. Maybe I'll try again sometime.