AT&T Pricing Update

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Just got off the phone with AT&T.

I am NOT eligible for the upgrade solely because my bill BEFORE taxes is $84/mo. With taxes it comes to $99, but that doesn't matter.

The only people who are eligible for this new upgrade are:

1. People who pay at least $99/mo BEFORE taxes.
2. People with accounts in good standing.
3. People who bought the iPhone in July, August, September

Please note, I have 2 of the 3 criteria. That doesn't matter. What it comes down to is how much money you give AT&T.

I've registered a complaint. If this effects you, I urge you to do the same. No where in any of the stuff I have read does it say your bill has to be a minimum. I'm missing out on the upgrade for $15.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I've registered a complaint. If this effects you, I urge you to do the same. No where in any of the stuff I have read does it say your bill has to be a minimum. I'm missing out on the upgrade for $15.
it says in the release if you were eligible for an upgrade in July, august or September of this year, they will give you full subsidy on the new phone, as of today. Pretty clear you were not eligible in one of those months.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
it says in the release if you were eligible for an upgrade in July, august or September of this year, they will give you full subsidy on the new phone, as of today. Pretty clear you were not eligible in one of those months.
But see....that's my point...That's not the criteria.

I just listed the criteria. So it doesn't matter WHAT the release says.

You are eligible if you meet 3/3 criteria.

1. You pay $99/mo BEFORE taxes
2. Your account is in good standing.
3. You BOUGHT the iPhone in July, August, September.

Thanks again for reading. :)

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
It's the same thing. In order to have been eligible for a discounted phone in July, August or September...and have purchased a 3G in July, August or September you have to spend 99 dollars on your line. That is the only way to have eligibility at the 12 month mark.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
It's the same thing. In order to have been eligible for a discounted phone in July, August or September...and have purchased a 3G in July, August or September you have to spend 99 dollars on your line. That is the only way to have eligibility at the 12 month mark.
BUT...that's not entirely true. As there are people here who spend that much and are not eligible until December. Explain that? How does AT&T choose?

They "volunteered" to let me upgrade my plan (pay more money) so that I would be eligible. Big of them, right?

The bottom line is, nothing matters EXCEPT how much you give AT&T. If this doesn't get resolved, I can tell you I will not be upgrading. I will be waiting until 2010 when my contract expires and hoping the iPhone is on another network with much better service.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
BUT...that's not entirely true. As there are people here who spend that much and are not eligible until December. Explain that? How does AT&T choose?

They "volunteered" to let me upgrade my plan (pay more money) so that I would be eligible. Big of them, right?

The bottom line is, nothing matters EXCEPT how much you give AT&T. If this doesn't get resolved, I can tell you I will not be upgrading. I will be waiting until 2010 when my contract expires and hoping the iPhone is on another network with much better service.
I don't disagree with a lot of what your saying, but the way it works is it is not the bill, it's what is billed to the line of service. I pay 200 per month for 5 lines of service, my line until this past feb. Was 95 dollars, I was at 18 months eligibility. In feb. I added family texting and now I'm over 100 so now I'm at 12 months. All my other lines are at 20 mo the because the are less than 69 dollars each. So you can spen more than 99, but if it's not billed to one line...your screwed. I wish every one that bought a 3g was eligible tomorrow, but AT&T has to draw the line somewhere.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I don't disagree with a lot of what your saying, but the way it works is it is not the bill, it's what is billed to the line of service. I pay 200 per month for 5 lines of service, my line until this past feb. Was 95 dollars, I was at 18 months eligibility. In feb. I added family texting and now I'm over 100 so now I'm at 12 months. All my other lines are at 20 mo the because the are less than 69 dollars each. So you can spen more than 99, but if it's not billed to one line...your screwed. I wish every one that bought a 3g was eligible tomorrow, but AT&T has to draw the line somewhere.
But I find this ridiculous. I'm single and live alone. So because I don't NEED all that extra stuff, I'm not eligible. Even though I'm a loyal customer and pay my bill in full every month? I'm not gonna pay money for stuff I don't need.

To me, you can't make people who pay more eligible and people who are $15 off the mark not eligible. That's just wrong. I'm only a valued customer to AT&T based on how much I spend. End of story.

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
But I find this ridiculous. I'm single and live alone. So because I don't NEED all that extra stuff, I'm not eligible. Even though I'm a loyal customer and pay my bill in full every month? I'm not gonna pay money for stuff I don't need.

To me, you can't make people who pay more eligible and people who are $15 off the mark not eligible. That's just wrong. I'm only a valued customer to AT&T based on how much I spend. End of story.
Does it suck? Yes but last time I checked AT&T was running a businesss. I'm in a similar situation as you. I am single and had the V1 and 3G both on launch days. I then added a line in December for my younger sister. However, like a poster above said the main charges are on the second line now not the first. Each line comes in at under 100 but what can you do?

Your loyalty only goes as far as your next payment to AT&T.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I am in the same boat. I pay $65 a month because of a 25% FAN discount. Its really disappointing, but I can't complain too much. No other company offers upgrades within a year. My guess is they will loosen their policy again at the end of summer when sales slow down. I may just wait for the iPhone with the dual core processers to come out hopefully next year

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Whats a 25% FAN discount?
From a Howard Forums wiki:

What is a FAN? FAN stands for Foundation Account Number. A FAN is when a company or school has an agreement with AT&T to provide a discount to that company's employees or that school's students. A typical FAN discount will be a % off per month on the bill, % off on the cost of a phone, and % off on accessories. To see if you qualify for a FAN discount, go to AT&T's Business Portal and enter your work or school email address. If you qualify, you'll get an email from AT&T with a link in it to attach the FAN to your account.​

JSchu22

Jul 3, 2007
The problem is there are current customers that meet the criteria (yes, even the $100/month for PER line) and still are classified as not being eligible until December. I know this because I am one.

- I purchased the 3G iPhone in July of last year.
- I spend in excess of $100/month (I've actually spent over $1700 in 10 months).
- My account is in good standing.

AT&T: "You're not eligible for an upgrade until December of 2009, so no yesterday's announcement does not pertain to you because you are not eligible for your upgrade in July, August or September."

It's clear that AT&T is allowing those that were/are eligible after 12 months to get the lowest pricing, but how do they determine who goes into the 12 month group versus the 18 month one? I don't want special treatment, a free phone or anything I am not entitled to. I just want a straight answer and not "well, it's probably..." or "I think...".

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
AT&T is reeeeally throwing it's customers a bone here. I don't blame them for having pretty strict eligibility requirements for the special treatment, considering they're relaxing their standard eligibility requirements to begin with.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
The problem is there are current customers that meet the criteria (yes, even the $100/month for PER line) and still are classified as not being eligible until December. I know this because I am one.

- I purchased the 3G iPhone in July of last year.
- I spend in excess of $100/month (I've actually spent over $1700 in 10 months).
- My account is in good standing.

AT&T: "You're not eligible for an upgrade until December of 2009, so no yesterday's announcement does not pertain to you because you are not eligible for your upgrade in July, August or September."

It's clear that AT&T is allowing those that were/are eligible after 12 months to get the lowest pricing, but how do they determine who goes into the 12 month group versus the 18 month one? I don't want special treatment, a free phone or anything I am not entitled to. I just want a straight answer and not "well, it's probably..." or "I think...".
Are you paying $100 a month before or after taxes? Apparently that makes a difference. I am in the same boat as you, but have to wait until March.