AT&T saying they are not bumping contracts

Mthomas184

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
But either way, a friend even got his upgrade changed and he had a 4s. When you call, tell them that you are going to Verizon if they don't move it up and they will. Thats exactly what both of us did and it worked. But like I said, it has to be the cancellation department.

Mthomas184

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
not necessarily, last year it wasn't the cancellation department that moved me 4 months. Now everyone will call and try to cancel LOL
It all depends on whether or not the person you get on the phone will budge. I had to call 3 or 4 times

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
OK calling the dissconnect line
I do have 1 line open but really ike my other moved (October 4th really?)
Of course I got unusually call volume and already am on a 10 minute hold already let's see how long it will take

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
after 38 minutes wait I got Kim on the phone who knew nothing
I actually asked her if she was new and she said yes Then I told her AT&T needs to train the staff better and I should be working there! Since I am telling her all the facts and she is the one going to confirm what I say with her supervisor wasting more of my time?
Anyway if I was porting my numbers she said it is done the minute I pre order I told her to ask someone if that is true ? Anyone knows?
It is $135 ETF or $250 for upgrade until October 4th
my other line is $215 ETF
my 3rd is done
$350 get's me out of AT&T

cheekymeeko

Bronze
Sep 6, 2012
I called AT&T yesterday and they moved my upgrade for me. My contract wasn't up until June 2013 and I wasn't eligible until January 2013 for an upgrade but I talked to the cancellation department. For anyone trying, the normal customer service cant move upgrades but the cancellation department can. So now im good to go to preorder so give that a try. GOOD LUCK!
Oh okay this is good to know. I think it's partially because they don't want to lose customers over this.

FuelieNova

Contributor
Silver
Aug 3, 2008
I think it's more than just calling to disconnect. They are probably looking at how long you have been with them, amount of your monthly bill etc.

Tom

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I think it's more than just calling to disconnect. They are probably looking at how long you have been with them, amount of your monthly bill etc.

Tom
they do love automatic pay or paperless whatever it's called. Been "valued" since then.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011

Tom
well then
I been with Bellsouth/Cingular/AT&T since 1993 and I never missed a payment actually I pay 1 month ahead ! Already paid October ! So if it is auto pay ****YOU
I am not putting some computer in charge of my bills
Anyway I go back and forth about switching carrier
Imay just get a phone nocontract but now LTE phones are not working in germany? I still have to do a bid search on that
I believe they are working just not on LTE ?

JennyBenny

Sep 13, 2012
I just called and the customer service rep, manager, and cancellation department all claimed this policy has been in place for "2 years". Has anyone here tried calling multiple times? Did you just come right out and say "i'm cancelling and going to Verizon?"

Also, they claimed they couldn't do anything because Apple is not letting them bump upgrades (I think this is false).

HELP, please :)

Sweetie

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
US
Just got off the phone with 3 different reps, 1 from customer service and 2 from cancellation dept. No luck at all! They all say AT&T's policy this year with upgrade is NOT to bump any contracts for upgrade to new iPhone. Last lady told me "mam can't you see the differance this year is that we are no longer the only company that sells the iPhone?" I said EXACTLY and to me that would seem to be the reason you all would be trying to HOLD on to the customers and make them happy! Well guess I'll be taking the long way around to getting the iPhone 5 and just add a line to my account! :(:confused:

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Did any of you actually tried to at least get a discount on the 250? If you sell the 4S for 400 bucks it would only cost you around $50 to $100. Ive said it before and I'll say again, threatening them is not a good way to get what you want.

Sweetie

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
US
Sharunda, Yeah I guess it is, just can't believe after all these years of doing it they pick now to stop but oh well! ONWARD AND UPWARD TO THE iPhone5, by any means necessary! LOL

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I just talked to an ATT customer service rep, who said maybe on the early upgrade, and to call back after 3 am when the 5 is officially released for preorder. I get up at 4 am, so I'm gonna call back then.

Mthomas184

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Im assuming it all depends on who you get. I still have the voicemail on my phone from the ATT Rep and she said "As per our conversation yesterday, I went ahead and moved your upgrade date so that on Friday you can preorder the iPhone 5." When I originally called, they moved it and said that I could upgrade to any phone OTHER than an iPhone. When I asked her why she said it was Apples policy and I told her shes lying. Apple doesn't care if they move it or not! ATT just doesn't wanna lose money but keep trying....it'll work out for u!

FuelieNova

Contributor
Silver
Aug 3, 2008
Well I was very polite and have also been with them for 20 plus years, they negotiated with me and now left a message that I will get the full upgrade. I think it is totally on the person you get, calm negioating skills and not giving an ultimatum.
I have to say, the person I got is what kept me with AT&T. I was truly ready to pull the trigger and jump to Verizon.

Mthomas184

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Well I was very polite and have also been with them for 20 plus years, they negotiated with me and now left a message that I will get the full upgrade. I think it is totally on the person you get, calm negioating skills and not giving an ultimatum.
I have to say, the person I got is what kept me with AT&T. I was truly ready to pull the trigger and jump to Verizon.
As was I. Thats the key. Be VERY polite when you talk to them. i was ready to jump ship too but then they moved my upgrade so now I can keep my unlimited! only thing that sucks is theres no LTE in Pittsburgh yet :-(

JennyBenny

Sep 13, 2012
As was I. Thats the key. Be VERY polite when you talk to them. i was ready to jump ship too but then they moved my upgrade so now I can keep my unlimited! only thing that sucks is theres no LTE in Pittsburgh yet :-(
What exactly did you say? I tried being very polite, but the person I got was somewhat rude, asking me why exactly I could not wait until December. I'm thinking of calling back and seeing if I can get someone else.