AT&T screwed 3G owners

magnum man

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
They say we can't upgrade until we are eligible which was 7/19 for me, so I was prepared to wait. Now they say we can upgrade friday. But they made every 3G owner who was not eligilbe miss out on pre-ordering. I hate AT&T more every day. The iPhone is the only reason I stay with them.

Skimball

Bronze
Sep 7, 2008
KC
I was not eligible either but I preordered it at $499.00 anyway. Then a few days ago I got the email that said they are refunding $200.00. I am very happy with how it worked out.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
They say we can't upgrade until we are eligible which was 7/19 for me, so I was prepared to wait. Now they say we can upgrade friday. But they made every 3G owner who was not eligilbe miss out on pre-ordering. I hate AT&T more every day. The iPhone is the only reason I stay with them.
Don't feel bad, my friend. I ordered my upgrade via Apple on the assumption that I would have the device by tomorrow. Sure enough, UPS shows my package in Hong Kong. Kind of far from Frederick, Md. :mad:

magnum man

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
I was not eligible either but I preordered it at $599.00 anyway. Then a few days ago I got the email that said they are refunding $200.00. I am very happy with how it worked out.
Wow, that's cool Skim. I was just gonna wait a month and get it for 299. I wasn't gonna pay double when I could just wait a month. I guess I should've did what you did, but how was I supposed to know?

aknightstale41

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
So existing 3 g owners can get it at 199 and 299? regardless of upgrade status? Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, AT&T screwed 3G owners by making an unprecedented change in their eligibility rules just for 3G owners that will probably happen every year because of the whiners. How inconsiderate of them.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Yeah, AT&T screwed 3G owners by making an unprecedented change in their eligibility rules just for 3G owners that will probably happen every year because of the whiners. How inconsiderate of them.
That takes care of Ma Bell. Now to shift the whiners over to Baby Bell. :p

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
yes I hate companies that are nice enough to bust their own contracts and allow some people to get a new phone day 1. What jerks.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
the truth is they were milking the customers for hundreds of dollars and are trying to save face.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I am really getting sick and tired of these whiners and complainers. It is absurd. You got a freaking subsidy for the 3G because you signed a TWO-YEAR contract. AT&T lets you upgrade after 18 months anyway, so it is only really an 18-month contract. Apple comes out with a new phone every year. So every single time you buy a phone on a subsidy, you are going to be "screwed" 12 months or less later.

I bought the v1 for $399 three months before the 3G came out (even though I had a feeling it would happen, I had to buy a new phone) at a subsidy price of $199. They cut-off the free upgrade to the 3G about two weeks after I bought the phone. Did I complain? No. Because that is what I bought and that is what I signed up for.

Not only did I get an old model, I paid double for it.

Anyone that has a 3G can unlock/jailbreak and sell their phone online, buy the 3GS and either break even, pay LESS or at least not pay any more than the $199 that everyone else is paying. Does this take a little more leg work? Sure. But you signed a TWO YEAR contract, so YOU are the one trying to find a loop hole.

AT&T did not screw anyone in THIS regard. If this was not the iPhone and was just a Motorola Startrac (if that is what it was called, I forget), this would be a non-issue. But because it is such a high-demand thing, people are getting pissy.

ENOUGH ALREADY. So many iPhone users feel this sense of entitlement to always be able to get the new phone for the subsidy price - it is just ridiculous.

Next year, when a better model comes out, if I decide I have to have it, I will sell this phone and buy the new one. Plain and simple. Or I will find another loophole like buying it on another line in my family plan and switching the SIM cards.

There are too many easy ways to get around this for people to feel "screwed" by AT&T. Let's drop this notion. Sorry for the long rant. Thank you, I rest my case.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I am really getting sick and tired of these whiners and complainers. It is absurd. You got a freaking subsidy for the 3G because you signed a TWO-YEAR contract. AT&T lets you upgrade after 18 months anyway, so it is only really an 18-month contract. Apple comes out with a new phone every year. So every single time you buy a phone on a subsidy, you are going to be "screwed" 12 months or less later.

I bought the v1 for $399 three months before the 3G came out (even though I had a feeling it would happen, I had to buy a new phone) at a subsidy price of $199. They cut-off the free upgrade to the 3G about two weeks after I bought the phone. Did I complain? No. Because that is what I bought and that is what I signed up for.

Not only did I get an old model, I paid double for it.

Anyone that has a 3G can unlock/jailbreak and sell their phone online, buy the 3GS and either break even, pay LESS or at least not pay any more than the $199 that everyone else is paying. Does this take a little more leg work? Sure. But you signed a TWO YEAR contract, so YOU are the one trying to find a loop hole.

AT&T did not screw anyone in THIS regard. If this was not the iPhone and was just a Motorola Startrac (if that is what it was called, I forget), this would be a non-issue. But because it is such a high-demand thing, people are getting pissy.

ENOUGH ALREADY. So many iPhone users feel this sense of entitlement to always be able to get the new phone for the subsidy price - it is just ridiculous.

Next year, when a better model comes out, if I decide I have to have it, I will sell this phone and buy the new one. Plain and simple. Or I will find another loophole like buying it on another line in my family plan and switching the SIM cards.

There are too many easy ways to get around this for people to feel "screwed" by AT&T. Let's drop this notion. Sorry for the long rant. Thank you, I rest my case.
You missed the entire point of this episode. AT&T caving in to a small extent is a very big victory in a marketplace dominated by monopolies. Choice does not exist when specific handsets are tied to specific carriers.

iPhone users are in essense a very large lobbying group. The so-called whiners were actually heard by over-paid executives. Not a complete loss of face. But, the process worked.

If you want something to be sick and tired of is Congressional intervention into the marketplace. Government imposed standards are never a substitute for market-driven ones. A simple google on verizon iPhone shows a large number of bloggers who are interested in seeing the iPhone exclusivity stop. Fear of losing customers is what drove AT&T to make some allowances.

The so-called whiners scored a large number of iPhone owners a victory. I won't forget that.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I didn't miss that point. But you are implying the end justifies the means. Let's see if they do this again next year.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I didn't miss that point. But you are implying the end justifies the means. Let's see if they do this again next year.
I hope they do. I hope Verizon customers get tired of being victimized by crippled phones. I was inadvertently part of the Verizon V710 class action lawsuit where Verizon advertized DUN via BT. Verizon backpedaled, and eventually lost.

I fully anticipate data charges rising, and the era of all you can data going away, especially as LTE becomes reality. The telcos are not out for our best interest. We have to be smart consumers, make the right choices, and make our voices heard.

I find it interesting how Sprint's stock price could be impacted by a few words spoken by the Verizon CEO when he mentioned that the Pre was coming to Verizon.

The power of blogs, the media and the consumer.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Larry, your aim changes depending on the thread. This isn't a victory for the consumer. AT&T is locking you into another 2 years and they'll make out in the end. Weren't you the one who posted a thread warning about this?

This is about having to have the newest thing at the best price as soon as you possibly can. I'm sorry, but I don't see much greater purpose beyond that for the majority of the whining that's been going on as of late.

sharperiPhone

Jun 17, 2009
how could a person who owns a 3g be eligible for an upgrade in july august or september? Im so confused cause I just texted the number to find out if I was eligible and I wasn't.... so what exatly has to happen for me to get that damn upgrade price?

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Larry, your aim changes depending on the thread. This isn't a victory for the consumer. AT&T is locking you into another 2 years and they'll make out in the end. Weren't you the one who posted a thread warning about this?

This is about having to have the newest thing at the best price as soon as you possibly can. I'm sorry, but I don't see much greater purpose beyond that for the majority of the whining that's been going on as of late.
Exactly.....

magnum man

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
how could a person who owns a 3g be eligible for an upgrade in july august or september? Im so confused cause I just texted the number to find out if I was eligible and I wasn't.... so what exatly has to happen for me to get that damn upgrade price?
If your bill is over $99 you don't have to wait a full 2 years