Average Activation Time in the Southeast?

iPhoneObsessed

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS
www.myspace.com
HOLY HELL I'M SO GLAD I DIDN'T GO TO SLEEP YET.

It took about 6.5 hours, but it's done!

I haven't even pressed any menu buttons yet I wanted you all to know about this since no one has really updated.
I got an email from them, and it said to connect your iPhone to the comp, and if it's already connected 'click here'. Well the click here link was not a link. and I swear I was tearing up again. But, I just undid the usb cable, then put it back in and my iPhone activated all by it's little self and i'm so happy.

sorry you guys... I have to go! lol.

again, just so you all know..

hattiesburg ms
6.5 hour wait (and not counting anymore!)
Existing customer

YAYYAYAYAYAYAY.

awesker3

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007

I haven't even pressed any menu buttons yet I wanted you all to know about this since no one has really updated.
I got an email from them, and it said to connect your iPhone to the comp, and if it's already connected 'click here'. Well the click here link was not a link. and I swear I was tearing up again. But, I just undid the usb cable, then put it back in and my iPhone activated all by it's little self and i'm so happy.

hattiesburg ms
Existing customer

YAYYAYAYAYAYAY.

CONGRATULATIONS...........I just wanted to confirm the link in the email was NOT a link? I am an existing customer also, and am going on 3 and a half hours.

I can't actually get the email because my iTunes email address has long since been removed.

Do you have anymore information? I am glad it finally activated for you.

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007

hattiesburg ms
Existing customer

YAYYAYAYAYAYAY.

:::: CRY ::::

Whatever. Atleast I hope mine will be working in the morning. I have somethin to look forward to.

iPhoneObsessed

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS
www.myspace.com
CONGRATULATIONS...........I just wanted to confirm the link in the email was NOT a link? I am an existing customer also, and am going on 3 and a half hours.

I can't actually get the email because my iTunes email address has long since been removed.

Do you have anymore information? I am glad it finally activated for you.

yes, it was supposed to be a link but I couldn't click on it. I use gmail, but gmail was just being stupid.
Since you can't read your email I wouldn't advise unplugging the iPhone like i did b/c the iPhone doesn't show anything new until it's ready to be FINALLY activated and you get the email.
if that makes any sense.

I need sleep but iPhone is so more important. I'll check my email periodically if you have any other problems. :)

awesker3

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
yes, it was supposed to be a link but I couldn't click on it. I use gmail, but gmail was just being stupid.
Since you can't read your email I wouldn't advise unplugging the iPhone like i did b/c the iPhone doesn't show anything new until it's ready to be FINALLY activated and you get the email.
if that makes any sense.

I need sleep but iPhone is so more important. I'll check my email periodically if you have any other problems. :)

LOL, well sh_t, I have unplugged the phone and power cycled it now about 100 times. Unfortunately, nothing has changed.

Does the phone beep at you or anything when it finally activates?

Does it even matter that I am unplugging it and power cycling it? When it is ready, I am assuming it is ready, from what you are saying?

Thanks again. Give your 1st impressions also.

iPhoneObsessed

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS
www.myspace.com
LOL, well sh_t, I have unplugged the phone and power cycled it now about 100 times. Unfortunately, nothing has changed.

Does the phone beep at you or anything when it finally activates?

Does it even matter that I am unplugging it and power cycling it? When it is ready, I am assuming it is ready, from what you are saying?

Thanks again. Give your 1st impressions also.

No, it doesn't actually. With me it didn't even register that it was activated until after I got the email and couldn't click on the link I unplugged it and plugged it back in and that's when the 'iPhone is activating' message came up on the iPhone screen.

as for 1st impressions.... (and i'm a little biased, lol) it's awesome. So easy to use. The first thing I did was call and wake up my boyfriend. Then I programmed my most dialed numbers in (I don't use outlook or anything so I was just going to manually program my numbers in). Then I tried out the text messaging and the settings menu. the keyboard is great. I'm not 'great' at it, lol, but I can tell since it's my first time using it and there are little mistakes on my part (the keyboard fixes 99% of any mistakes) I just know that in a couple days i'll be faster than ever before typing.

I haven't even gotten on the internet yet with it.

Or synced it with my comp to put music or anything on it.

But.. only thing I did not like..

I can't get the visual voicemail to work yet. I even woke someone up and made them call me and leave a voicemail. but when I go to the voicemails all it does is dials the voicemail # and I listen to the thing like I always have on my old phones. maybe it's the area I live.. maybe we're not updated yet or something. maybe I need to sync it with my comp. or maybe it's a settings thing or something.

but that's my only complaint...

:)

awesker3

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
No, it doesn't actually. With me it didn't even register that it was activated until after I got the email and couldn't click on the link I unplugged it and plugged it back in and that's when the 'iPhone is activating' message came up on the iPhone screen.

as for 1st impressions.... (and i'm a little biased, lol) it's awesome. So easy to use. The first thing I did was call and wake up my boyfriend. Then I programmed my most dialed numbers in (I don't use outlook or anything so I was just going to manually program my numbers in). Then I tried out the text messaging and the settings menu. the keyboard is great. I'm not 'great' at it, lol, but I can tell since it's my first time using it and there are little mistakes on my part (the keyboard fixes 99% of any mistakes) I just know that in a couple days i'll be faster than ever before typing.

I haven't even gotten on the internet yet with it.

Or synced it with my comp to put music or anything on it.

But.. only thing I did not like..

I can't get the visual voicemail to work yet. I even woke someone up and made them call me and leave a voicemail. but when I go to the voicemails all it does is dials the voicemail # and I listen to the thing like I always have on my old phones. maybe it's the area I live.. maybe we're not updated yet or something. maybe I need to sync it with my comp. or maybe it's a settings thing or something.

but that's my only complaint...

:)

Awesome! When you say unplug it, do you mean the USB cable or were you removing the iPhone from the dock and re connecting it ?

I am not sure what the deal is with Visual Voicemail not working. If you are activated, it should work? You did not put in your own SIM card right?

iPhoneObsessed

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS
www.myspace.com
Awesome! When you say unplug it, do you mean the USB cable or were you removing the iPhone from the dock and re connecting it ?

I am not sure what the deal is with Visual Voicemail not working. If you are activated, it should work? You did not put in your own SIM card right?

yes, unplugging the usb cable from the comp is what I did.

I didn't put in my own sim card, I left the one that came with it in there.
I'll figure it out eventually, i'm sure. just after everything we've all been through today... i'm just glad it works. lol.. I hope you can get yours to work.. I really do. :)

::sends good vibes to your iPhone::

Goodnight. :)

mattmanatl

Jun 29, 2007
Woke up and still NOTHING!

OK, now I am officially pissed off... nothing after almost 12 hours, this really is sad... my iPhone still on activation screen, no second email...

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
and the morning of Day 2 begins

still no email, still says "by or after 8:55 PM June 30" in email -- whata joke -- they ahve no clue and yet give a precise time

and unlike others, my existing phone (Alltel) is still working so not even that part of the porting has begun

and my beloved iPhone does absolutely nothing but give me a shot to call 911 ... can do nothing to get beyond the Activate iPhone screen and start playing, exploring

only solace is seeing tons of others on many different boards in the same boat.

So much of what I heard about ATT's rep is apparently true. They were not ready and are soiling Apple's name and buzz killing the early thrill. I guess it will all get worked out but how long now is anyone's guess.

My " I told you so" friends and enemies are chirping loudly re wait, don't buy early, let others work out the problems. Even ttold my brother last night when we read that many stores would have stock today that he ought to just wait.

Real bummer

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
13 hours. My number sill works on my old cellular phone. Still waiting. AT&T seems to have stopped answering the phone.

"Spending $18,000,000 to upgrade your phone is impressive. Spending $18,000,000 a day is the new AT&T" ...... and apparently, not enough.
:sick:
:mad:

iLawyer

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Jersey
Phone number missing

Your right, the phone number for AT&T is gone. Here it is 877 419 4500. Give them hell.

mattmanatl

Jun 29, 2007
Passing the 12 hour mark no activation

I'm on hold with AT&T now and I think all of my patience is officially gone... I bought a $600.00 phone and now I have no phone and no service, even on my old phone. All of this after 6 months of anticipation... I'M A HUGE APPLE FAN... since the APPLE II, but this is going to hurt them, if people like me are getting this frustrated.

If I get through... I'll post any info...:mad:

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I just got through on this number that was in my email informing me of 855Pm tonight -- 877-800-3701.

The guy offerred nothing of use -- just the standard excuse of so many activations blah blah blah and hopefully it would be soon. And of course the parting Have a wonderful day.

I asked about an idea I read on the Apple forums of asking them to cancel your Activation if you were trying to port a number from a different carrier and then reactivate simply as a new customer with a new number and then waiting a few days until tthings settle down and go in store and let them port the number over there. he said it worked like a charm for him anad he was up and running quickly after doing that.

So i asked the guy about doing that but noooooooooo, he said he wasn't Customer Care and only they could do that possibly. he gives me another number for Customer Care but neglects to tell me they aren't even available 24/7 on a week end like this. So after punching tons of buttons to no avail finally get message that they do not open until 9EST.