Battery draining with everything off?

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I fell at sleep with my phone charging right next to me, I woke up around 5:00 AM and the battery was at 100% but the phone was boiling hot.
Hmmm THAT is not good thing. I leave my phone plugged in a night and it's never even warm when I unplug it. This is even in the otter box, which I would think would retain heat.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Hmmm THAT is not good thing. I leave my phone plugged in a night and it's never even warm when I unplug it. This is even in the otter box, which I would think would retain heat.
it was hot, like when you're using it while it's charging. I've left it charging all night before and it's never been hot nor warm.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I already sent a replacement back because it was worse than mine. I'm waiting for the update to see if it's a software issue.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I already sent a replacement back because it was worse than mine. I'm waiting for the update to see if it's a software issue.
What, you're going on your third 4S!

I've got 4 iPhone4(s) with 4 staff and the one with the wife and no lemons as expected.

That said, I've not once encountered stories of multiple replacements on my Droid forums whereas such reports here feel way above rare to put it nicely.

Ultimately, it just doesn't sync with the reported quality and build quality associated with Apple. Not trying to troll. Just expressing my surprise and impression. Course my bias is likely muddying my glasses. :)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
What, you're going on your third 4S!

I've got 4 iPhone4(s) with 4 staff and the one with the wife and no lemons as expected.

That said, I've not once encountered stories of multiple replacements on my Droid forums whereas such reports here feel way above rare to put it nicely.

Ultimately, it just doesn't sync with the reported quality and build quality associated with Apple. Not trying to troll. Just expressing my surprise and impression. Course my bias is likely muddying my glasses. :)

no, I'm still on my first 4S. The replacement rattle was louder than mine, you can hear it if you barely tap near the camera. My girlfriend 4S on sprint, same thing, went to the AT&T store this morning to look for a case, the guy that works there has a 4S, tapped on the back of the phone, and it rattles too. So I'm not concerned anymore, I have a year if it gets worse if I want to replace it.
The replacement phone that Apple sent me the screen was REALLY yellow, I love the warm colors on mine, that was definitely yellow.
The battery is something that a lot of people are dealing with right now, that was the only time I felt heat coming out of the phone while charging on standby. I'm waiting for 5.0.1 then if it happens again I'll bring it in to have the battery checked.
Every iPhone I've owned, including the first version, I've had it replaced for a reason or another, I have bad luck with the first one.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
no, I'm still on my first 4S. The replacement rattle was louder than mine, you can hear it if you barely tap near the camera. My girlfriend 4S on sprint, same thing, went to the AT&T store this morning to look for a case, the guy that works there has a 4S, tapped on the back of the phone, and it rattles too. So I'm not concerned anymore, I have a year if it gets worse if I want to replace it.
The replacement phone that Apple sent me the screen was REALLY yellow, I love the warm colors on mine, that was definitely yellow.
The battery is something that a lot of people are dealing with right now, that was the only time I felt heat coming out of the phone while charging on standby. I'm waiting for 5.0.1 then if it happens again I'll bring it in to have the battery checked.
Every iPhone I've owned, including the first version, I've had it replaced for a reason or another, I have bad luck with the first one.
I've owned 6 Droids, 2 brand new and 4 used. Only issue I've had with hardware was with a used Desire with a dead home soft-button, discovered the day after I bought it. Fortunately it was within it's year warranty so I easily had HTC ship an advanced replacement on it. Rooted all of mine as well as friends and have yet to brick one, fingers crossed.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I've owned 6 Droids, 2 brand new and 4 used. Only issue I've had with hardware was with a used Desire with a dead home soft-button, discovered the day after I bought it. Fortunately it was within it's year warranty so I easily had HTC ship an advanced replacement on it. Rooted all of mine as well as friends and have yet to brick one, fingers crossed.
the great customer service from Apple has never giving me any big issues on replacements, I can go in or call and get it replaced for every OCD problem I might have with it. So I'm not concerned in any way.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I had a staff MBP that had died with no sign of wear or damage out of warranty and Apple wanted $1300 for a new motherboard, outrageous. Made no sense when I could get a better spec'd laptop for just a bit more. I've had a Toshiba fail and the motherboard swap was a reasonable $300.

The other beef I've had was not being able to buy the last version of OS X for a PPC iMac. I wasn't even asking that the OS support the old chip but that they have a downloadable purchase option for the last compatible release.

Still, yes they do have a great retail front.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I just paid 2,000 bucks for a damage that wasn't even fixed on my BMW, yes, out of warranty is the key word.
That's life.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
WOW Thanks Benny! I just downloaded it and I'll see how it can help me with suggestions.

I unplugged my phone front the charger last night at 4:30am because it was at 100%.

Well, when I got up this morning at 9:00 it was at 85%! What?!?!?!?! That makes no sense. I did nothing over those four hours or so. IDK how my phone lost all that power and was doing nothing. (Apparently it was doing something!)

A fix will be coming soon. I cannot wait!

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
That's why I'm not all that worried about my phone being so warm while it was charging couple night ago. It seems as if the phone is working itself up in the middle of the night. Whatever that is, unless it's possessed.

Heacon

Bronze
Nov 3, 2011
With that cool app I do see wrong things in it. It. Says with 70% battery I got 140 hours left.. But I know mine uses 25% just on 8 hours while I sleep in airplane mode mind you... So it calculates what you should get and not what you actually get... Else it would be an awesome app

Sent from my iPhone 4s using iCafe app

Attime7

Jul 10, 2008
Just wanted to share, I have an iPhone 4 for work and a 4S for personal use. The 4S battery drains significantly faster than the 4. I am a developer and have downloaded the new Beta and there has been some improvement, but not a complete fix (hence the word Beta). I'm sure Apple will have this figured out pretty quickly. Good to know they are woking hard on it.

phonejunkie30

Bronze
Jul 22, 2009
Grand Prairie Tx
Just wanted to share, I have an iPhone 4 for work and a 4S for personal use. The 4S battery drains significantly faster than the 4. I am a developer and have downloaded the new Beta and there has been some improvement, but not a complete fix (hence the word Beta). I'm sure Apple will have this figured out pretty quickly. Good to know they are woking hard on it.
Not so sure I have not experienced this battery drain and I have wifi and Bluetooth on all day see my screen

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Attachments