Battery life improvement with update

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I just turned off all Notifications just to see what happens.

So Benny with Notifications on that would make the phone keep working or refreshing or something in order to get the notifications out?

I'll report on what happens next.
yeah, I had about 20 apps with push on only 8 on notification center. That can't help the battery, not the 4S anyway. Turning push off is not a good option for me, have to have push for text, todo, calendar, the basic stuff, I don't need it for google+ nor WWF. Try to have on as little as possible, but not off completely. Same can be said with location services, that's already been covered in numerous threads. Good luck.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Good call on that one Benny. Could be the root of all evil battery things ;)
well, I don't know about that lol
Still trying to figure out how it can be improved. With notification center now I completely overlooked something so simple as checking the other apps if push was still on.
I got the same 2 1/2 of usage now that I did before the update, not bad, but I was hoping for that extra 40 minutes or so.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I double checked mine and found a few to tweak. But I'm on wifi a good 90-95% of the time too. Not sure if that plays into it or not either.
I'm at 40% and have 4hr 10 minutes usage and 7hr 2in standby.

fletcher11

Bronze
Dec 21, 2008
I updated and my phone was 100% when I went bed 6 hours later it dropped 20% everything has been turned off no apps running. I'm really starting not to like the 4s anymore.

guest004

Oct 25, 2011
The update makes a difference really compare to before the update arrives But as times goes on Apple will will solve it properly. The good thing is they spot it very early and try to solve it.

fletcher11

Bronze
Dec 21, 2008
I would not say they have spotted it early it should have been spotted before they were released surely?

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Doesn't look too bad. Seems like a balance between the two of ours, at least time wise. Is this a 4 or 4s?
I would be happy if I get 5 1/2. I used to get around 6 1/2 that with playing games with it too, that up there is only browsing. I'm not giving up, trying different things, keeps me busy at work.

Hillbilly

Bronze
Feb 9, 2011
I opened a ticket with Apple support. Just got off phone with tech. He asked me to turn off everything except basically the phone. :( Sure, that's why I bought the newest iPhone.

Heacon

Bronze
Nov 3, 2011
Mine was super bad with updates earlier today and showed same usage as standby hours... What I did was a total restore and then it dident work... But around 92% suddenly it showed different usage theb standby ... Btw i played atleast 30-45 min games with this screenshot and dident touch Ipod. So i suggest total restore with 5.01 and hope suddenly it works don't lose faith if it doesn't work from start.. My battery dropped like a rocket when it showed same usage as standby when it changed battery stopped losing 3% an hour while standby... Weird

Sent from my iPhone 4s using iCafe app

Attachments

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Mine was super bad with updates earlier today and showed same usage as standby hours... What I did was a total restore and then it dident work... But around 92% suddenly it showed different usage theb standby ... Btw i played atleast 30-45 min games with this screenshot and dident touch Ipod. So i suggest total restore with 5.01 and hope suddenly it works don't lose faith if it doesn't work from start.. My battery dropped like a rocket when it showed same usage as standby when it changed battery stopped losing 3% an hour while standby... Weird

by total restore, you mean as new or from backup?

Heacon

Bronze
Nov 3, 2011
As new, first later I used my backup :) so restore to new then use the backup is what I did