Battery life on the iPhone 5

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Mine has been at 1% for about 2-3 hours now. And I just had a little session with Siri a couple of minutes ago, and the battery is still going. I'm impressed.

I hear though that if you extremely wanna take care of your batteries life that you have to only charge it when it's fully drained and unplug it from the charger only if it's fully charged and nothing else (not quarter way, not half way etc., but fully charged) and not to leave it plugged in when it's already fully charged. Mind you this was only what I was told by a techie a couple of years ago and what little research I did.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
^ mine was like that you need to fully charge to 100 Percent and then not turn off the phone. When mine was done at 100% I did a soft reset then it looked like yours so u fully charged it again to 100% then didn't disconnect it right away and seems to be working now
In fact, I did turn off the phone. That's what did it then. Is this new in iOS 6?

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
The best way to save battery life is to turn off Edge/3G/4G/LTE/WiFi when not in use as they do consume a substantial amount of power. When I'm at home I turn all that off and turn my Wifi on, and when I'm out and about I turn WiFi off and turn all the other stuff on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Allan knight

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
The best way to save battery life is to turn off Edge/3G/4G/LTE/WiFi when not in use as they do consume a substantial amount of power. When I'm at home I turn all that off and turn my Wifi on, and when I'm out and about I turn WiFi off and turn all the other stuff on.
Here's a great read on batteries:

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Squeeze_the_Most_Juice_Out_of_Your_iphone_or_iPad_Battery

There's one paragraph, however, that I don't get:

The main thing you can do to extend your battery's life is to follow one simple rule of thumb: ABC, or "Always Be Charging". The battery's typical Depth of Discharge, or DOD, is directly related to how many cycles it will take before its capacity drops to 80%. The more you have to charge your battery before it's full, the less full charge cycles you'll get out of it.

So, if you're constantly charging, you get less full charge cycles. Why would I want less full charge cycles?

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I am certain I have a bad battery I tried everything I know off todo.
I am talking you get an iP5 and you set it up from your back up (that is the same settings then before) so if you got the % what was said to have even batter life you should at a minimium have the same usage as before.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I am certain I have a bad battery I tried everything I know off todo.
I am talking you get an iP5 and you set it up from your back up (that is the same settings then before) so if you got the % what was said to have even batter life you should at a minimium have the same usage as before.
Definitely try to get a replacement! I don't think Apple Stores are going to give you a hard time. Another issue that some people seem to be having is bad Wi-Fi speeds, and Apple Stores have given some folks replacements for that issue.

It makes sense that Apple Stores would not give people a hard time about exchanges now. At least in my mind, I want to believe that they want their new iPhone customers as happy as possible, plus they are aware that new product launches aren't always the smoothest.

If you go get a new one, don't forget to open the box before you leave the store!-- Since there seem to be issues with some phones having imperfections straight out of the box. This should save you another trip back to the store!

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Rafagon Thank' s
I am backing it up at the moment on my computer and it has been quiet some time
My cloud back up was not any good it has all apps all over the place
I do have the Wifi issue as well.
I wonder if I can pay $100 extra and get the 64GB ? I love the camera on the phone and see myself taking a bunch more photos and vids
If they even have any to replace ?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Rafagon Thank' s
I am backing it up at the moment on my computer and it has been quiet some time
My cloud back up was not any good it has all apps all over the place
I do have the Wifi issue as well.
I wonder if I can pay $100 extra and get the 64GB ? I love the camera on the phone and see myself taking a bunch more photos and vids
If they even have any to replace ?
I'm sure Apple would love to sell you a more expensive phone. It makes sense, businesss-wise! Hopefully they can coordinate with AT&T to make this happen.

I too have Wi-Fi issues, but only when I try to use the iPhone on the newly supported 5GHz network. Fortunately, my router is dual-band, so I can just continue using the 2.4GHz I've been using all along for my iPhones. Here are some of my speed results on both networks:

Markyboy

Bronze
Oct 29, 2011
No lte in my area and its turned off. This is my 3rd cycle on charge. Im not thrilled yet.
Why are you not thrilled with that? By my calculation you'd get over 11 hours usage at that rate. Which means that either Apple have inserted an 80% larger battery into your phone or the battery needs calibrating. Probably the latter.

RyansTitan05

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 21, 2008
Anyone notice how the phone charges faster? Seems the phone is charging the phone twice as fast!

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
I'm sure Apple would love to sell you a more expensive phone. It makes sense, businesss-wise! Hopefully they can coordinate with AT&T to make this happen.

I too have Wi-Fi issues, but only when I try to use the iPhone on the newly supported 5GHz network. Fortunately, my router is dual-band, so I can just continue using the 2.4GHz I've been using all along for my iPhones. Here are some of my speed results on both networks:
So my genius was a grump and I couldn't get a bigger GB
no big deal
Anyway sporting a new phone still loading from back up

alamarco

Bronze
Nov 28, 2008
Canada
myfigurecollection.net
After a day of usage at work, I'm left disappointed. Hopefully a couple charges will get the battery going better as it was absolutely terrible today. I thought it was good over the weekend, but was able to get the real story today.

I stream podcasts over 3G all day at work. On my iPhone 4 I'd leave work with about 50% battery left and that's with keeping Bluetooth and WiFi on all day.

I didn't even make the full work day with the iPhone 5. I quickly reached 20% by lunch and that's with both Bluetooth and WiFi turned off when I noticed I was at 50%. I also have LTE turned off since I got the phone since my area currently does not have LTE.

I don't know whether it's the iPhone 5 or iOS 6, but I hope it's iOS 6 so a software update solves it. Unfortunately I didn't get my extra cords so I didn't have a charger at work. I got them in today so tomorrow will be a lot better, but that still doesn't mean the battery was okay.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
So my genius was a grump and I couldn't get a bigger GB
no big deal
Anyway sporting a new phone still loading from back up
Well, that's cool, did he offer any specific reason why you couldn't get the bigger GB? Did he point the finger at AT&T, or did he just say there was no way to do it?

Hope you have better luck with the battery life now, let me know!

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Rafagon he said I had to return it where I bought.
Like I said he was a grump
I had taken my receipt with me and I said APPLE STORE
He said I have to take what I had
I said OK but don't I have a 30 day return policy
He said nothing !
He walked away

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
This new phone takes a lot longer to charge if that says anything?
I had no chance to test the usage yet.
But anyway one thing I noticed the USB is off somehow
I got an extension USB cable so son can charge in the backseat of the car
and almost couldn't take it back out. It seems to be a bid loose or to tight ?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
This new phone takes a lot longer to charge if that says anything?
I had no chance to test the usage yet.
But anyway one thing I noticed the USB is off somehow
I got an extension USB cable so son can charge in the backseat of the car
and almost couldn't take it back out. It seems to be a bid loose or to tight ?
It's too bad he was like that--that was definitely not good customer service. Certainly not what we should be getting at an Apple store! Sorry to hear about that.

I can tell you that mine charges pretty much at the same speed as my older iPhones. The last percentage point--from 99% to 100%--seem to take the longest. But that is the same way as on my older iPhones.

The USB cable that is too tight is only the extension--not the Apple one that came with the phone, right?

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
I thought it was the USB extension but saw on McRumors some had issues with their's being tight.
I used it at a few other plugs and noticed tightness but did not think anything of it until I stumbled at the thread at McRumors. Something to look out for.
To bad Apple did not bother for a carcharger.
I wonder anyway if that release was a little pre mature ?
Passbook is not ready either?
I keep thinking of the day the announced the 4 and the colorful bumpers or the iPad and the smart cover.
But this time nothing? I believe the intent is to have this phone bare and it seems very well manufactured to be that way. Not announcing those features makes sense. People will go back for any little scratch and exchange it for cosmetic reasons evenso they are the cause.